cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overcharged?

snirjash
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am being charged hst 13% for Ontario. Although I moved to Alberta 8 months ago and changed the region and my address as well. 

I just noticed this since last month after the new site. I think I was charged proper gst (5%) for Alberta before this. How do I fix this? 

I am on 35$ plan. With reward and all it comes to 32$. So I should be charged 33.6$ in total. Instead the portal shows 35.16$ (it is considering Ontario HST 13%). 

10 REPLIES 10

@darlicious 

I buy my Payment Vouchers from Shoppers Drug Mart, they have something similar but it's not as good as the London Drugs thing you're describing. I'll check out LD again, they have other stuff (tech stuff!) I sometimes buy when the computer stores are too far away, I purchase such things rarely but points is points it all adds up.

I used to buy from Canadian Tire - they kept giving back Canadian Tire Money which could (eventually) be used for Payment Vouchers. But they changed their rules a few years back - prepaid vouchers are treated as "gift cards" and no longer qualify.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@snirjash 

If you prefer to keep your Ontario phone # then top up with vouchers and you will only pay gst. If you have a local london drugs you can also save on the equivalent of the gst by joining the LD Extras loyalty program. This us the only loyalty program that allows members to both earn and redeem mobile phone payments. ( As long as LD can still sell pm vouchers?)

LD Extras works on store "visits". Spend a minimum of $10 (pm voucher)=1 visit/per day. Every 10 visits=$5 coupon. This can be redeemed towards another $10 pm voucher.  You also recieve $5 coupon on your birthday!

@computergeek541 

but i put it + phone number area code. is i mean change phone number are code.

@Korth wrote:

@computergeek541 

You're probably right. I'll test this the next time I renew my credit card, lol, if it makes no difference then it makes no difference. Someone told me this trick, but perhaps it only works on postpaid or different merchants have different policies?

I don't know of any wireless carrier that determines the amount of taxes charged based on the address on file.  When it comes to the address on file making no difference at Public Mobile, this was established long ago.  The situation that the OP is in also demonstrates this.

@computergeek541 

You're probably right. I'll test this the next time I renew my credit card, lol, if it makes no difference then it makes no difference. Someone told me this trick, but perhaps it only works on postpaid or different merchants have different policies?

@Timer wrote:

@snirjash 

tried use browser from computer,and clear cache and cookies and use one page inPrivate mode,

To Login Page 

go to profile and change address. + phone number area code.

Changing the address won't change the sales taxation rate. 

@Korth wrote:

You'll pay tax whenever AutoPay charges your credit card, at whatever the local rate is for the address on file for the card.

Change in address should be submitted to both the credit institution and the merchant.

The above isn't correct. The address on file makes zero difference.  Only the phone number matters.

Timer
Mayor / Maire

@snirjash 

tried use browser from computer,and clear cache and cookies and use one page inPrivate mode,

To Login Page 

go to profile and change address. + phone number area code.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

Taxes are always charged at point of purchase. Before funds are deposited into Self-Serve account balance. Money already deposited into Self-Serve is not taxed again.

You'll pay tax when you buy Payment Vouchers, at whatever the local rate is for the physical (or virtual) retail location.

You'll pay tax whenever AutoPay charges your credit card. At whatever the local rate is for the address on file for the card.

Change in address should be submitted to both the credit institution and the merchant.

Customers with Native Status can avoid paying taxes when buying Payment Vouchers from retailers on Native Lands.

Your "home province" is the one which your phone number (area code) block is assigned to. An Ontario number pays Ontario taxes.

You can change your number in Self-Serve at no cost.

Changing your "Region" on Public Mobile's homepage does nothing useful. It doesn't affect your costs, show local offerings, not show un-local offerings, adjust the timezone, or even remember the setting itself for more than a few days.

@snirjash wrote:

I am being charged hst 13% for Ontario. Although I moved to Alberta 8 months ago and changed the region and my address as well. 

I just noticed this since last month after the new site. I think I was charged proper gst (5%) for Alberta before this. How do I fix this? 

I am on 35$ plan. With reward and all it comes to 32$. So I should be charged 33.6$ in total. Instead the portal shows 35.16$ (it is considering Ontario HST 13%). 

The address on file isn't related to your tax rate.  As long as you continue to keep your number from Ontario, you will continue to be charged 13% HST for all payments made online. If you buy vouchers at a store, you'll pay the lower tax rate.  if you wish to have the sales tax rate changed for any payments you make through your Self Serve account, you'll need to change your phone number.

Need Help? Let's chat.