cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phasing into 5g

Marchibald
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Does anyone know what is going to happen when we phase into 5G given public mobile only offers 3G? Do I need to start looking for a 5G provider?

12 REPLIES 12

Marchibald

I wasn't saying I wanted 5G I was saying 3G is being phased out by many companies in favour of 5G

Marchibald

I'm grandfathered, been with them 4 years and have discount reflecting that. 

@Psygineer 

🤣

don't give them ideas... 

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Marchibald 

5G is only offer for top tier carriers and you will be paying top dollars for the plan.

5G only works outdoors and doesn’t go through walls…hence why people on the commercials are outdoors.

Test on YouTube have test 4G vs 5G and 4G speed test was faster.

Yeah it will be interesting to see how this rolls out 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Marchibald no worry,  4G will be around for long time.   3G will be gone eventually and PM will like adopt VoLTE for voice and we will be fine

Advantage with 5G is just data speed.  If you want the saving and no need the highest speed, stay with PM.  We would be good for many more years

Psygineer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@dust2dust wrote:

5G is all about data. It's hype otherwise. The low-tier providers use 3G for talk. This will be phased out late 2025. The higher tiers can use volte or 4G for talk. That will become the standard talk method. No one here knows what Public intends to do come the end of 2025 or before.

Odds are they will use it as the way to get you to switch to points and clean up any grandfathered plans that they do not wish to continue to honour. 

Introducing 4G talk with Public Mobile! Just switch(1) from your old 3G plan to any 4G plan to continue to enjoy your service. As of January 1, 2026(2) we will no longer be offering 3G service so switch now and enjoy the benefits of 4G!

1) All 4G plans require opting in to the Public Mobile Points Reward System.

2) Old 3G accounts will be grandfathered with existing reward program, you just won't have any service.

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

Since 5G is mainly for data I would not worry at all. Unless you are heavy mobile data user and really depend on high speed. So far I never had any issue with 3G data speed.

4G LTE will be with us for a while. I wouldn't worry about 5G.

Marchibald

I don't need 5G but if it's the only thing working we will all have to go to it

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

5G is all about data. It's hype otherwise. The low-tier providers use 3G for talk. This will be phased out late 2025. The higher tiers can use volte or 4G for talk. That will become the standard talk method. No one here knows what Public intends to do come the end of 2025 or before.

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@Marchibald well it's not going to happen here for sure if you want 5G you are going to have to pay twice as much 😀

Need Help? Let's chat.