cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overcharged on my account and no data usage was applied

CharY
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I been paying for add-ons and used 25$ I was only able to use a bit of it then I was already receiving texts that I used 100% of my data so Public mobile has been charging me and taking my money but hasn't given me my full services. 

6 REPLIES 6

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@jla 

The glitch I'm referring to uses the data up in an hour....and it's a backend issue with pm so it doesn't sound like the same thing. Do you have an iPhone or Android? There are some known data usage issues with iPhone depending on the version of iOS and/or model.

Android phones give you a little more tools to manage your data and/or diagnose the usage issue. Have you looked at the data usage of each app? Any app with video content or HD images can be high usage culprit. You can usually access the settings in the app to turn off video when not on wifi, turn off background video content and adjust the resolution of video playback without affecting quality.

Searching your photos that are backed up can use a lot of data because your not just accessing one photo your accessing every photo before the one you are looking for?!! The PC Optimum app caught me off guard when I didn't realize the little recipe videos they added were consuming so much data when I would accessing the app in store. Once I turned off the video in the settings my usage settled back down to normal.

Use your data usage warning and limiter not only as data management tools but diagnostic tools. Lower your warning to 50mb (or even lower) so you are alerted to your usage. Your phone will also start telling you certain apps are using more data than usual. Set your limiter to 100mb so you know how much data you are using when and which apps in particular. This should help you figure out where the data usage issue lies....you could have a rogue app using data that you are unaware of?

jla
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

This is exactly what's been happening to me for the last few months. What's the glitch you're talking about? I'd like more info on how to fix it. I've used all your suggestions and the issue still hasn't resolved itself. 

The last time I purchased an Add On it said I went through almost an entire GB in only three days. My phone doesn't show that much data usage at all and I barely use any data when I'm not on wifi.

JL9
Mayor / Maire

There are no overages or extra charges with PM as a prepaid service. However, if there are issues with the data you can reach out to a CSA to have them investigate.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@CharY 

It's entirely possible that you are the victim of a data glitch as a few customers have reported purchasing add ons and that data disappears alarmingly quick but we need a little more info from you. It's easiest to show us your transaction history with any personal info cropped out or removed from view.

Here are some helpful tips on managing your data usage....

Spoiler

Here is some more tips on data usage that can help you conserve data usage and/or find where high data usage is coming from.....

1. Turn your data saver on.*
  2. Set your data tracker to the correct calendar dates of your 30 day cycle.
  3. Set your data warning. ( I set mine to 25% of plan data**.)
  4. Set your data limiter. (I set mine to 50%.**)
  5. Turn off all background data in your app usage settings.***
  6. Set video content to play on wifi only ( or off altogether) in each individual app's settings.
  7. Turn off wifi assist for iPhone or the Android equivalent.
  8. For low data plans turn off mobile data and turn on when needed or to download MMS.
  9. Use free wifi when available.
  10. Double check that your phone is connected to wifi. Your phone can sometimes not automatically reconnect to wifi after rebooting, resetting or leaving/entering a wifi area.

*Android and iPhone's data saver tools work differently it is prudent to check settings in each phone's apps for such things as your photo app for device syncing, backing up etc.... Note: viewing or searching for backed up/stored photos can use considerable mobile data.

**Public Mobile sends out a text from 611 giving a warning at 75% and 95% of total data usage. If you have data add ons these warnings include both plan data and add on data.

**So if you just have 1gb of plan data you will get a warning at 756mb/1024mb and 973mb/1024mb. However if you have 1gb of plan data and a 5gb data add on (1024mb+5120mb=6144mb) these warnings will recieved at 4608mb/6144mb and 5837mb/6144mb respectively.

**This is why setting your data warning and limiter is important so that an errant app's sudden usage can be noticed and/or stopped by your phone's data usage tools rather than relying on pm's limited warnings system.

***Background data can use up to 38% of your data that is pure wastage.

Get in the habit of taking screenshots of your overview page and payment history before and after renewal for record keeping and checking that your data and/or limited minute/text counter resets.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

The only funds taken at renewal are for your regular plan renewal...never add-ons.

Log in to your account / My Data and Add-ons to see how much usable data you still have.

Make sure to disable data to apps that you don't use on a regular basis. Turn off Wifi Assist.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Turn off your cell data when not in use. Check what all apps are using cell data that you don't need them to. Check that apps and OS updates aren't able to download while on cell data.

Adding - check that you don't have wifi assist type of options set on

Could you provide an image of your payment history.

Need Help? Let's chat.