cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone cut off

Sage834
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

IAM a loyal customer, my phone was cut today cause I live in Newfoundland and we have had a SOE for a week. Guess what, no paychecks to pay your bill. Shame on you Public Mobile.  I'm stuck with no service that's not my fault.

23 REPLIES 23

@Sage834  The state of emergency in Newfoundland is certainly of great inconvenience for many. Its too bad the provincial government does not have a plan in place for these types of unusual circumstances to help those with less financial security. Going forward you (and your fellow constituents) should put pressure on your local political representatives to insist that the government has a better emergency preparedness program in place so people such as yourself dont fall between the cracks. Usually a charity like the red cross is put in charge of distributing emergency funds during a crisis to help tide over citizens in need.

@CannonFodder wrote:

@will13am  That, and according to the TV news tonight, the State of Emergency has been lifted, so I suppose the OP should be getting paid soon..... hopefully.

A little off topic, the winds were just as bad as the snow.  The fact that the cellular network didn't collapse sure to the inclement weather speaks to how the cellular network is as resilient as the ubiquitous landline.  

XionBunny
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

probably is a safer bet to be on regular postpaid service in the future, since weather events like that seem common lately, just for the added peace of mind.

@will13am  That, and according to the TV news tonight, the State of Emergency has been lifted, so I suppose the OP should be getting paid soon..... hopefully.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

It would be nice if there was a simple way for Public Mobile to extend some grace period to the customers in the east coast.  I doubt that it could be put in place in time to be useful.  

@totalUser wrote:

@CannonFodder having cc and access to one is a bit different, it's possible to borrow if there is a family member with the trust. Leaving it registered in autopay could be beneficial for both, op passes cash on time and the card holder collects some cashbacks or points. 

Yeah, true enough, and when typing my post above, I actually thought about that, but then got to thinking about how you need to input the name on the credit card exactly as it appears on invoices, to make sure it goes through, and given how that wouldn't be the name of the OP, it wouldn't work, BUT upon further thought on the subject, there are plenty of PM accounts that are using someone else's credit card(such as parents cards paying for their kid's cell account).

@CannonFodder wrote:

@totalUser wrote:

Hi @Sage834 

Do you have access to a credit card? It will lower your bill and give you some extra data.

You will not lose your account for 90 days.

Yeah, I COMPLETELY didn't think about that option when I posted my last time in this thread, but thought about it later. I think it's fairly safe to assume, though, that the OP doesn't have a credit card, or he would've used it in this particular circumstance, or would've set his account on autopay to start with.

@CannonFodder having cc and access to one is a bit different, it's possible to borrow if there is a family member with the trust. Leaving it registered in autopay could be beneficial for both, op passes cash on time and the card holder collects some cashbacks or points. 

@totalUser wrote:

Hi @Sage834 

Do you have access to a credit card? It will lower your bill and give you some extra data.

Yeah, I COMPLETELY didn't think about that option when I posted my last time in this thread, but thought about it later. I think it's fairly safe to assume, though, that the OP doesn't have a credit card, or he would've used it in this particular circumstance, or would've set his account on autopay to start with.

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

Hi @Sage834 

What plan are you on?

@Sage834 wrote:

IAM a loyal customer, my phone was cut today cause I live in Newfoundland and we have had a SOE for a week. Guess what, no paychecks to pay your bill. Shame on you Public Mobile.  I'm stuck with no service that's not my fault.

I do think that it would be great if Public Mobile made exceptions for this circumstance. However, they are under no obligation to do so. When payment is not received, the services do stop working. I do know that Telus customer service did use to override prepaid plan expiry dates occassionally upon request depending on individual cirucumstances, but I'm unsure if they still do. As for getting Public Mobile to, I would say that it's unlikely, but if they they did, that likely have to come from high up within the corporation to issue such a directive to allow it on a mass scale.

@Sage834  As I see it, you have two options:

1.) Contact the Moderators, explain your situation, and see if they can POSSIBLY work something out, although TBH, I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

2.) Once the SOE is over and you get paid, and re-activate your plan, if you don't want to get stuck in this sort of situation again, maybe it'd be best to switch to a postpaid plan, with another provider, such that if this sort of situation arises again, you'll at least have a certain amount of time to pay your bill before you get cut off.

Sage834

**bleep**.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Sage834 wrote:

You are not helping. Please refrain replying to me.

To get your phone working again, login to your self-serve account to pay your plan fee and click the reactivate your account link on the overview page to get your phone working ASAP.

@Dunkman wrote:

Public mobile payment system is automated. Public mobile does not know each customer circumstances.  

@Sage834  While that sucks for sure, I think @Dunkman  hit the nail on the head here. To elaborate a little further on that point, how do you suppose PM's automated system is supposed to differentiate between you not paying the bill because the bookeeper at your work hasn't been allowed to do the job for a week, vs. any other Newfoundland customer that has been paid by their work, and simply hasn't paid their PM bill, because they maybe forgot?

Sage834

You are not helping. Please refrain replying to me.

So your employers excuse not to pay you was the SOE and that the bookkeeper didn't work. Shame on them. They could have issued everyone with for example 500 to tide them over and pay the rest later.

@Sage834 wrote:

State of emergency!

Sage834

I can't get my paycheck cause the bookeeper is not allowed to return to work until the state of emergency is over. Duh

Sage834

State of emergency!

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@Sage834 Hate to say it, but if you don't pay your bills you lose the service. Sorry to hear about the lack of a job. What is an SOE? 

@Sage834 wrote:

Sage834

I'm sure they have heard about Newfoundland SOE. Exceptions should be made for these customers!

Sage834

Not my fault the bookkeeper hasn't worked for 7 days!

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Sage834 

Sorry to hear about your troubles. 

Public mobile is prepaid.  If you don’t pay, your service will be suspended. You have 90 days to reactivate your plan. Otherwise your account will be permanently closed and phone number lost.

Public mobile payment system is automated. Public mobile does not know each customer circumstances.  

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Sorry to hear but it's not Public Mobiles fault if you did not pay your bill. Any cell provider would be same.

Need Help? Let's chat.