cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone Locked message

elissamarie
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi. Several months ago I switched from PM to another carrier. Recently I replaced the phone I had been using with a new one, and gave my sister my old phone. She is a PM customer. Today when she put her sim into the phone, she got a message telling her the phone was locked. 
modes anyone know why, and how to go about unlocking it so she can use it?

10 REPLIES 10

@elissamarie 

reset the network settings and try to manually connect to PM

1. From the home screen navigate to Settings>General>Reset
2. Tap Reset Network Settings
If prompted enter your passcode
3. Tap Reset Network Settings
4. Restart your phone

@elissamarie wrote:

She said the message said phone not allowed 

That is a real mystery! I would definitely love to know how it is resolved and would appreciate if you post when it was resolved and what the issue was.

It is similar to: you have 2 identical car-keys and car would start with one but not with the other one.

If she takes her current (trouble making) PM SIM to another phone - does it work at all?

@elissamarie wrote:

Thanks. I’ll message now. 

My apologies:  I misread your original post. It's the carrier that the phone is locked to that needs to be contacted (if it does turned out to be locked). I initially thought that you were trying to use your old phone at the new carrier and didn't realize it's a phone that you gave to someone else to use a Pubic Mobiile.

elissamarie

She said the message said phone not allowed 

elissamarie

Thanks. I’ll message now. 

elissamarie

Yes she was a previous customer, and has/had no issues with her old phone. 
I’m not sure what the exact message was but it was to the effect of the phone was locked by provider 

@elissamarie wrote:

It’s an iPhone XR, and I used it previously with pm without issue. I also briefly used it with my new carrier before I got my new phone.

That would tell me phone is unlocked particularly since you did use it with PM before.

What exact message does she get? Can she try SIM in another phone?

You mentioned she is a PM customer; did her PM SIM worked properly in previous phone?

elissamarie

It’s an iPhone XR, and I used it previously with pm without issue. I also briefly used it with my new carrier before I got my new phone.

@elissamarie wrote:

Hi. Several months ago I switched from PM to another carrier. Recently I replaced the phone I had been using with a new one, and gave my sister my old phone. She is a PM customer. Today when she put her sim into the phone, she got a message telling her the phone was locked. 
modes anyone know why, and how to go about unlocking it so she can use it?

Public Mobile will unlock Telus and Koodo locked devices.  Please ask a Public Mobile customer support agent for help by using the chatbot.  https://widget.telus.tiia.ai/publicmobile/publicmobile.html. If the chatbot doesn't work because you're no longer a customer, please send a private message to CS_Agent through https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437.

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

How old is your phone? Since 2017 all phones sold in Canada have to be unlocked.

Can she try PM's SIM in another phone?

How log was she PMs customer?

Need Help? Let's chat.