cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Payment Amount Glitch?

len9
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi all,

PM newbie here. I added some money to my account earlier today ($30), but it seems to have done something to the payment that I owe for the next cycle. Should it not still be $28, as I am still registered for autopay?

Before

• Available Funds: $12.00
  • Payment Due Before: Oct 9, 2020
  • Payment for Next Cycle: $28.00
  • Amount Owing: $18.00

After

• Available Funds: $42.00
  • Payment Due Before: Oct 9, 2020
  • Payment for Next Cycle: $30.00
  • Amount Owing: $0.00

Any help/clarity would be appreciated.

15 REPLIES 15

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@mm80 

Public Mobile suspends the account when there's insufficient funds to pay for the plan at time of renewal.

I don't think it matters how it's paid as long as it gets paid. Plans are all prepaid, so you buy 30-days (or 90-days) of service in advance ... or you don't.

mm80
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Anonymous wrote:

@Korth 

I'm not disputing any pre-auth holding amount. Dunno. Just the rewards pay-out. I had observed this on a few occasions. Maybe others have seen the pending pre-auth in their payment card transactions.

Maybe on an autopay failure they roll it back. Yet another thing to test out on a testing account 🙂

Pending charges are approved. Declined charges don't show. Public Mobile would suspend the account when nothing's wrong with the card?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Korth 

I'm not disputing any pre-auth holding amount. Dunno. Just the rewards pay-out. I had observed this on a few occasions. Maybe others have seen the pending pre-auth in their payment card transactions.

Maybe on an autopay failure they roll it back. Yet another thing to test out on a testing account 🙂

@Anonymous 

I have observed the same.

I've also observed what I described above.

I've seen somebody (who's quite awful with money) get her AutoPay declined when she had just $43 available credit limit, a $40 plan, and $6 Rewards - she'd expected to be charged $38.80 ($40 plus tax, minus Rewards) but was declined on a charge of $44.80 ($40 plus tax, no Rewards). She then had to use payment vouchers to unsuspend her service. I remember the numbers because she still complains about no $2 AutoPay reward for that billing cycle years ago, lol.

Maybe it varies by province (timezone?) or by financial institution?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Korth 

I disagree with this chronology. I have observed that at midnight ET, all the rewards convert into "Current balance" ie. Available Funds. Then they reset except community which clears to 0. I don't think autopay actually transacts until early in the morning.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

AutoPay Reward is applied after successful AutoPay renewal. Easy to think of as $2 discount but it's really just credit applied to your balance after AutoPay already charged full price of the plan (plus taxes). In practice this means you just don't get the two bucks on your first cycle unless it was explicitly included in some kind of promo package.

And it might be problematic for customers who have tight credit card limits. AutoPay does a pre-auth check on the full plan price (plus taxes), Rewards are applied afterwards. It all adds up the same except for situations where insufficient credit before Rewards are applied will decline the AutoPay and fully cancel the transaction (no payment is taken so service is suspended).

len9

Yeah I figure I'll know more next month. Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@len9 wrote:

Ah perfect. Thanks to everyone that posted. Yes, I did have a $10 referral and the $2 autopay. Just wondered if the autopay would get baked in at the start of the cycle.

It still doesn't answer the peculiar $28 you saw at first that brought you here but hopefully it'll all come out in the wash after your renewal.

As mentioned earlier, you would see the rewards that you can anticipate receiving at renewal under the rewards area on your overview page.

len9

Ah perfect. Thanks to everyone that posted. Yes, I did have a $10 referral and the $2 autopay. Just wondered if the autopay would get baked in at the start of the cycle.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@len9 wrote:

Thanks everyone. Currently on the $30/month plan, and I am in BC. Those two lines were taken minutes apart. 

I suppose my question is whether the autopay reward will kick in at some point? 

This is where your payment history and overview page are useful.

If you had set up autopay at activation then you would have got a $2 credit. If you had used a referral then you would have got a $10 credit. And lo...you had a $12 balance.

Then at your next renewal, the autopay reward will convert into Available Funds and go towards you plan cost.

So you have $42 now. Your plan is $30. Assuming just the autopay reward, the morning after your renewal you will have a balance of $14.

len9

Thanks everyone. Currently on the $30/month plan, and I am in BC. Those two lines were taken minutes apart. 

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@len9 no "0" is the correct amount. its saying "0" because you have enough available funds in your account to cover the plan. when you receive a text at the end of the month, that your plan has renewed, manually top up again like you just did. this will bypass the auto-pay fail glitch

amount due-01~2.jpeg

for the initial activation your auto-pay shows as a $2 credit. after that it wont be given as a credit, Instead it just gets applied on your renewal date. you can your deductions under "my rewards" in the overview page

Anonymous
Not applicable

@geopublic wrote:

@len9  Did you change plans? Before it looks like you are on the $40 plan and after it appears that you scheduled a plan change to the $30 plan.

Yeah I wondered the same thing but 18 + 12 = 30. ???

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@len9  Did you change plans? Before it looks like you are on the $40 plan and after it appears that you scheduled a plan change to the $30 plan.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@len9 

When did you grab the first set of numbers and when did you grab the second set?

Maybe post a screen snip of your payment history and your overview page. Blank out personal info of course.

The first set looks odd. That payment for next cycle is what's odd. The rest is fine if you're on the $30 plan.

The second looks fine if you're on the $30 plan.

Were you on a promo? Are you in Quebec?

Need Help? Let's chat.