cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Only data plan is able to receive calls?

chechops1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, 

I got a Public Mobile Plan, 1gb only data plan.

Data is running well, but I can not receive any calls from other phones.

is it due to my plan or maybe I have technical problems

Thanks.

10 REPLIES 10

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@chechops1 wrote:

I now that but it cannot receive calls?

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm curious to know where it was you got an impression that a data-only plan would let you only receive calls (other than the data)?

@Anonymous a lot of people are used to plans that have pay-per-use ability for services not included in their base plan, and assume PM works the same.

@chechops1 FYI, Public Mobile works differently than what you may have been used to in the past, and has NO pay-per-use or pay-as-you-go features--period.  When you get a data-only plan, it is very literally only providing you with data.  All features are a-la-carte plan features, and you either pay for it and get it, or you don't pay for it and don't get it at all.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@slash407 wrote:

thats a app problem, ur data just gives u data and the calls come through the app, leave ur data on and u wont have problems but it'll consume alot of ur data leaving it on all the time

On a data-only plan, there is no phone calling service provided by Public Mobile.  There is no way to receive phone calls using that phone number unless the customer takes a plan that includes "talk".   While there are some instant messaging apps (requires both users to have that same app installed) or VOIP programs (with a different phone number) that allow you to make and even receive calls, that has nothing to do with Public Mobile nor the phone number that was provided by them. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@chechops1 wrote:

Thanks,

I'm curious to know where it was you got an impression that a data-only plan would let you only receive calls (other than the data)?

Further to changing plans to the $25 plan, you can hold this plan in reserve while it's still available. Then when your renewal comes around it will honour it. Unless you just have to have voice. Then do an immediate plan change forfeiting what you've already paid. But do *that* before the 22nd.

@chechops1 wrote:

Thanks.

if I would get a plan that includes calls I would be able to do that immediately?

Yes, but you will lose the amount you paid for your current plan. Another option is to select the option for the plan change to occur on your renewal date.

You need to decide what works best for you.

@chechops1 A good replacement plan for you would be the $25.00 Unlimited Canada Wide Talk and Text with 500MB + Bonus 500MB with AutoPay. So you get the same amount of data plus calling and texting for $5.00 less but you to do it before April 22nd because it will not be available after that date.

chechops1

Thanks.

if I would get a plan that includes calls I would be able to do that immediately?

sunflowershine
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@chechops1 wrote:

Thanks,

@chechops1 Because you have no phone for your SIM. You can download a free calling and texting app such as TextNow or Fongo that needed to be using wifi or data. They are free for landline or cell within North America.

@chechops1 wrote:

Thanks,

You would need to setup Fongo or equivalent app.

chechops1

Thanks,

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@chechops1 wrote:

Hi, 

Thanks.

If you need to make/receive calls you need to change plans.

Lieux
Oracle
Oracle

@chechops1 wrote:

Hi, 

Thanks.

A data plan will not allowed you to make calls ... only data...

Need Help? Let's chat.