cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old provider says port out not complete

YVR
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Question about porting process that will close old account.  

Ported a number to Pubic Mobile almost two weeks ago.  Everything worked almost right away with Public.  

The old account shows suspended and not closed or cancelled.  Old provider says that public has not completed the port in process.  Still getting charged for services at both cell providers and can use only public.  

Has anyone heard of this ? 

7 REPLIES 7

YVR

@computergeek541 wrote:

@YVR wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@YVR , are you able to receive phone calls on the ported number?  Usually that's a proxy for completed port.  It might not hurt to follow up with the moderator team to confirm port status. 

Hi, everything has been working almost right away on Public Mobile after activation/porting.  All calls, text features were and have been fully functional.  I even got a text from Public Mobile saying the port has been done.  I believe that there may be some internal issue.   The moderators have been contacted to ensure that the port in process has been done completely.

Usually, you do not want to contact the old provider to cancel the old service. The problem with doing so would be that a cancelled phone number cannot be transferred.

The first thing to check would be incoming text messages and incoming phone calls from other carriers. Specifically, check if text and calls from customers of the old carrier arrive on your Public Mobile service. If they do, the  number has been fully transferred.

Only after that has all been verified would you contact the old carrier to cancel.  You would also need to insist to the old carrier to refund any plan fees for the time of overlapped services.  I had an "old carrier" make this same mistake before.

You do have to be extremely careful that Public Mobile has full possession of your phone number before taking such action.  Contacting the old provider, especually to manually cancel the account is almost always bad advice, but with a few rare exceptions.

Update:

@computergeek541 

The closing of the account was set from the other provider to be done manually because it was a very old corporate individual post paid plan.  Certain legacy corporate plans required the business team to complete the closing of the account.  The port in was completed by public sucessfully by public over 2 weeks ago.  Calling customer service at the old provider and having them complete the closure of the account manually fixed the billing issue.  Customer service did refverse the additional monthly charge and part month as per CRTC rules on porting services.  

@YVR wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@YVR , are you able to receive phone calls on the ported number?  Usually that's a proxy for completed port.  It might not hurt to follow up with the moderator team to confirm port status. 

Hi, everything has been working almost right away on Public Mobile after activation/porting.  All calls, text features were and have been fully functional.  I even got a text from Public Mobile saying the port has been done.  I believe that there may be some internal issue.   The moderators have been contacted to ensure that the port in process has been done completely.

Usually, you do not want to contact the old provider to cancel the old service. The problem with doing so would be that a cancelled phone number cannot be transferred.

The first thing to check would be incoming text messages and incoming phone calls from other carriers. Specifically, check if text and calls from customers of the old carrier arrive on your Public Mobile service. If they do, the  number has been fully transferred.

Only after that has all been verified would you contact the old carrier to cancel.  You would also need to insist to the old carrier to refund any plan fees for the time of overlapped services.  I had an "old carrier" make this same mistake before.

You do have to be extremely careful that Public Mobile has full possession of your phone number before taking such action.  Contacting the old provider, especually to manually cancel the account is almost always bad advice, but with a few rare exceptions.

YVR

@will13am wrote:

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

YVR

@Tony8 wrote:

Hmm, I would think that if your number works on Public Mobile, it is ported over.

It could be your old provider is in error, and should close your account, and stop charging you.

They say that if it's completed correctly the account would go from suspended to closed. A final bill would be issued instead of a regular one. Going to contact the moderators to see if it's something in the background

Tony8

Hmm, I would think that if your number works on Public Mobile, it is ported over.

It could be your old provider is in error, and should close your account, and stop charging you.

Need Help? Let's chat.