cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New activation 404 errors two times now!

streetcore
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm trying activate a new SIM and last night I got a "404 - File or directory not found" after entering my credit card. This happened immediately. There was no time for anything to "timeout".

I checked my card this morning and it was not charged. Did a search here and saw it was recommended to try again with an Incognito browser window. Did this on a different computer. Now I didn't even get to the payment screen. After I entered my personal info and selected a new number I got a the same "404 - File or directory not found" error at the url https://activate.publicmobile.ca/timeout/. It happened immediately again with no time delay for anything to timeout. I didn't even have time to "wiggle my mouse so the system doesn't hang" as one user suggested.

What do I do now? This is not a good first impression of PM!

19 REPLIES 19

@streetcore 

Awesome I'm happy the moderators sorted you out.....did you burn a few donuts in celebration?

@BearFBI 

Sorry i missed your post the other day....i don't know did things change? I am old school so im not thinking the referral link has been used. I often mention that you enter the referral code about halfway down the first activation page just as a reminder as a heads up for the non-tech savvy especially if they do an in store activation where I've heard many new customers complain that they were not asked for their referral code. So if they know basically where it is they can jump in if salesperson doesn't ask and just skips over it....or worse yet just enters their own code!!

@streetcore Glad everything worked out for you in the end. Welcome to PM.

streetcore

The mods got it setup and didn't need my credit card. They activated the sim, then I setup my self-serve account and made payment.

Thanks for all the help and advice. I hope PM can get these 404 errors resolved. It seems lots of people have the same problem and the activation process was much more complicated than it should have been. 

streetcore

@darlicious wrote:

@streetcore 

That's good to hear....so go back to my list, follow it and activate your sim. The public mobile website is a Chevy nova not a McLaren. Get your overalls on and get at it!

Well, to continue your car analogy... I didn't want to turn the ignition while someone else had their head under the hood. So I was waiting for a reply from a moderator since they said they were working on it already.

@streetcore 

Once you get your services going with Public Mobile, here is something else you can do to prevent your services from stopping.

Autopay sometimes fail for renewals. To prevent you from losing service, the recommendation from the PM forum is to make a payment a few days before your renewal date to cover the cost of the plan. The renewal will take the money out of your Available Funds and you can leave your credit card on file for the autopay reward.

@streetcore 

That's good to hear....so go back to my list, follow it and activate your sim. The public mobile website is a Chevy nova not a McLaren. Get your overalls on and get at it!

shep22
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@streetcore wrote:

I have no problem with low budget DIY services, but the platform needs to work. I'm not technology challenged and I've been working on houses, cars, and all kinds of machines, since the 60s. So I know all about DIY. 

@streetcore hi have you had any luck activating yet? moderators can take a day or two to respond give it another try hopefully the system has fixed itself seems to happen a lot around here 

streetcore

I have no problem with low budget DIY services, but the platform needs to work. I'm not technologically challenged and I've been working on houses, cars, and all kinds of machines, since the 60s. Not to mention web design, databases, etc. So I know all about DIY. 

@streetcore 

Public mobile is pretty much a DIY service with online support only. You are expected to learn how to manage your service and your account. The moderators are a last resort fix account issues with the back end system that none of us have access to.....pm is like a classic car. She takes some work....and you do it yourself. You only bring it to a mechanic because you've tried to fix yourself and tried everything you can think of so you bite the bullet. Not everyone can change a radiator. But you can replace the fan belt or the spark plugs, put in a new oil pan ....maybe even replace the muffler. Shine her up good and be proud if yourself. I sure was when i finally got my dang sim card activated. Trust me I was extremely technologically challenged a year ago......ask anyone!

If you make the commitment to learn you won't be disappointed with your accomplishments.

JLakerson
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@streetcore 

Hi, I had the same experience as well. Activating my SIM card was definitely quite frustrating as I got the error code a bunch of times when I also entered in my credit card. I was coming from a Koodo postpaid plan and I was also unsure if I was supposed to create a new number or not but after doing a bit of research, I realized that I didn't need to create a new number. I also 'timed out' a bunch of times even when I never left the page... There also wasn't a live agent at the time and I didn't want to create a ticket as I wanted to figure it out then and there. 

This may or may not help but what ended up working for me is I ended up entering a debit card instead of a credit card.

@streetcore 

I think you may have wanted to do a little more research on public mobile before choosing it. But we are here to help you and give you the low down. If your expecting the moderators to do the activation for you then you have to give up your credit card number. It's in a secure private message if you are worried once you are finished with customer support simply delete any messages with sensitive information.

streetcore

I must say I'm really not impressed with all these hassles. Support also asked for my credit card number in a private message. Doesn't seem very secure and seems like a terrible way for a large company to be operating. 

BearFBI

@darlicious wrote:

Enter your referral code about halfway down the first activation page                                             

@darlicious When did this precaution come into place ?  Are you suggesting that users skip the referral code section until they have filled out half of the first page then go back to it and insert your friends referral

@streetcore 

When I activated a year ago I had a ton of errors and it took 6 tries and 5 - 50 min session lock outs until someone told me to use chrome and explained to me how to find incognito mode. A moderator can sort of help but they will just tell you to do what i have listed for you. They can't activate the sim for you and it would be very inefficient for them to hold your hand thru activation. That's what we're here for.....use public mobiles greatest resource and asset to your advantage... the community!

@streetcore did you try refreshing the page when you got that 404 error? or pressing the back button?

streetcore

Live chat helped me create a support ticket. So we'll see what happens.

@streetcore 

Follow these pointers for an error free activation...

1. Clear your browser history and close all tabs.
  2. Reboot your device.
  3. Open one tab only in secret/incognito mode.
  4. Firefox, chrome or safari work best.
  5. Do not use back button
  6. Enter your referral code about halfway down the first activation page
  7. Do not use the apt/unit box in your credit card billing address details.
  8. Add any suite # to your street address. ie 101-123 1st AVE W YOUR TOWN, PROV,
  9. Do not add a space to the postal code. X0X0X0 not X0X 0X0.
  10. USE ALL CAPS if necessary. 

Welcome to public mobile.

streetcore

Ok, I'll try the live chat. Thanks

Gunner123

@streetcore wrote:

I'm trying activate a new SIM and last night I got a "404 - File or directory not found" after entering my credit card. This happened immediately. There was no time for anything to "timeout".

I checked my card this morning and it was not charged. Did a search here and saw it was recommended to try again with an Incognito browser window. Did this on a different computer. Now I didn't even get to the payment screen. After I entered my personal info and selected a new number I got a the same "404 - File or directory not found" error at the url https://activate.publicmobile.ca/timeout/. It happened immediately again with time delay for anything to timeout.

What do I do now? This is not a good first impression of PM!

@streetcore hi try the live chat on this page https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/plans

Need Help? Let's chat.