cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not receiving calls in the US

acatabian
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi all,

Currently in the US and just setup my account and ported my old number. I am receiving text messages fine, however I cannot receive calls.

Do I need to have a US roaming package to receive calls as well?

11 REPLIES 11

acatabian

I am here for a while on a work visa. That’s why I chose the $10 plan to just maintain my number. 

@acatabian wrote:

@ShawnC13 Yes I activated the plan here to keep my 403 number alive. I am currently in the US working for a bit, so I activated the sim here for the mean time. 

@acatabian Depending on how long you are in the US maybe it would be feasible to switch to the $60 plan as suggested because it includes unlimited call and texting US/Canada and 2GB of data in the US and 8GB of data in Canada per 30 days.

@acatabian wrote:

Sorry for another reply, but do you know if you get notified when port is complete?

@acatabian Yes, once the port is completed Public Mobile send a text notifying you that the port was successful. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@Anonymous  I didn't know you were able to receive calls as well.  Good to know.

@acatabian  so you activated while you are in the US?

@ShawnC13 

I was last in the states this past January. I connected to AT&T, got the PM welcome to the US text inviting me to buy add-ons, didn't, got test texts and calls from Canada.

But it being unofficial I would say it could stop doing that anytime.

Next time, I'll tinker with data.

acatabian

@ShawnC13 Yes I activated the plan here to keep my 403 number alive. I am currently in the US working for a bit, so I activated the sim here for the mean time. 

@Anonymous  I didn't know you were able to receive calls as well.  Good to know.

@acatabian  so you activated while you are in the US?

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@acatabian wrote:

Hi all,

Currently in the US and just setup my account and ported my old number. I am receiving text messages fine, however I cannot receive calls.

Yes you do need a roaming add-on to receive calls while in the US unless you have the $60 Canada US plan.  I have heard you are able to receive texts but won't be able to send any without the roaming package

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Anonymous
Not applicable

@acatabian wrote:

It might be because the port is new... I'll give it some time. 

Could be. For usual ports activating in-network that seems to be the thing. iirc texts wouldn't come in though.

I've not heard of successful notifications. Nor have I ever ported a number...so there's that.

Curious to see the end result of this.

acatabian

Sorry for another reply, but do you know if you get notified when port is complete?

acatabian

It might be because the port is new... I'll give it some time. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@acatabian wrote:

Hi all,

I would think it would be technically required to do initial activation when able to connect to actual Telus/Bell towers.

I was able to receive calls without roaming. Maybe that has changed.

But I was already activated.

Need Help? Let's chat.