cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone compatibility

plee6657
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Greetings,

I plan to purchase a UK phone (Nokia 215 4G). However, I understand that Public Mobile uses UMTS/HSPA Band 2 & 5. I am aware that the UK phone only has Band 5. Do I need both bands for voice calls and texts? Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5

Try looking into this NA model which may be a better option.  Nokia 225 4G

@plee6657 

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@plee6657 wrote:

I plan to purchase a UK phone (Nokia 215 4G). However, I understand that Public Mobile uses UMTS/HSPA Band 2 & 5. I am aware that the UK phone only has Band 5. Do I need both bands for voice calls and texts? Thanks!

You should ideally have both 3G bands 2 (1900mhz) & 5 (850Mhz), but it appears that phone will only work with band 5. Not all areas will have both bands (notable recent example from March 2021 where 850mhz was decommissioned in Brandon & Winnipeg MB), and you may occasionally find other areas with only 1900mhz service available. With that said, if you're only going to have one, it's better to have 850Mhz as it has better range/coverage.

The device has acceptable LTE band compatibility with band 1, 5, & 7 matching up - so that will be used primarily when idle, data & texting. Calls will have to drop down to 3G.

RosieR
Mayor / Maire

@plee6657 according to Willmyphonework , it will not work.  check it out yourself

Nokia 215 not compatible.png

Have a nice day

RosieR

plee6657
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thanks, I will consider other options.

@plee6657 wrote:

Greetings,

Assuming that it doesn't have UMTS band 2, I would not purchase it for use with Public Mobile. There will be places that don't have UMTS on 850MHz. In those locations, phone calls will not work.

Need Help? Let's chat.