cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Password reset problems

Anonymous
Not applicable

So username @stonechucker hasn't been able to use this function. iirc he's using gmail.

With a browser we want to make sure that full functionality of the browser are on like javascript, cookies, nothing being blocked etc. A wide open browser.

Would anybody else like to add their experiences here?

I'm using yahoo.ca here and it works. W10, open Edge. I'm not trying it right now but I have a more clamped down FF. But my motivation for this is open browsers.

Edit: I've edited this with new information.

9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

@stonechucker wrote:

At the moment, I'm on Chrome on a Windows 7 PC.  

At home I use Chrome or Safari on both iOS and macOS - both fully updated.

My Android phone is Chrome browser, latest available OS for my device (8.0.1)

And apparently none of them work for you.

So it's probably not a browser issue either.

I did a search for this and I did find one mention of something to do with 15 characters. But then someone piped up that they had 22 characters. And I see you used to have 28 characters!

Even with your 27 characters, that must be quite the undertaking just logging into things.

Oh look. Duh. I counted mine and I'm at 24. Works fine. Narrowing the gap. We need results from 25 and 26 to prove this idea out.

At the moment, I'm on Chrome on a Windows 7 PC.  

At home I use Chrome or Safari on both iOS and macOS - both fully updated.

My Android phone is Chrome browser, latest available OS for my device (8.0.1)

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Anonymous wrote:

@popping wrote:

I am useing gmail on PM.  One of my account has 23 characters long email address.  I have no problem using the password reset function on the login screen.  

Thanks for the reply. So for this line of thought, we're somewhere between 23 and 27 characters. Although I'm not sure what @stonechucker is meaning with his mention of two gaps.

And indeed it's not an email domain issue.

Edit: And @popping: what browser and OS are you using?

I updated my post.  I was using Firefox on WIndows 10 to test the password reset function.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@stonechucker wrote:

My full legal name for written documents etc... 11 + 9 + 7 characters, but 2 spaces.  For whatever reason, folks think names are less than 10 characters in the English language, my first name is 11 characters alone.

My email address (no gaps) is actually 27 characters long.  The limit for the field is probably set at 25.

With how close we are already that would be my guess too.

Need more data.

My full legal name for written documents etc... 11 + 9 + 7 characters, but 2 spaces.  For whatever reason, folks think names are less than 10 characters in the English language, my first name is 11 characters alone.

My email address (no gaps) is actually 27 characters long.  The limit for the field is probably set at 25.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@popping wrote:

I am useing gmail on PM.  One of my account has 23 characters long email address.  I have no problem using the password reset function on the login screen.  

Thanks for the reply. So for this line of thought, we're somewhere between 23 and 27 characters. Although I'm not sure what @stonechucker is meaning with his mention of two gaps.

And indeed it's not an email domain issue.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Update: I was using Firefox browser on Windows 10.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@stonechucker: Right. Thank you. I guess I'm saying for the request part. Not the receiving part.

Which brings up another possibility. Maybe the field size for the email address is being exceeded and it just ignores it.

Maybe others could try really long email addresses too. Unfortunately, one can't test this because one can't change the originally supplied address. 😞

Does anyone else have a long email address like stonechuckers' 27 characters?

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

@Anonymous, this isn't a 'Gmail' issue, however, yes, Gmail hosts my email domain, and I only use the Gmail interface to read it, whether in a web browser on a desktop computer or in the Gmail app on my mobile devices.

The Public Mobile techs have confirmed that my email address is not being sent the reset email.  It's not in the outbox or sent 'folder' of the system.  It's like it's not getting authorized to follow along with the entire process.

Heck, it's probably an issue with the length of the email address.  If you know my full legal name, I have an issue filling out forms as the 1 letter per box for entry is never long enough for 27 characters to be entered, plus two gaps to separate the names.

Need Help? Let's chat.