cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not receiving texts or calls

jolsen
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi all,

I've been using Public for over a year now.  For some reason I've stopped receiving texts and calls.  I've restarted my phone, checked my SIM status, ensured I'm not on airplane mode and still no luck.  I've had others text me and call me and I am unable to receive.  I can send texts that are received and call others.  My data works....

Any suggestions for a fix?

Thanks!

51 REPLIES 51

on2wheels
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Well Darlicious you were right, my rewards were not applied today.  Here goes another ticket, thanks for the heads up.

@on2wheels 

Yes and no.A perfectly good sim card can need reprovisioning and go on functioning for years with nary a problem. But an older sim card does have a greater chance of needing reprovisioning or deterioriating in performance. If you find you start having gitches like this reoccur where parts of your service stop working requiring a reboot or more troubleshootig to restore it then replacement of the sim card is order.

The best option would be to purchase a new unactivated sim card ( order from amazon $5 free shipping w/prime or CCS free shipping  by CP) and keep it as a spare. If your current sim card appears to work fine no action is needed but if it starts malfunctioning again in a short period of time or again in 6 montns  and then again in 3 months then you ,know its end is near. Swap out your sim card with the spare you now have sitting in a drawer. It never hurts to always have a spare sim card  on hand.........for yourself or an emergency referral.

on2wheels

Would a new sim card reduce the likelihood of this happening again? My sim is very old, showing many scratches on the contacts from different phones over the years.  I'm not opposed to buying a new one from PM if it means more reliability. Losing connection and not knowing about it is unacceptable in my books.

@Anonymous 

I'm not that clever this morning I'm on Olympic time....I got up to watch the swimming and diving!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious wrote:

@Anonymous 

Not from the way I read it .....if your sim card could connect directly with network before your provider and your account then how would you suspend your service in your account?

@darlicious : How else can the phone with the SIM in it possibly get to the provider? How does the phone with the SIM in it get denied in say Dubai? How else can roaming work?

on2wheels

** Note: Using lost/stolen even briefly with active service will cause your rewards to not be applied upon renewal. You must contact the moderators after renewal to have your rewards applied manually.

This is going to cause some grief come renewal time.  Sheesh, wish I had known before I hit that Suspend button. Thanks anyway.  We should all at least screenshot our account page to prove we have the rewards we have now, so come August it will be easy to reapply them if needed.

@Anonymous 

Not from the way I read it .....if your sim card could connect directly with network before your provider and your account then how would you suspend your service in your account?

@darlicious   yes.. look like there is provisioning issue for the last so many days (have been as long as 10??)

just that now, it seems affecting existing users, too.. not just newly activated accounts

(haha.. i hope it won't get to my own Sim card, too.. LoL)

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious wrote:

Essentially a sim card is the conduit that allows your phone to communicate with pm's system. Your phone>>sim card>>your self serve account>>pm's back end system>>the network (telus).

@darlicious : May I make what I think would be a different flow using your words...

Your phone>>sim card>>the network(telus)>>pm's back end system>>your self serve account

Or maybe I'm wrong. 🙂

@softech @on2wheels @jolsen @chronooxiix 

This is a provisioning issue with your sim card (not yours @softech )and could be related to the high incidence of sim cards not provisioning properly upon activation in the past 10 days. Each of you had your sim cards reprovision as you unknowingly went thru the reprovisioning trouble shooting checklist.

Essentially a sim card is the conduit that allows your phone to communicate with pm's system. Your phone>>sim card>>your self serve account>>pm's back end system>>the network (telus). To troubleshoot a provisioning issue you start with the basic step for any problem....

1. Reboot your phone.
  2. Remove your sim card for a minimum 10 minutes. Check for any dirt or debris in the sim card slot and on sim card and gently clean if necessary. Reseat sim card and reboot.
  3. Make a $1 payment to your account.
  4. Suspend your service via lost/stolen**. Log out/in. Resume your service. Log out. Reboot.
  5. Contact the moderators to reprovision your sim card and reset your account.

#1 because you should always start with rebooting your phone. #2 removing the sim card is like a reboot for a sim card giving it at least 10 minutes can allow the sim card to have a long enough of a break from communication to reset itself. #3 for the same reason you do it for payments it tricks the system into resetting #4 disconnects the sim card from your account and the system and is very effective at reprovisioning the sim card from the customer side but this is normally skipped in favour of #5 since if your sim card and an account reset by the moderators doesn't reprovision the sim then the only resolution is purchasing a new sim card.

** Note: Using lost/stolen even briefly with active service will cause your rewards to not be applied upon renewal. You must contact the moderators after renewal to have your rewards applied manually.

on2wheels

As soon as the sim went in my old phone all my missing messages popped up. So then back in my new phone it started working again. Not sure what fixed it, mods said they rebooted their system, but like what jolsen said it started working right after he took his sim out and back in.

@on2wheels  did mod helped you and did something on the system? or you just rebooted and work?

on2wheels

Glad to have it working again, luckily I wasn't on call yesterday.  Worst thing about this issue was not knowing it happened until much later after it started. 

@on2wheels  keep try reboot you phone while you wait.

@jolsen  it works after you switch from your wife phone.. i think cos when you switch the SIM from one, it is like a reboot..., they did something on the backend and likely require a reboot

jolsen

As soon as I switched the SIM from my phone into my wife's phone it downloaded all the messages that had been queued since the service stopped working...

I really don't know what was going on.

on2wheels

I didn't wait that long, it didnt fix it.  I've submitted a ticket, they claimed to have reset something in the background and waiting on their next response.  Somehow I doubt even trying a new phone would fix it.

edit:  I put my sim in my old phone and all my missing sms from today popped up. i sent a few and received some back.  put the sim back in the Pixel4a and sent one to myself and it bounced right back to me, and got some replies from others.  somehow it worked.

@jolsen   i would think it is more on the back end..  , but glad it works ...

jolsen

Hi all,

I talked to Mods and tried switching phones with my wife.  I then switched my SIM back to the original and it works now.

The Mods did a quick reset in the background, but I had to switch phones and the back again before it worked.  I can't really say for sure what fixed it...

I hope you are able to resolve yours as well!

chronooxiix

I had mine suspended for roughly 1 hour and 30 minutes. Let me know if it fixes for you as well

@on2wheels 

Yes, on My Account->Plan and Add Ons Tab, then there is  Lost Stolen phone, you can then click Suspend Service.

on2wheels

Curious, how long did you wait after you suspended it before you resumed again?

chronooxiix

it should be on the website under lost/stolen phone, and yeah it fixed before the mod got to the solution

on2wheels

Is the suspend/resume service function on the website or on your phone?

@chronooxiix  even before the Mod reply you ?  glad everything working for you again...

jolsen

I will post when the solution is given to me by mods.

chronooxiix

Ok so after resuming my service the problem seems to have fixed itself. So maybe try suspending and resuming your service? it might reset something and solve the problem

on2wheels

Would also like to know the solution, perhaps the mod can come back and post or reply here, I can't even create a ticket, the site errors on the last step of logging in.

jolsen

I'm in PEI.

@chronooxiix  kindly provide us with the update if mod resolves your issue.  Would like to know what happened.    thanks

chronooxiix

yeah im dealing with a mod right now to resolve the issue

Need Help? Let's chat.