cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Smartphone; Sudden Text Spam; Credit Card Fraud

HRosalind
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello,

I don't have a smartphone. No internet access on phone. I woke up this morning to text after text with "Your Gopuff code" and "Download the Remind app" (50+), as well as a text about an Apple Store order. They just keep coming from different numbers...and when I went into my email (from my computer), I found about 2000 new emails, asking me to confirm subscriptions. I got a call from Apple, asking me to verify a pending purchase...and I didn't give them any information, but the agent told me that my credit card information must have been stolen (he gave me the last 4 digits of the card). I am not sure what to do. I am calling my bank (waiting now)...but I am messaging this forum because I would like to find out how I can get the texts to stop. I don't have a block function on my phone...and they are all coming from different numbers, so I don't think that blocking would be effective anyway. Please help!

Thank you.

Rosalind

9 REPLIES 9

HRosalind

So far, so good. Charges reversed. No more spam text after spam text. Cautiously optimistic. Thank you so much!

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@HRosalind  - oh man, so sorry this is happening. We all think we are safe, and it will never happen to us. But Not The Case.

I hope you were able to prevent any further damages from being done and shut down any activities that may have been in the process with any credit cards/ financial institutions etc.

Some information to have for reference if your phone is comprised in any way and helpful articles here:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/SIM-Swap-Fraud/m-p/650969

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/sim-swap-fraud

Good luck to you.

HI  @HRosalind   So everything is good now? or something was compromised?

HRosalind

Thanks everyone! I'm taking some steps to protect my safety. 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI@HRosalind   

It is inconvenience, but you can just ignore and delete those text.  As long as you don't reply those text or click links there, you are ok.

Check with your bank and see what they say (I know you are on hold now)

you might want to change your main email password to a much different and much complicated password just in case

Also, if you have some Anti-virus program, run the virus check and see if it finds anything

Anonymous
Not applicable

Your "signature". Your username can be anything and often people put what looks like real information there. Then you signed off with what looks like a real name that coincides with your username. Certainly it could all be fake but you might be getting an identity problem going on and if you're inclined to exposing real information in the wild then these identity problems may be the result. Somebody is using your number and email address.

How are all your financials looking? Anything amiss?

HRosalind

Thank you...just curious: which 'real information' did I use in my post? My name? Just checked...looks like my texts and calls are working.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would say that your ID has been compromised.

Log in to all your financials (Edit: and email inboxes) and change their passwords and check for invalid charges.

And don't use real information on the internet like what you've shown here.

Are your services working as normal? Calls in/out? Your own texts in/out?

0PX9O4
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@HRosalind 

I'm not aware of a way to block text messages, aside from blocking individual numbers on the phone. And like you've pointed out, that wouldn't be effective in this case anyway.

Unfortunately your best bet is likely to just ignore the scammers, and eventually they will have to stop wasting their own time.

Need Help? Let's chat.