cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Data on LG G5, switched from Telus

jchan
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi everyone,

I recently got my phone to work with Public Mobile. After some back and forth and some restarting. My phone number is now ported over and I can make/receive calls and texts. The one thing that is still missing is data. 

I see under self-serve that I do have a data plan. 

Here's some more info:

No APNs appear on the list by default. 

I've tried addding the APN suggested in the knowledge base for android phones. 

Restarted a few times.

Toggled airplane mode. 

So far nothing has worked. I did see some threads where users with the G4 had to factory reset their phones to get them working. I'm considering this but don't want to do it unless I've run out of all other options. 

Is there anything else worth trying?

thanks.

35 REPLIES 35

DonB
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I did a factory reset and now have data, so looks like my problem is solved.  Thanks to all for your help. 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@asid can you take a screen shot of the Overview page from self-serve (the page you land on when you log into your self-serve account), block out any personal details like your account number, phone number, and name, and post the screen shot below?  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

asid

I just did a factory reset of my lg g5 after switching to public mobile today from bell. Data is still not working.

Any help with this?

manak

FWIW

I transfered my number and I have the same issue. Tried on the suggested fixes without any success. I'll be doing a factory reset 😞

AK

Garry
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@srlawren

The problem only happened following the actual porting of the #..........Prior to that, the data and everything worked fine (with the new Koodo sim installed). 

If I had kept the new phone number associated with the new Koodo sim..... this would not be an issue, but I wanted to keep my old number...... just in case Public Mobile wanted to contact me with an irresistible offer.... Lol

Fwiw....This issue alone has kept me from jumping on any recent LG G6 deals, as this factory rebooting issue is a PITA!

srlawren

@Garry yep, it affects any change of carrier unfortunately; not just when moving to PM.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Garry
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Ported out my PM line to Koodo today. Had to perform a factory reset on my LG G5 as well.........Nothing else would enable the data to work.

Backed everything up as mentioned above and we're up and running again. Just have to personalize everything now.....ringtones, display settings etc but all contacts pictures etc are intact.

srlawren

@masterc handy to know for sure.  You should only need it if moving from one provider to another, though.  So firing up a new G5 that was never on another network shouldn't be an issue.  If it's already been on another you may need to do this though.  Or if you resell/gift your G2 the recipient may need to (though hopefully you'd do a full factory reset before it leaves your hands anyway).  

masterc
Good to know the reset trick. .. I'm just upgrading from my G2 to the G5
Also, thanks fir the tip on using LG backup...

happyguardian

I can confirm jchan observation for LG G5.  Factory reset required to get the data working. So sad but at least it works.

clemensp

I can confirm that a factory reset fixes data for the LG G5. Nothing else worked.

TP0703
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Thanks for the valuable info.

I am more interested in the other way around.

What if I use Koodo phone under PM in Canada, then want to use an AT&T SIM card in US in my vacation? Do I need a full factory reset to access AT&T data?

Scarlet

For me I first got my LG G4 on Koodo, I unlocked my phone and switched to wind and everything worked. When I switched to PM after wind thats where I had the no data issue. Not sure if it's just a PM thing. 

TP0703
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I have a question about this particular issue.

Is it only happening among LG phones purchased from Koodo/Telus, and trying to put a SIM card of another brand (e.g. Koodo phone used under Koodo, then switching to PM SIM card, or Telus phone used under Telus, then switching to Koodo SIM card)?

What if, for example, you unlock your Koodo LG phone and put in a Rogers or Wind SIM card?

Does anyone know?

jchan

@Rockdaddy22 wrote:
Doesn't android have something like iCloud backup that's saves almost everything on the phone?

@Rockdaddy22, actually I ended up taking adantage of the LG backup app that comes with the G5. It creates a backup file that is stored on the SD card. IT was around 2GB in size for me. 

After the factory reset, I ran the restore process and it brought back all of my apps, their settings, (even save files from games). I was using Nova Launcher and was quite surprised that it was able to restore icon packs and icon and widget placement on my home screens. 

jasgod

Hi, I just wanted to share my experience with a Koodo G5 and the same issue.  After activation and installation of the sim I did not have any data.  Calls and texts worked great.  I had to manually put in the apn settings but nothing including a reboot and re-insertion of the sim worked to get data.  Searching the forum I found this thread and factory reset the phone and now it works.  Awesome.  Thanks

WearySky
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Scarlet but many apps don't actually restore anything when you restore them from the cloud.  The app just re-installs and that's it.  It really comes down to the app developer to take advantage of it, I think.  And in older versions of Android (like say... 5 and earlier?) often it won't even restore apps or many settings in my experience.  It seems like Marshmalllow and Nougat have ironed out most of those bugs, though.

Scarlet
Apps and contacts are automatically saved to your Google account if you're logged in and turn on the feature. After you factory reset and log into your Google account you will have the option to restore most of your settings.

WearySky

@Rockdaddy22 Google does indeed store a lot of stuff in the cloud, but when it comes to things like app settings, etc, it relies on the app developers to take advantage of it.  It *will* let you restore all the apps you had installed (depending on what version of Android you have on your phone), at least on stock it will - I don't know if LG, Samsung, etc disable that functionality in their custom Android builds.  I just did a factory restore on my Nexus 6P the other day, and it let me chose which apps I wanted to restore, from my most recent backup.  But I'd say maybe only 30-40% of my apps actually restored all my settings, etc when I re-installed them.

Rockdaddy22
Doesn't android have something like iCloud backup that's saves almost everything on the phone?

jchan

After doing a factory reset the APN was auto populated. The values in the APN though were the same as the one I created manually.

I did see though that if I selected network manaully I was now able to connect to the Public Mobile, RAT: LTE option. 

Wish there was another way to get this working. The good thing to know though is that if you have an SD card then the LG backup app works very well. 

WearySky

@jchan glad you got it resolved.  Sad that it had to come to that though.  Out of curiosity, what network are you connected to now?  I'd really love to figure out what exactly the problem is, that a factory reset resolves it.

Scarlet

Had the same issue on the LG G4, a factory reset also did it for me. Cheers! 

PS: So much better than Wind!

srlawren

Thanks @jchan.  This seems to be needed on some LG G3, G4, and G5 models.  I'm not sure about earlier models in the series.  

jchan

Final Update:

It's official. I did a factory reset and now I have data. 

If you have an LG G5. It may be the only way to get data working. 

WearySky

@jchan Well that's definitely interesting.  On my Nexus 6P I just see "Public Mobile".  Another thing to try: set your network preference to 2G/3G only?  If you're only connected to a WCDMA network (3G) for whatever reason, and it's trying to force LTE, maybe that's part of what's screwing up?  Obviously it's not a solution (you don't want to be stuck on 3G data, one of the best parts of being with PM is LTE data)

jchan

I still have a ticket open with support so hopefully there is another solution. I'll hold out a while longer.

Thank goodness for Shaw open WIFI. 

Some new information, not sure if it's relevant. But when Go to mobile networks > network operators > search networks, I can see that Public Mobile, RAT: LTE is an option. When I try to connect to it however I get a message saying "unable to connect to this network at this time. Please try again later". When I do automatic registration it does find something to connect to though and I do have service. I tried manually connecting to the Public Mobile, RAT: WCDMA option as well and I can connect to that one.

McLaren

Wow even the g5 is affected... Must be something with LGs code that's affecting G3 and up

WearySky

@jchan then it sounds like you're stuck having to do a factory reset.  Which sucks, and I have no idea why LG phones seem to have this problem.

Need Help? Let's chat.