cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Public, now no internet??

TheRenegade
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, just joined Public Mobile with their Lunar New Years sale, and seemed to be going all fine, until I noticed today that I couldn't send/receive MMS. Which seemed weird, until I turned off my WiFi and it seems I am connected to the Public Mobile network, but cannot use data. I have verified my APN settings, and they are correct. And I swapped SIMs into another phone, and it also did not get internet..

What next steps should I be taking?

22 REPLIES 22

LoveNature
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi @dust2dust @computergeek541 

thank you for confirmation.

Maybe you could provide images of your apn settings. Maybe we'll spot something. Did you save what you did and then did you select the one to make it the active one?

Then you can go in and out of airplane to reconnect or all the way to restart.

Adding - lol was typing and then saw the update.

@LoveNature- In earlier days, one could choose not to have data in the plan or bother to buy add-ons or decline the freebies. MMS would work. iphones add a wrinkle so they just need to be configured properly.

@TheRenegade  porting has no effect on the data.  Porting only affects incoming calls and text.

The data problem is a sim/account provisioning issue.  Glad PM support spotted that and resolved it.  

enjoy your new service.

TheRenegade

So, CS said the following

Right now, I have performed a network and account provisioning refresh. Please turn off your phone for 2 minutes, turn it back on, make sure your data option is ON and Wi-Fi OFF, and test your services.

I did so, and it seems to be working. Maybe a hiccup in the port?? I had restarted my phone about a half dozen times.... and swapped sims around and it followed the sim.. I tested MMS, and they seem to be working!!!

Thanks for everyone's help!

@softech wrote:

@TheRenegade   any chance you have a Mobile data limit enabled?  if so, disable it

@computergeek541 Sorry, I don't have a Pixel 😞  but for stock Google, we can still check or adjust APN?  A network reset still worth the try?

The only reason I can see a network reset working would be if the user had mistakenly made changes to those settings.  Out of the box, all Pixel devices work immedately with Public Mobile without any changes to settings.

@TheRenegade   any chance you have a Mobile data limit enabled?  if so, disable it

@computergeek541 Sorry, I don't have a Pixel 😞  but for stock Google, we can still check or adjust APN?  A network reset still worth the try?

@TheRenegade wrote:

@softech 

Just posted another message, I have a PIxel 5, and I have reset the Network settings and manually entered the Public Mobile APN info. Still no data (but have texts and phone calls)

If you're using the stock Google software, there isn't any need to do anything with the APN settings. They work without adjustment. 

TheRenegade

@softech 

Just posted another message, I have a PIxel 5, and I have reset the Network settings and manually entered the Public Mobile APN info. Still no data (but have texts and phone calls)

TheRenegade

@LoveNature 

I just started my plan yesterday, and both my phone and the webpage say I have used under 10MB of data, so I don't think it's a data issue. Unless they didn't actually credit my account with having a data plan.

@HALIMACS 

My calling and texting are working fine, only came to my attention when I couldn't send a group text for a dinner I am going to tonight. I turned off WiFi to see what was going on, and saw that I did not have data via Public Mobile. I have reset all my network info like SIMon suggested, and have tried 5G, LTE and 3G as you have suggested (already tried before posting)

@Handy1 

I checked that out, I have a warning, but no limit set. I have set and limit and unset the limit to cycle that setting. Still no beuno....

I have a ticket in, but I also got PMd the number for the port team, guess I'll give them a call.. are they 24hrs?

I have a Pixel 5 just for future posts, and thanks for these suggestions! I had tried most of them already, but its nice to see that I was on the right track!

@LoveNature wrote:

@HALIMACS 

if not have data or not working data is not going through, you need a data on ok but you have to use small data for it,

As stated earlier, the data used for MMS doesn't count towards data usage.

LoveNature

@HALIMACS 

if not have data or not working data is not going through, you need a data on ok but you have to use small data for it,

@LoveNature 

MMS does not require data.   It simply requires mobile data to be toggled 'ON'.   MMS also does not use data from one's data allotment. 

LoveNature

@TheRenegade 

reset network and correct the APN.. click  PM APN Settings  and select your phone modal to get device APN info

and reboot device.

@TheRenegade data has nothing to do with porting

Porting is completed as long as you getting incoming calls or texts 

what brand and model of phone you have?  First start with Reset All Network and it will reset the APN.

LoveNature

Hi @HALIMACS 

if OP not have any data any left, how is MMS will be working, and when OP  turned off  WiFi, is can't send/receive MMS. is two issue #1 using full data, #2 APN not right,

@TheRenegade  Do you have a data limited on you phone set possible and do you have any data left also 

TheRenegade

Yes I did port over, I got a text from my old provider asking me if it was ok to port, and I replied yes. I then got a text from Public Mobile welcoming me to their service and asking me to restart my phone (I did). Is there another that I should have??

And I have restarted the phone several times today, cycled Airplane mode on/off several times and cycled Mobile data on/off a few times. No dice getting data, I have service for calls/texts. Just no data...

@LoveNature 

Whether or not one's data allotment has been exceeded will have no impact on being able to send or receive MMS messages.

It will impact data otherwise, for sure.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@TheRenegade  Can try this too 

Try  again  incognito mode/private mode or a different device or lap top or simply try refreshing the page when logged in

Handy1_0-1675465372209.png

For most up to date account info

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@TheRenegade wrote:

Hi, just joined Public Mobile with their Lunar New Years sale, and seemed to be going all fine, until I noticed today that I couldn't send/receive MMS. Which seemed weird, until I turned off my WiFi and it seems I am connected to the Public Mobile network, but cannot use data. I have verified my APN settings, and they are correct. And I swapped SIMs into another phone, and it also did not get internet..

What next steps should I be taking?

This is unlikely due to porting issues, @TheRenegade  (no offense, @Handy1 ).     Are all your other calling and texting (both in and out) working fine?

Try resetting your network connections and selecting 3G only under network connections.

I presume your MMS messaging is toggled on?   

Does this issue occur in certain locations, or everywhere?  Just wondering if signal could be an issue...

LoveNature

Hi @TheRenegade 

Login to your account and check it is your data usage any left,

or call *611 press 3 and you need your 4 digit PIN and check it out data usage.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@TheRenegade  Did you port number over to PM and miss the text of so there a number you can a call live support will send private message 

edit is your cellular data turned on also have you rebooted the phone 

if you need help from support gets the link also 

Getting support / submit ticket

• Get support by starting a conversation with virtual Chat box /SIMon. Click here                 

Or while your already here and logged in the community

• you can send a private message   CS_Agents by clicking here.

Watch for reply top of page to the

Right ( envelope image )

Need Help? Let's chat.