cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not able to text Android/Virgin mobile contact...

Sarah_E93
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just signed up with Public Mobile today and had service immediately after transferring my number from Rogers. However I can't text my boyfriend, who has an Android and is with Virgin...I can text other people with iPhones like mine who are also on PM (not using iMessage!)...any ideas appreciated! Tried restarting phone and resetting SIM, no luck.

11 REPLIES 11

Sarah_E93

Turned out to be an issue porting my number from Rogers. Contacted a moderator and they re-issued the request, all fixed now! Thanks everyone for the suggestions 🙂 

[Solution marked by Luddite]

Give it some time. By tomorrow morning it might be resolved. Sometimes the network providers need to update their routing when a customer ports a number to another provider.

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

Another recommendation on another thread was to remove him from your contacts and shut phone down for 10 secs and then try to send a msg to his number. Might be a waste of time. It's crazy... But it just might work! (Master of Disguise reference)

Sarah_E93

I will try shortly, updating my software to see if that makes a difference. Thanks for the suggestions!

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

@Sarah_E93 did you go thru Dunkman's options. It may be related to the setting he proposed up front.

Sarah_E93

I've checked with other Android/non-public mobile people and they're not getting my messages either

Sarah_E93

I just checked my blocked numbers and he wasn't in there...I doubt that he did but I will check!

Is it possible that you or he have blocked the others number in error?

Sarah_E93

Nope! He can receive texts from my mom who is on Public Mobile and has an iPhone...

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

Can he text you?

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Sarah_E93 

Try the following suggestions that I copied from a previous post.

Part 1:
imessage can sent to/from Apple ID or a phone number. To do what you described you should be using your phone number, not your Apple ID.

• Go to Settings> Messages> Send & Receive
  1. Your settings should be:
    • Can be reached by imessage at: Phone Number
    • Start new conversations from: Phone Number

Part 2:
Turn on Send as SMS

• Go to Settings> Messages

Explanation:
If you're sending/receiving imessages to/from your apple ID, and not a phone number, you can't send as SMS.
Also, the phone number used here is taken from  Settings>Phone>My Number. If you changed your phone number, sometimes this section doesn't populate your new number, and would then still send imessages from your old number. Same thing goes for FaceTime.

*Edit - it's an Apple ID issue, not a provider issue*

Turn cellular data and roaming ON. That will allow MMS messaging to non-iphones. There will be no data charges.

Turn Messages & Facetime OFF, and back ON in 5 minutes. This will force a reset ov Apple serviers to your new phone.

Correct setup for messaging: Settings >> Messages >> iMessage ON, Send as SMS ON, MMS ON >> Send & Receive should show your phone # and Apple ID email.

Need Help? Let's chat.