cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New phone but old sim card size doesn't match

Zeker
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have an old Alcatel OneTouch flip phone whose sim card size is standard. However, the new phone I currently have is a Motorola Moto G where according to this page https://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_g-5831.php , it needs a micro sim card instead.

So I would like to know if it is possible to obtain a replacement sim card for free or I need to buy new sim cards. https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/sim-card-change/td-p/17260 The steps of this page seem outdated and I can't follow them since the link leads me back to the frontpage instead.

4 REPLIES 4

koimr1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@will13am wrote:

Personally, I would shy away from SIM cutting.  The edges never come out perfect.  The last thing you need is the card to be stuck.  $10 is not a lot of money, buy a new card, which can be used in any of 3 sizes.

Yeah, agree. Fishing a stuck SIM card out of a phone is generally not worth saving ten bucks, especially if it gets really stuck.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Personally, I would shy away from SIM cutting.  The edges never come out perfect.  The last thing you need is the card to be stuck.  $10 is not a lot of money, buy a new card, which can be used in any of 3 sizes.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Zeker

Another option is to cut it down yourself by hand (with a utility knife or scissors).  It's not as difficult as you might think.  There are lots of tutorials on the net.  However, if there is a retail store near you that has one, it might not be worth the hassle.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@Zeker, you have a couple of options. If you know if someone who has a sim cutter the could cut it down for you.  Or you will have to purchase a new tri-punch sim card (best option). You can order them online or get them from select Walmart's, WOW mobile, or K-Mobile

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.