cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone calls from unknown

Kicker
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Today, between 9.00 and now I have received 7 phone calls from within Ontario also Saskatchewan and Alberta. Most I ignored but one within Ontario and a 705 #, I answered. No one there. So I tried call on my landline but got recorded message on all three ca not connect or out of service. Any ideas

11 REPLIES 11

MrElbe
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

If you answer and seemingly no one there is your first clue. These are computer dialled random calls from a call center. If you answer then the call center gets an indication and if one of the spammers is available, they will answer  your call. The latest spam calls are about:

- phoney parcels for you that contain illegal stuff.

- CRA tax and imminent prosecution.

- Social insurance number fraud and your imminent prosecution.

- "Windows department" detected a virus on your computer. 

It's quite entertaining to lead these guys on. Also there are hilarious YouTube videos reverse spamming these call centers. 

Jayannon
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Computer generated spoof/spam , the best thing to do without blocking real or important calls is to let them go to voicemail , if its an important or real call they will leave a message , if they dont you can block that number although they generally wont use the same number as theyre randomly generated by a computer . Happens on any network not just PM . I even get them on secured encrypted calling/messaging apps .

@CountyDownIeUk wrote:

@Kicker 

Keep your contacts list up to date and turn DND on to only accept calls from your contacts list. 

I do not think that will be valid response.

What about doctor's office who block their number? Banks, government, etc.?

Meow
Mayor / Maire

Most likely spoofed numbers. Try to resist answering unknown calls as that is easiest way to get on spammers' list...

@Kicker 

Keep your contacts list up to date and turn DND on to only accept calls from your contacts list. 

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Kicker 

Spammers are spoofing the number. I block and delete the number.

I had a call last month on my cell from a spoofer so I called the call display number with a landline while ringing on my cell…it rang.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

My advice, @Kicker, is to NEVER answer any calls from numbers/people you either don't recognize or are not on your contact list.  It can be difficult to ignore a call, but you will get used to it.  

If the person calling you needs you that badly, they will leave a voice message; if they don't bother leaving one, you likely didn't need to hear from them in the first place.

IF YOU DO ANSWER, and the caller is a spammer, it's likely your number will get logged as one which will get answered, so anticipate spam calling to increase (at least in the short term).

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Kicker   Just ignore them.  Let them go to your voicemail and delete the message after.

Yes, spam calls like this happens to many of us everyday.  It is really not PM's fault.

Anyway is to set to only answer from people on your contact list on the device.    But it is good and bad.  Good that is many call will be filtered out (they will still go to voicemail).  But bad is that some other important calls  (like doctor office) might choose to call from private callers, or from a number not on your list and you will miss those calls

pkaraa
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Spam calls, if the number is not in your contacts, dont pickup. Let it go into voicemail. once a while, check and delete voicemails.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Kicker 

Sounds like they are spam calls spoofing numbers that happen to be out of service.

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

VIP_Tech
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Hi @Kicker 

ignore and delete and never call back maybe they are scam call..

Need Help? Let's chat.