cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone calls going straight to voice mail phone not ringing

Chris77
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I need you to please assist refreshing the network settings of my SIM card. I tried already all the troubleshooting recommended on the community platform (do not disturb, bluetooth, call forwarding, block list, etc) and it is still not working. I do not have another device to try the SIM on. This issue has been going on for several weeks now.

Thank you!

24 REPLIES 24

Agent_E

In my case, it seems my phone1 has a faulty antenna and could not get a strong enough reception signal in certain areas. But on day1 when I swapped the SIM card to phone2, both coincidentally did not have strong reception on that day. Now phone2 works while phone1 is faulty.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@charlieejn 

No it's not but it does tell me your 3G signal strength is good so that's not your issue. It's likely your sim card is about to die. You are in Toronto so check out Canadian Cell Supplies for a $2.99 sim card and swap out your sim in your self serve account for the new one. That's going to be your solution.

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include in your private messaging only your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

charlieejn

I did just switch my phone to 3G only and it says -81dBm

This is NOT a fix though. I have an old plan which includes 4G data, so there's no way I'm prepared to stick with 3G. I'm very likely to switch to another network because of this. I think I should be refunded any credit I have because I'm clearly not being given the service I've paid for.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@charlieejn 

You have your phone set to 3G only? If not then do so....then go to About Phone>>SIM Card/Status : Signal Strength>> You want to see -60 dBm to -90dBm but report back the reading of your 3G signal strength.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include in your private messaging only your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

charlieejn

This is still happening. Has anyone found a solution which works?

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@charlieejn 

Have you tried rebooting your phone? Then toggle airplane mode on/off. It could be a poor connection to the network. Airplane mode completely disconnects you and then establishes a brand new connection....in this case to the 3G network that pm uses for voice calls.

charlieejn

@darlicious I did just receive a call but the caller said it kept cutting out and at one point it went completely and she had to call me back. On the second call I had turned off wifi and mobile data to try and just get the call through the network but she said I still kept cutting out. This is despite my phone saying I have full signal and I'm pretty sure there's cells on the top of the building next to mine. I could hear her perfectly though. This has only happened when I've been at home, so could it be an issue with this location?

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@charlieejn 

Did customer support refreshing the network reprovision your sim card? Downloading a voip provider app like textnow or fongo will allow you to perform call or texting tests when you don't have another phone # to test with.

@Agent_E 

Is pm sending you a new SIM card? It can sometimes take a few weeks to arrive. Canadian Cell Supplies has a North York retail location and a Mississauga pick up location. Their free shipping via Canada Post in the GTA is probably 2 business days max. For $2.99+tax you can have a new pm SIM card in your phone probably a lot quicker than the free one being sent out to you from pm. You can always keep the free SIM card as a spare or refer a friend with it.

https://canadiancellsupplies.com/collections/sim-cards/products/public-mobile-multi-sim-card-3-in-1-...

@Chris77 

Has customer support been in touch and reprovisioned your sim card? For future reference the 3 most effective ways to specifically reprovision your sim card on the customer end are as follows :

1. Remove your sim card. If possible put it in another unlocked working phone. Otherwise keep it out of your phone for at least 10 minutes. Reseat the SIM card and reboot your phone.
  2. Log into your self serve account. Make a $1 manual top up payment by choosing "other amount" and confirming and submitting the payment. Log out and reboot your phone.
  3. Log into your account. Go to the plans or usage page. Click on lost/stolen. Suspend your service. Log out/in. Resume your service. Log out and reboot.**

Test your phone after each troubleshooting tip to see if it was successful or not.

**If you are on the old rewards program this very effective reprovisioning troubleshooting tip does cause a glitch with your rewards not applying upon renewal. You will have to contact customer support after renewal and ask the them to apply your rewards manually. Use it only if you cannot immediately contact customer support to reprovision your sim card.

Agent_E

They said it may be bad SIM card issue. I will report back once my SIM card replacement arrives.

