cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New account with no service.

TheBeekeeper
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi there,

I have a brand new Public Mobile account with a ported number from Freedom Mobile on an unlocked iPhone 7.  I have no service.  I’ve gone through old threads to try to solve this problem on my own but still no service.

This is what I’ve tried so far -

waiting for the porting process to take place

restarting my phone and the network

switching between the old SIM card and the new one (old SIM card is no longer active)

checking to see if my phone is blacklisted (it’s not)

Have you had this issue?  What else can I try?

Thank you!

21 REPLIES 21

@TheBeekeeper wrote:

I wanted to provide an update for my issue that still remains unsolved.

Over the weekend, I visited an Apple store to confirm that my phone is in working order, it is not blacklisted and to obtain proof of purchase.  

I also did a factory reset.

There is no change.  The phone still shows as no service.

I decided to recheck my compatibility which I had already done when a previous poster made the suggestion.  So, I used the checker a Public Mobile and Telus and my phone IS compatible but it now shows that my phone has been lost or stolen.  This is absolutely not the case.  My IEMI is fine on other sites only Public and Telus.

So the issue is that my phone has been blacklisted for some unknown reason.  What do I do now?  This has been far more difficult that it should be.

If you are referring to the IMEI checker on the websites, I would not go by them. 

Use this site to check if it is blacklisted, https://www.devicecheck.ca/

If this site shows that it is not blacklisted then I would contact Telus directly and ask then to check. If they say your phone is blacklisted than I would explain the circumstances and that you have the original invoice. Ask them how to fix it.

TheBeekeeper

I wanted to provide an update for my issue that still remains unsolved.

Over the weekend, I visited an Apple store to confirm that my phone is in working order, it is not blacklisted and to obtain proof of purchase.  

I also did a factory reset.

There is no change.  The phone still shows as no service.

I decided to recheck my compatibility which I had already done when a previous poster made the suggestion.  So, I used the checker a Public Mobile and Telus and my phone IS compatible but it now shows that my phone has been lost or stolen.  This is absolutely not the case.  My IEMI is fine on other sites only Public and Telus.

So the issue is that my phone has been blacklisted for some unknown reason.  What do I do now?  This has been far more difficult that it should be.

What is your specific model of iPhone?  It should be on the box, or on something inside the box, if not found electronicàlly on the device.

im not an iPhone guy,not sure where you’d look for this.

Going to a local Apple store to the Genius Bar, or whatever it is called, may help you out with this whole problem also.

TheBeekeeper

I just tried my SIM card in another unlocked phone and it worked fine.  So the issue must be with my phone.  

Another piece of information that that I did not consider important but might be...is that this was purchased in the US.  I’m the one and only owner.  I purchased it brand new from the Apple store.  I’ve never had a contract with any company.  I purchased it July 2017 in the US and moved to Canada with it this past June.

Here are a couple things I noticed -

When I go into Settings>General>About it shows the Network as “Not Available”.  When I click on that, it tells me “Phone not allowed.”  

I also get get a pop up message that says “iPhone is not activated.  Contact your carrier if this problem continues to occur.  Ignore or Try again.

TheBeekeeper

Thank you!  I will try this.

TheBeekeeper

Thank you!  I will try this as well.

I purchased this phone brand new from an Apple store.  I’ve never had a contract with any cellular company.  However, I did purchase this phone while living in the US then moved to Canada...could this be the issue?

@TheBeekeeper, the recommendation for the factory reset although harsh, has been found useful for many Freedom to Public Mobile transfers, whether porting your old number or not.

For whatever reasons, Freedom has *something* different than a lot of other carriers happening on their devices, when doesn't always allow a quick change-over.  Frustrating for sure.

If you do the factory reset - ensure you've backed up your information with iTunes or iCloud or something else.

I truly hope you find it good here at Public Mobile, once your activation is fully functional.

@TheBeekeeper wrote:

Understood.  Thank you!

Another thing you can try while you are waiting is to do a factory reset. Set the phone up as new and do the minimum to set it up. Then try the text, call and data if you have it and see if it is working. 

Of course you will need to do a backup if you have content you do not want lost.

You said your phone is unlocked and not reported stolen. Is this a second hand phone you just got? If so how do you know it is unlocked?

TheBeekeeper

Understood.  Thank you!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@TheBeekeeper wrote:
What will this test?

It finds whether it's the phone or the SIM.

@TheBeekeeper wrote:

Sorry.  I didn’t notice your post edit and I do care.

Thank you for the suggestion.  I will give this a try when I have access to an unlocked phone which won’t be until tonight.  Hopefully, this issue will be fixed by then.🤞What will this test?

If the sim works perfectly in another phone then you know the sim, the port and the network is working. So then you know it is a setting in your device.

TheBeekeeper

Thank you!  I’ll try this.

TheBeekeeper

Sorry.  I didn’t notice your post edit and I do care.

Thank you for the suggestion.  I will give this a try when I have access to an unlocked phone which won’t be until tonight.  Hopefully, this issue will be fixed by then.🤞What will this test?

TheBeekeeper

Thank you for responding.

It’s only been about 3 hours since I tried porting the number.

Public Mobile comes up as the provider.

@Anonymous wrote:

@TheBeekeeper wrote:

My account status is active.

Maybe you didn't notice my post edit (or didn't care 🙂 ) Were you able to try the SIM in another unlocked phone?

This is the easiest way of determining if it is an issue with the phone or the network.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@TheBeekeeper wrote:

Maybe you didn't notice my post edit (or didn't care 🙂 ) Were you able to try the SIM in another unlocked phone?

@TheBeekeeper wrote:

How long as it been since you tried porting your number?

What does it say for carrier network in settings?

TheBeekeeper

TheBeekeeper

My device shows “no service” in the top left hand corner.  I am unable to send/receive any texts/calls except with iMessage over wifi.

Thanks for your help!

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@TheBeekeeper

It is bad as you do not have mobile service as the old Freedom SIM si not longer working.

Is "Public Mobile" shown on your iPhone?

Login to yourt self-serve account.  Is your account status = Active?

How long ago did you port your number from Freedom?

If it is more than a day, it is time to send a private message to moderator team for help.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@TheBeekeeper wrote:

Hi there,

I have a brand new Public Mobile account with a ported number from Freedom Mobile on an unlocked iPhone 7.  I have no service.  I’ve gone through old threads to try to solve this problem on my own but still no service.

This is what I’ve tried so far -

waiting for the porting process to take place

restarting my phone and the network

switching between the old SIM card and the new one (old SIM card is no longer active)

checking to see if my phone is blacklisted (it’s not)

Have you had this issue?  What else can I try?

Thank you!

Welcome. Sorry about your introductory problems.

Ports can apparently take a little while.

When you say no service do you mean just emergency calls or voice or text or data? In or out? Which?

Edit: Can you try the SIM in another unlocked phone?

Need Help? Let's chat.