cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Only in UK you say? Pity!

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

We had too much intense discussion in this forum in recent days.  Time for a bit of relief.  This is a sidewalk sign in Coventry UK.  Now, why were we going nuts over a $60 for 10 gig plan?  There is zero reaction to this deal. 

MVIMG_20180126_132810-864x1536.jpg

22 REPLIES 22

Europe ("and" UK) has always been ahead of North America in terms of civilization, lol.

North America arguably may (or may not) have superior achievements in lofty impressive "high" technology but Europe has superior deployments in applied working "practical" technology.

They have a wireless infrastructure which is probably a decade more advanced than ours.

They are also confronted by wireless technological, financial, regulatory, political, environmental and even medical challenges which are a decade more advanced than ours.

The good news is that we can reasonably expect the Big Three (or Four) will offer us 100GB wireless data plans - at a premium! - sometime before 2028, lol.

denkom
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Luddite Darn! But the US roaming option is not bad. 13gb is still a decent amount of data. Wish they didn't exclude Canadian roaming...what happened to us being part of the Commonwealth!? Smiley LOL

@denkomwrote:

Does it include Canadian roaming? Smiley Tongue If so, count me in!

Nope, but has USA. Only allowed to use 13 GB (Robot LOL) of the allowance, and no tethering. You get completely cut off if most usage is roaming. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

denkom

Does it include Canadian roaming? Smiley Tongue If so, count me in!

We're not going to see that type of pricing any time soon, not when studies revealed this:

https://mobilesyrup.com/2016/08/11/crtc-releases-international-telecom-price-study-confirms-canada-p...

zhadj030
Mayor / Maire

I cannot really say that I am surprised. 😞 .

And there is the problem that Canadians are willing to take all of those charges and the 140/month charges with not even bother to search for better deals beforehand. 

Wonder_why
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@PhoneSeekerwrote:

@Wonder_whywrote:

show to Dave 

Are you ready to prepay for 12 months instead of 90 days? Smiley LOL

@PhoneSeeker if at that price I am ready to sign 24 months LOL 

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Not sure if it's the same but I remember an ideaf/quote from  I think  a movie anout the pharmasudical industry the first pill costs millions of dollars while the second only costs pennies.

I'm sure the infrastructure costs are quite high to setup, but once going it's cheep. But you have to average the price over all.  That being said yes we pay too much but we do live in Canada. If we moved to Mexico 1gb north american calling free what's app Facebook for 7$ a month. But we would have to live in Mexico.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

This is actually not so big of a deal.  I thought I saw somewhere online where Telus was selling wireless home internet in rural BC with 500 gig usage.  We have to stop drinking carrier cool aid and be deluded into thinking that just because each gig is sold at 10s dollars does not mean it cost anywhere near that to deliver it. 

@kav2001c Cheaper online £27: http://www.three.co.uk/Store/SIM/Plans_for_phones

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Civic_E

100 GB on mobile device? Soon home internet providers have to start competing with mobile operators...

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

@will13am funny that plan is not listed on their website (I find most euro plans always have some hidden catches)

Oh and don't forget they also violate net neutrality which we Canadians (for some reason) "want" so much

(And most of their penalties to cancel early would cause Telus to blush! Required contracts even when bringing own hardware just sounds wrong lol)

PhoneSeeker

@Wonder_whywrote:

show to Dave 

Are you ready to prepay for 12 months instead of 90 days? Smiley LOL

Wonder_why
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@will13amwrote:

We had too much intense discussion in this forum in recent days.  Time for a bit of relief.  This is a sidewalk sign in Coventry UK.  Now, why were we going nuts over a $60 for 10 gig plan?  There is zero reaction to this deal. 

MVIMG_20180126_132810-864x1536.jpg

@will13am show to Dave 

Mana
Mayor / Maire

If this 100GB is anything like freedom data, then you can freedom yourself from mobile data. 

@PhoneSeekerwrote:

@will13amwrote:
  If I had that, I could try a data diet at home and do without home internet. Well maybe not. 

I wonder how fast the data speeds are though (especially for home use)?

In Canada many people have LTE that outperforms their home internet.  There are lots of people with Bhell DSL that tops out at 50 mbits, modern day dial up in my books.

PhoneSeeker

@will13amwrote:
  If I had that, I could try a data diet at home and do without home internet. Well maybe not. 

I wonder how fast the data speeds are though (especially for home use)?

MoraMan
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@will13amwrote:

@MoraManwrote:

I wouldn't know what to do with all that data! Wonder what the post 12 months deal is...

Just walk across the street to the competition and sign up the same deal or negotiate a repeat for the next 12 months.  If I had that, I could try a data diet at home and do without home internet. Well maybe not. 

Good point. I could likely ditch my home internet.

@MoraManwrote:

I wouldn't know what to do with all that data! Wonder what the post 12 months deal is...

Just walk across the street to the competition and sign up the same deal or negotiate a repeat for the next 12 months.  If I had that, I could try a data diet at home and do without home internet. Well maybe not. 

koimr1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Oh man, that is crazy.

I would imagine that deal is eligible for the EU roaming stuff too. Sheesh.

MoraMan
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

PhoneSeeker

Maybe in an alternate universe! Smiley LOL

Need Help? Let's chat.