JL9
Mayor / Maire

Was it fully working and this just happened the last few weeks? Or are a you new customer who just activated a few weeks ago?

charlieejn

I created a ticket and got a response saying they've refreshed the network, just power cycle your phone and try again. I haven't been able to test it yet because I don't have another phone to call myself on.

@Agent_E wrote:

This did not work since last week.

I have tried many of the things that has been recently posted on this forum. I used another phone, checked the SIM and the result is the same.

@Agent_E   I hope you have opened a ticket with PM Support already.  Please let us know what was the issue and what did they do. 

Agent_E

This did not work since last week.

I have tried many of the things that has been recently posted on this forum. I used another phone, checked the SIM and the result is the same.

@charlieejn   if you are on old plan , that  you could have true LTE speed

It could be GTA issue, but according to Telus official outage page (TELUS Service Status) , there is no issue reported in GTA

Open a ticket with PM Support first and see what they say.  If you have not done so, try to reseat your sim

charlieejn

Could this be an issue in Toronto then? It's definitely happened over the last two days. I did receive calls from different numbers on Tuesday though. It also happened multiple times a few weeks ago.

@softech I have a plan from about 4 years ago which includes full 4G LTE data, so it shouldn't be getting throttled.

@Agent_E   it was working fine earlier and just having problem today?  Try to reseat the sim (power off, take sim out for a minute before putting it all back)

Agent_E

I reside in Ontario within the GTA which supposedly has problems on the Telus outage map.

Switching to 3G doesn't change anything. Same problem.

@charlieejn   Submitting a ticket via chatbot would require that you sign into the Community account again (even though you are already signed in) as part of the verification.  Then you would get a response from one of the support team via your message inbox, top right,for further information or suggestions.  Were you able to successfully submit the ticket?  Otherwise try the private message link.

@charlieejn   at least try to switch 3G only and see if it works.  No worry about the data speed, our speed on LTE in fact throttled at 3Mpbs but on 3G , it's unthrottled and it can reach 12Mpbs 

for ticket opening, if it didn't ask you any details likely you have not opened a formal ticket yet, please open ticket with one of the 2 ways below:

1. If you have access to My account: Click on the bubble on the lower right or https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot.

Start by typing "Submit a ticket", then click "Contact Us", Then click "Other", then click "Click here to submit a ticket ↗" 

2. If you don't have access to My Account or have trouble with Chatbot: Private message CS Agent at: 

**Monitor your Community inbox (envelope icon on the top right) after the ticket is opened.  CS Agent will reply you there

charlieejn

@dabr yes I did submit a ticket after going through the chat bot. I assume it included the chat conversation because it didn't ask me to enter details?

@softech switching to 3G doesn't really sound like a solution. I don't want to limit my data speed to get calls to work. It needs a real fix. Data is by far the main use I have for the phone. It's happening when I'm connected over wifi and I've tried enabling the VoIP setting too.

@Agent_E @Chris77 @charlieejn   which area are you at  (city /province)?

Try to set your phone Preferred Network to 3G ONLY/WCDMA ONLY and see if it helps.  With voice issue, this settings could reduce missed calls

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Chris77 @charlieejn @Agent_E 

Have you contacted customer support and asked them to take a look at your accounts?  Because if you've tried all the possible troubleshooting tips and there is no outage in your area, then the next option is to submit a ticket for assistance.

Here's couple of links for support with chatbot being PM's preferred option unless the ticket is unable to be submitted and then you can private message CS_Agent..

https://widget.telus.tiia.ai/publicmobile/publicmobile.html

charlieejn

I am having exactly the same issue for a few weeks now. It's incredibly frustrating. Some calls get through to me without an issue whereas calls from certain numbers just go straight to voicemail. I've tried all the previous suggestions and other phones and it hasn't fixed the issue. I'm in Toronto and I have no problem calling out, data is fine too. Someone really needs to fix this. If it persists I'm going to really consider switching to another network.

Agent_E

I have the same problem possibly due to a Telus outage problem. Calls don't work while data and SMS are fine.

You can check if your area may be near the outage areas.

https://istheservicedowncanada.com/status/telus/map

Need Help? Let's chat.