cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone plans

Jay_ca
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Why there is only 3G plan options available and even no single phone plan with 4G service on public mobile website?

Finally, it feels like chatr because they have only 3G service phone plans.

Thanks for attention.

15 REPLIES 15

@Lemony_Snicket  Maybe but if you consider that I pretty much have a 100m buffer zone around me and the closest building to me except my neighbour whose Shaw network I could pick up on the very west side of my house....so I don't think that's the issue. When I look for available networks only 3 others show up that's pretty low available networks for the city.

Lemony_Snicket
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@darlicious wrote:

@mimmo wrote:

@darlicious  there are several. Lightpeed  techsavy cantelnet and a few others.  Much depends on your location.

They should all go to single family.  

You could have bad hardware. I know wireless signal drops speed significantly  depending on location of router etc. 

@mimmo  @Lemony_Snicket   There has definitely been an improvement since they put the booster? In especially when more than 8 ft away from the modem. As well it has given us two Bands now rather than just the 2.4mhz. The speed still widely varies even when several speed tests are run consecutively ranging from 5.0 to 25mbps the upload consistently is higher than the download which is a little weird?!! May be the router...only thing not replaced when installed in 2012 and upgraded to fibre optic 2 years ago. I have to say compared to the 5 techs before...the last 2 were fantastic. The first one Nathan did some diagnostics got the speed up to half (25mbps) but was not happy with that and sent the tech out with booster. Speed dropped within 24 hrs. After the booster was installed the speed jumped to 55mbps but has been up and down since with the low of 0.4mbps the other night with just me on this site at 1am going wtf waiting forever to view each new post. That tech support gave me an entire tutorial on how troubleshoot the WiFi from radio frequencies, the online settings menu for the WiFi to additional reading available. I feel empowered by my new found knowledge and grateful I didn't get the usual upsell as usage and devices are not our issue nor % of interference. That all being said of the 20 or so internet providers I have checked only one who has yet to get back to me...may have service for me. All others are apt and condos only...across the street, one lot over, down the street, across the alley but not to my house, the neighbour's or the corner lot. I think Shaw and telus know that and can take advantage...shaw has infinitely faster and better service as I've seen and used next door after they switched from telus for same issues I have.

Could the problem be locally there's large number of WiFi signals?  The signals do interfere with each other.

@mimmo wrote:

@darlicious  there are several. Lightpeed  techsavy cantelnet and a few others.  Much depends on your location.

You could have bad hardware. I know wireless signal drops speed significantly  depending on location of router etc. 

@mimmo  @Lemony_Snicket   There has definitely been an improvement since they put the booster? In especially when more than 8 ft away from the modem. As well it has given us two Bands now rather than just the 2.4mhz. The speed still widely varies even when several speed tests are run consecutively ranging from 5.0 to 25mbps the upload consistently is higher than the download which is a little weird?!! May be the router...only thing not replaced when installed in 2012 and upgraded to fibre optic 2 years ago. I have to say compared to the 5 techs before...the last 2 were fantastic. The first one Nathan did some diagnostics got the speed up to half (25mbps) but was not happy with that and sent the tech out with booster. Speed dropped within 24 hrs. After the booster was installed the speed jumped to 55mbps but has been up and down since with the low of 0.4mbps the other night with just me on this site at 1am going wtf waiting forever to view each new post. That tech support gave me an entire tutorial on how troubleshoot the WiFi from radio frequencies, the online settings menu for the WiFi to additional reading available. I feel empowered by my new found knowledge and grateful I didn't get the usual upsell as usage and devices are not our issue nor % of interference. That all being said of the 20 or so internet providers I have checked only one who has yet to get back to me...may have service for me. All others are apt and condos only...across the street, one lot over, down the street, across the alley but not to my house, the neighbour's or the corner lot. I think Shaw and telus know that and can take advantage...shaw has infinitely faster and better service as I've seen and used next door after they switched from telus for same issues I have.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

PAULRANG18
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

PM provides 3G, which is still fast enough and I don't notice a difference between 3 and 4G. This how PM keeps their prices low. Moving to Koodo or Telus would be wise if you need faster speeds. Home internet has nothing to do with your mobile speeds.

