cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frequent dropped calls

Crockett1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I live in Nanaimo, BC and have ongoing problems with calls dropping unexpectedly. This morning, I had a call to a number in Ontario drop four times. Each party was stationary, so the signal wasn’t inconsistent. I have noticed that depending on where I am in town, the bars for my cellar connection can be at the low end. Not sure why this would be, considering Public Mobile is using Telus lines. Anyway, it might not be relevant. Does anyone have any suggestions?

13 REPLIES 13

I love that phone. I have the SE 2020. I can't wait till the SE 4 comes out!!

With regards to you being on the 15GB 4G plan, there is no reason to go on the 3G network for your phone to work. You should stick to the 4G network since you're paying for it. If you continue to have dropped calls while on this network after removing the "automatic" and choosing Public Mobile directly (after reboot) then please let us know. We may have to help you escalate this. 

Crockett1

We’ll see if staying on 3G helps. I don’t have another phone to do a sim swap, unfortunately. If the problem persists, I’ll contact customer service agent. Thanks for the link and information.

Crockett1

It’s an iPhone SE. I’ve dropped it once or twice, but it has a good case, so no damage as far as I know. 

Crockett1

I’m on the 15 GB plan at 4G speed. 

Crockett1

Thanks for the ideas. I’ve set the phone to 3G and Public Mobile as the preferred network as per the above suggestions, so I’m going to see if that makes a difference before I try to reset the networks.

Crockett1

Yes, that was me. I just rebooted with the preferred network set to Public Mobile. We’ll see if that makes a difference. Thanks for the suggestion.

What plan are you on?

Crockett1

I’ve switched it to 3G, so we’ll see if that works. Thanks for the suggestion. 

Crockett1

I’ll give that a try. 

Crockett1

Coverage is five in my area according to the map. 

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Personally myself, I prefer to go into network settings and remove the automatic and pick Public Mobile. Then I reboot. That way when the phone reboots, it's stuck on the PM network instead of bouncing off a different tower. Just my thought. You can see if that works.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Crockett1  Try your network setting to 3G see if that helps with voice . If it does leave like that for a day and switch it back to 4G/LTE or even 5G test all networks in different areas for what gives you the best signal 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Crockett1 

wonder if it is your phone or the 3G or VoLTE issue in your arae

• Try to click Reset All Networks and see if it helps
  • and do you have another phone to test the PM sim ? just to make sure it is not a device problem.  Also, that can force a sim card re-provision and it could resolve the problem
  • Also, try the phone in another area if possible, it could be just a local network outage
  • You can also try to see if VoLTE works.  But first, what brand and model of phone you have?
    You can check the VoLTE compatibility here:  https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/volte
    If you have a compatible one try to turn on VoLTE

iPhone: Likely no extra work need to do as Telus will enable by default but hide the option.  Still you can check
                     Settings->Cellular->Cellular Data Options->Voice & Data, enable 4G or LTE there
    Pixel Likely no extra work need to do as Telus will enable by default but hide the option.  Still you can check
                    Settings->Network and Internet->Internet, click on the settings icon besides SIM 1, turn on 4G calling there
    Samsung/ Other Android: Settings->Connection->Mobile Data, enable VoLTE there

Now, turn off Wifi first. Check if the phone status bar showing it is connected to 4G or LTE

Then make some calls, see if the signal indicator shows LTE or drop back to H or 3G while you are on the calls.  If it stays with LTE, then yes, you are using VoLTE, and you can see if calls are any better.  

Need Help? Let's chat.