cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not a question...a word of caution

Travis111000
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I fell victim to the cheaper option...but the account transfer from my previous carrier to Public has not gone well.  If you are thinking of switching to Public...please reconsider.  I am sure the transfer works for some...but there is a much greater than 0% chance that it won't go well for everyone.  If you want to ensure your number stays the same, please consider staying with your current carrier.

20 REPLIES 20

DC71
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hope your situation gets resolved soon, it must be very frustrating

Travis111000

@DC71, glad you were successful in the port!  My situation is different, as Public wants to send a code to my number...and as they have taken control of my number, but can't complete the setup, I can't log into the app to click the Activate button.  I hope your suggestion helps others...but I would be remised if I didn't warn others to re-consider Public as an option.

DC71
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I had trouble porting my number (physical SIM card), but when I went back in and retraced my steps, it turned out I hadn't completed the last step  (clicking on the Activate button).  Once I did that the port was done almost immediately

Travis111000

Do people find it acceptable to be without cell service for three days after a very routine account transfer?  I have been part of account transfers previously with other carriers that have gone smoothly..but I am now being told that I may have to wait for up to three days for mine to complete...but with no guarantees that it will work.

Please exercise extreme caution prior to going to Public.  I'm sure the process works for many...but definitely not all.  Please consider how long you can accept to be without service altogether prior to moving to Public.

Travis111000

A quick update.  Things are indeed going worse.  As what seems to be a Hail Mary, they've asked me to reset my network settings...which will erase all Wifi passwords, and it didn't not fix the original issue.  

I can stress enough..proceed with your eyes wide open prior to switching to Public.

Travis111000

I do.  Thanks for taking the time to respond.  I do have a physical SIM...but my phone seems to report that "Public Mobile has turned off LTE calls".

Everyone, please reconsider transferring to Public.

Travis111000

To keep everyone updated.  As the help processes also seem to be immature, I'm not sure where I am..though I feel I'm farther along...though, I now have a message that says "Public mobile has turned off LTE calls on your account".

I can't stress enough...exercise extreme caution.

the issue was not a port problem but am eSIM setting up issue

there are in fact more problems with eSIM than porting 

so, you have physical sim now? you can call the porting team to confirm if the port is done, you have the number?

@Travis111000  Using the IMEI was probably the issue it’s best to ignore it and just use the old  providers account number instead . 

Travis111000

The process started out great.  I selected my plan, they took the appropriate amount of money.  When I started the process, I selected "transfer my number".  I entered my appropriate account an IMEI number, and then received a message saying "Unable to import eSIM".  I started up a help ticket, and they asked for all the information again, and sent a QR code.  I attempted to use the QR code to import the eSim...but the same error message came up.  I was instructed to go out and purchase a physical SIM.  I did that, and now I'm on hold with the porting team.

seagull

i agree with @Travis111000. i had such a terrible experience transferring as well. and they gaslight you saying it's users' problem. the transfer should be done within minutes but I've been dealing with it for more than 4 hours.  yet the team is still asking me to wait 2-3 hours without a solution.  

what exactly was the problem with port?

Travis111000

Again...absolutely...as I've said before, I'm sure the process works for most.  And to your point, I don't agree...it isn't necessarily a user problem with the Public staff...I'm sure they are working with a process that hasn't been properly QAed and matured.

As slusagm mentioned, the process likely works well for many...but not all.  Please beware.

most transfer worked well.  Many transfer issue was in fact a user problem 

so, you had problems with yours 

Travis111000

Again...a word of caution before moving over to Public.  The transfer, I'm sure, works well for most.  But not all.  There seems to be a greater than 0 chance you won't be able to keep your number if the process to transfer doesn't work.  On top of the chance of not keeping you number, please ensure you have a large portion of your day free to handle the manual process.

Please, re-consider moving to Public.

Travis111000

I have received the number.  Thanks Handy!.  I received a message saying that a transfer request has not been received for my phone number.

Again...I'm sure this works well for most...but not all.  Please use caution...and if your number is important to you, consider not transferring to Public.

Travis111000

Thanks.  As mentioned, I'm sure this works well for most...but definitely not all.  I'm just saying that people should manage their risks.  If it is important to keep your number, you are not gauranteed to do that if you transfer to Public.

@Travis111000 wrote:

My experience is exactly as you outlined...other than there was an error with the eSim (note:  I had an eSIm with my previous provider).  I have been instructed to by a physical sim for Public (which is a bit ridiculous in 2024).  My phone still has not been activated.

Again, I am sure this process works well for most...but if it is important to you to keep your number, I would advise against the transfer to Public.

I tend to disagree, but respect your opinion. I ported over to Public 6 years ago and had zero problems. And there are two options, SIM card or eSIM. BOTH have to be offered because some phones don't offer eSIM options. These two options are offered by all telco services. If you need a physical SIM card, here are two options to get it faster.

If you need a physical SIM, Amazon sells them. Click on AMAZON for the link.

Or locations near you that have a SIM. TELUS STORES

Travis111000

My experience is exactly as you outlined...other than there was an error with the eSim (note:  I had an eSIm with my previous provider).  I have been instructed to by a physical sim for Public (which is a bit ridiculous in 2024).  My phone still has not been activated.

Again, I am sure this process works well for most...but if it is important to you to keep your number, I would advise against the transfer to Public.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Travis111000  Both accounts need to be active for successful number port  / transfer . Leaving old providers sim in the phone and start the port request with new provider . You should get text on old providers SIM card to confirm the porting the number by replying YES . And that should be it for most . If you have any issues you can try the porting team or contact support directly . In most cases any hiccup can be fixed is one does experience a hiccup 

Need Help? Let's chat.