@ I'll check them out...biggest problem is most smaller companies only supply to multi-dwelling 

buildings.

Lemony_Snicket

@darlicious wrote:

@Lemony_Snicket  Oh let me tell you I'm not happy about it. I'm am fully upgraded to telus's fibre optic network. And believe me I haven't cheaper out but I'm just about ready to ask for a credit for the difference between the price of dial up and what I've been paying. The problem with firing telus is the only other option is Shaw who I vowed 13 years ago to never give another cent of my money to. If you know of another internet provider in Vancouver that will supply internet service to a single family home I'm all ears.

Try using a reseller brand like teck savvy.  I am not sure this is the right term to describe these companies. These companies piggy back on the cable that comes into the home so they don't have to supply their own.  After that they take care of the rest on routing your data to it's destination.  Nice thing about these companies is they are less inclined on having the annual increase and they respect the customer, not just their money. 

@Lemony_Snicket  Oh let me tell you I'm not happy about it. I'm am fully upgraded to telus's fibre optic network. And believe me I haven't cheaper out but I'm just about ready to ask for a credit for the difference between the price of dial up and what I've been paying. The problem with firing telus is the only other option is Shaw who I vowed 13 years ago to never give another cent of my money to. If you know of another internet provider in Vancouver that will supply internet service to a single family home I'm all ears.

Lemony_Snicket

@darlicious wrote:

But at least the speed is consistent @Lemony_Snicket  the crap I've gone thru with telus Trying to fix my terribly slow home WiFi that was limping along between 0.5mbps and 3.0mbps when its supposed be 50mbps got the boyfriend so pissed he burned thru 8.5gb on his phone at home because he could barely get Facebook to load. Even now with a signal booster while improved hits lows of 0.5mbps and highs of 55.mbps there something to be said for consistency.

Is your home internet put together with white glue and toothpicks, lol.  It's totally inconceivable to have home internet that is slower than phone data even full 4G speed.  Did you cheap out and buy a very slow internet service or maybe they gave you really bad hardware.  I have fiber optic right to the modem with crazy speeds.  Time to fire your internet provider. 

But at least the speed is consistent @Lemony_Snicket  the crap I've gone thru with telus Trying to fix my terribly slow home WiFi that was limping along between 0.5mbps and 3.0mbps when its supposed be 50mbps got the boyfriend so pissed he burned thru 8.5gb on his phone at home because he could barely get Facebook to load. Even now with a signal booster while improved hits lows of 0.5mbps and highs of 55.mbps there something to be said for consistency.

Lemony_Snicket

The data is supposed to be 4G but slowed to a crawl.  This is somewhat like home internet where customers have a choice of paying more for extra.  Unfortunately it's not like home internet where data usage is typically unlimited.

I had 4g before I switched I can't see any discernable difference between 3g and 4g. I do see a very big difference between the cost of my plan. A reduction of 70%

@mimmo wrote:

People seem to forget that PM is a 3rd tier provider giving  "Less for Less".   If you need/want more then they hope you to migrate to koodo or telus.

They want to charge more. They like to use fancy stats to shareholders like postpaid to prepaid ratio and ARPU.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

People seem to forget that PM is a 3rd tier provider giving  "Less for Less".   If you need/want more then they hope you to migrate to koodo or telus.

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

@Jay_ca wrote:

Why there is only 3G plan options available and even no single phone plan with 4G service on public mobile website?

Finally, it feels like chatr because they have only 3G service phone plans.

Thanks for attention.

It's a decision to make Public different from Koodo and Telus. This much better tham Chatr 3g.  LTE is 3Mbps with a 3g plan but 3g is full speed.

Need Help? Let's chat.