cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone losing network connection

Ed10
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

after being on a subway, underground parking or even simple reboot it takes up to 30 min until phone sees the network again. 

18 REPLIES 18

@Ed10 glad it is all sorted out.  Enjoy

Ed10

I'm happy to let everybody know that the issue was resolved.  The problem was that the iPhone was purchased through Rogers and even unlocked it still kept Rogers in the setting as the primary network provider which apparently prevented it from getting instantly connected to the PM network. The solution was to perform a full reset (erase)  and now everything works. Thank you for your help and suggestions.

Is LTE selected in all places that it can be set? Maybe it's currently on 2G which Rogers would answer to.

Ed10

Thank you. I followed your advice and sent a message to the customer service.

@Ed10 

but you said "  I have a family member with public mobile and we tried switching SIMs - both devices can see the network instantly."

So, when your sim is on another phone, it sees the network instantly?  When your family sim on your phone, it seems the network instantly too?  It still hard to determine if it is an account issue or device.

Again, try  change the network connection from Automatic to Manual and pick Public Mobile from the list.  It could help as the phone does not have to search and test different networks

if it still does not work, open ticket with support and ask them to reprovision your account/sim and see if it helps

**Monitor your Community inbox (envelope icon on top right) after the ticket is opened.  CS Agent will reply to you there

Ed10

Yes, you understood it correctly - switching the SIM card doesn't affect the connectivity. The problem starts when I go off the network (reboot, subway) and then it takes 10-20 min to reconnect. Eventually it does reconnect but I don't know why the lag is so big.

Ed10

Thank you, it's iphone 13, and the latest ios. In the manual mode, it sees only Rogers and nothing else 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Ed10   

I am also interested to know what phone do you have, brand and model?

is it on the latest OS?

and, change the network connection from Automatic to Manual and pick Public Mobile from the list.  It could help as the phone does not have to search and test different networks

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Ed10 wrote:

no network means no network - no calls in/out, no internet, and when after 20 min it connects I got a bunch of voicemails/text messages.  I have a family member with public mobile and we tried switching SIMs - both devices can see the network instantly.

@Ed10 - I am trying to understand this test you did. If you switched sims and both connected instantly, then your account and sim seems fine. But in the same breathe your device seems fine too, since your family member's sim card worked quickly in your device.

Have I understood this correctly?

Sometimes the simple fact of trying a sim card into another phone, then moving it back to your phone may help.

Now that you put your sim card back into your phone is it better? Check the mobile connections to see that Public Mobile is chosen or is on automatic. Maybe perform a reset of the network settings again.

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@Ed10 

Did the connectivity issues begin immediately after renewal? A provisioning issue commonly occurs at this time because payment to your account is a provisioner of your Sim card. Before pm restricted top up payment amounts to your upcoming plan renewal payment making a $1 top up to your account was the best troubleshooting tip for these kind of issues.

Once we more or less lost that ability (It still works but can cost a lot more than $1!!) we could only suggest suspending via lost/stolen but even that tip doesn't appear to work anymore and may still cause the rewards glitch of not automatically applying upon renewal.

Ask for your account to be reset and your Sim card reprovisioned by the CSA. If the connection issues persist then your Sim card is wearing out....rare but it happens. You can ask if pm will send you a free replacement Sim card or credit your account for the cost of a sim card. (This one of the reasons to always have a spare one on hand.)

@Handy1 

I believe pm has fixed the mobile device sim swapping issue as I had no problem swapping Sim cards after creating an eversafe ID using my tablet. Whereas previously I could only get Sim cards swapped out thru customer support because I had no easy access to a PC or laptop computer.  Public Mobile has thrown all of its security eggs in one eversafe basket as no 2FA code was needed to swap Sim cards.

Hopefully I never say neversafe🤞.....Again Public mobile is Grrrreat!!! 🐯🐈😀

@Ed10 

You might want to reach out to customer support to at least have them reprovision the account on their end.

Then give it another go.

To contact a Customer Support Agent, there are 2 methods: (folks seem to be having better success with the second option)

1. Use the ticketing system for a faster response time. Click here to create a support ticket, then type Customer Support Agent, then Contact Us,  or
  2. Send a private message to Customer Support Agent by clicking here.  You’ll need to be logged into your Community account for the link to work.

Watch for their response in your Community private mailbox which will be indicated by a number on the small envelope icon to the left of your Community avatar.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Ding. Ding. Ding…

Then it’s a devices issue @Ed10 , not an account or SIM issue.

That is, if by “switching Sims” you meant putting your Public Mobile Sim card in a different device resulted in the network popping back normally.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Ed10  So maybe you need a new SIM card and swap in profile tab in my account like this 

SIM  SWAPPING  profile tabs

Handy1_0-1687698890593.png

Note only do this on lap top or computer/ not mobile device

Ed10

no network means no network - no calls in/out, no internet, and when after 20 min it connects I got a bunch of voicemails/text messages.  I have a family member with public mobile and we tried switching SIMs - both devices can see the network instantly.

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@Ed10 

What's the make and model of your phone?

Ed10

Yes, thank you. I’ve tried everything including network reset and it still the same - it takes 15-20 min until the phone is able to find the public mobile network again. 

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Ed10 

That's odd.

Even though the device doesn't appear to be "seeing the network", what happens when you actually try to send/receive a SMS or call during this time it appears to be searching?

It may very well still work - try it.

You might also want to (if possible), try an alternate device in the same circumstances to see if it has the same connection troubles.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Ed10  Have you tried resetting network settings does that help . Do you leave windows open and not closed 

Need Help? Let's chat.