cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Negativity For First World Problems

PublicMobile101
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Being a part of this community for over year now. I have seen all the Hardwork and passion that public mobile has for its customers. I don't even really see myself as a customer more of a part of the community. However I have seen some negativity when things go wrong, people tend to overreact when there is a bug or an error with the service. They tend to forget all the amazing deals the public mobile gives us. They used even give us free Sim cards with free shipping!

I think as a community we should try to keep a positive attitude and work together to solve the problems that we face together and look forward Into the future.

This is the only cell phone company that actually keeps giving me better and better deals. Most cell phone companies that I've seen keep on raising their prices and or giving you less features.

I hope we can get past this first world problems and Instead work together as a community to make everyone's Mobile situations even better.

46 REPLIES 46

@daredogg to the best of my knowledge noone lost (permanently) their numbers

It just surprised me it was not a 1 off glitch thing

@srlawren figure of speech, I certainly am not saying it is not a major hassle (I went through it) but even if there was no compensation at all, my point was you could buy a SIM and use it for the timeframe you are offline (eg in my case, pay a month & use a week). It is a major hassle/annoyance. But even if Public went bankrupt tomorrow and everyone of us lost all cell service it is not the end of the world. It just is a huge pain in the ___ to let everyone (work, school, friend, etc) know our number changed.

I waited a couple of days without phone (and certainly posted enough about it Cat Wink ) and when I decided I needed to make calls I got a SIM

Worst case scenario the person doing this has lost a few dollars

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
Those kind of things can happen on any carrier believe it or not. It was just terrible timing that's for sure.

@srlawren @Rockdaddy22 me too, with the success with PM, but I must admit I was checking out Koodo's plans yesterday. I am somewhat concerned about veteran customers losing their numbers, and in the back of my mind was wondering if I should forgo the risk and jump ship.

Conclusion: I still pay less with PM, and the potential rewards make it the best choice, despite the issues. I'll be staying around for now (pending a major catastrophe with my number)! Robot LOL

Rockdaddy22

I feel safe with them lol 🙂 I was joking of course 🙂

srlawren

@Rockdaddy22 lol I'm not sure I'd go quite that far (suicide), but it would be a considerable disruption, let's say.  That's probably smart having some spare SIMs around.  I may have to consider doing that too, though *knocks on wood* thus far I've had nothing but success with PM.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Rockdaddy22
It's true I'd almost kill myself without my phone lol But I have sims from other companies lying around that I'd activate in a heartbeat just for a month or whatever to get by.

srlawren

@kav2001c I don't think most providers will sell you a week or two worth of pre-paid service, it would be in chunks of a month at a time with no refund like PM for cancelling  And I don't think there's any guarantee PM would credit someone back the amount they had to pay provider-X for their temporary pre-paid service.  But in any event the hassle of having to contact anyone you want to stay in contact with and giving them your temporary number and then having to do that again once resolved would be pretty enormous.

I'm hoping you're kidding about your other suggestion of popping into a friend's or neighbour's to make a quick call.  I'm in touch throughout my day with my mom (sms, calls), my better half (bbm, calls), colleagues and clients (mobile email, slack, sms, calls), and others!  My smartphone is also my work phone and I get a monthly $ amount toward my bill, with the expectation that I'm reachable on it when needed.  I spend my transit commute every morning and evening catching up on email, doing timesheets, reading industry-related twitter feeds, and chatting with colleagues.  I would be more than lost if my service went down for any length of time, and popping over to a friend's place to make a call just ain't going to cut it!

Sorry I'm not trying to be difficult but I think you are downplaying the amount that our mobile devices and service have intertwined in our modern lives.  I know for a fact I am not alone in how I use mine.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@srlawren wrote:
@kav2001c I'd say it's a fairly personal call whether it's essential or not. For me, I'd rather be without cable tv, home internet, even hydro (provided I had another way to charge my phone!) for a few days than my smartphone and service. Even if it isn't essential essential, it's extremely important to many people these days. It's how we stay in touch.

But again, if your work / personal situation warrants it, you could easily walk into any mall in Canada and get a prepay SIM for a week or two

It wouldn't even cost you a penny (since when Public restores your service they have been giving away free service based on how bad your account was down)

And that is making the huge assumption you could not use a landline or friend/family cell for a quick call

@srlawren I loved that song but thought was too obvious

The second link has the best ending (poker set with glasses Cat Wink )

srlawren
@kav2001c I'd say it's a fairly personal call whether it's essential or not. For me, I'd rather be without cable tv, home internet, even hydro (provided I had another way to charge my phone!) for a few days than my smartphone and service. Even if it isn't essential essential, it's extremely important to many people these days. It's how we stay in touch.

For more FWP fun, don't forget the weird al song & video:

https://youtu.be/bwvlbJ0h35A

@Titanmowgli well I don't know how "essential" cell service is... I was down nearly a week and life went on...

I also am in an industry that very traditionally relies on cell phone use

Essential service to me is 911 (which does work even during outtage)

I think it is more that we get upset when something we want to work does not work

I mean really, even if you had no cell service whatsoever and you do not own a landline

You still could borrow freind/family phone to place a call or just use a work phone

Or even bite the bullet and just grab the cheapest SIM you could find for essential calls

(If a phone is that important to someone, spend the $$$ to get a backup SIM for a month

Then TXT those important contacts you are having issues)

That is why I kinda agree with thread title about first world problems

Oh and just for fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vN2WzQzxuoA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Cl7TY92rd4

Titanmowgli
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@kav2001c Yes I remember that.  But I think the point is that people have a right to be upset when an essential service that they've paid for is disrupted for extended periods of time, and I think in this day and age, cell phone service is increasingly becoming an "essential service".

I am not trying to blame PM - I am sure they are doing the best they can to resolve all these issues.  I just do not appreciate the intent to marginalize or trivialize the legitimate frustrations that many PM customers are feeling.

@Titanmowgli it did happen. 2003.

Just a few years ago the entire east coast (US & Canada) got wiped out

People complained but nothing changed afterwards

No communication and providers obviously had no idea how it happened 

The power outtage is far more serious than a phone outtage (since this caused people sickness and potential death, whereas your Public phone even if no service will still work for 911)

Titanmowgli
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@PublicMobile101 a more apt analogy is that you experience a power outage, and the outage lasts for days, sometimes weeks, with little to no communication from the utility provider on when the power will be restored.  That is something that many PM customers are currently experiencing.

I am pretty sure that you would not happily accept this "first world problem" if it ever happened to you.

Rockdaddy22
Like I said, he's already been helped. I'm looking people currently waiting that long.

Eug

@Rockdaddy22 wrote:
It's says Day 4

I linked the actual post:

Oh friend...friend friend friend...14 days here still waiting on a resolution for my porting issue. Not trying to put down 4 days (that's pretty terrible...shouldn't ever take 4 days to resolve anything).

May a resolution come to you swiftly!

Rockdaddy22
I just want to try and help them. That's all. Not trying to argue or anything.

Rockdaddy22
It looks like Shaz got to him. I'm looking for people who are still currently waiting that long.

Rockdaddy22
It's says Day 4

Eug

@Rockdaddy22 wrote:
Please point me to the people waiting weeks, I'd appreciate it.

Here ya go.

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/DAY-4-STILL-WAITING-TO-PORT-WHERE-ARE-THE-...

Ironically, you even posted in this very thread.

Rockdaddy22
Please point me to the people waiting weeks, I'd appreciate it.

Eug

@kav2001c wrote:

@Eug wrote:
These kumbaya posts are starting to get really irritating.

@Eug but the major problem threads are becoming fewer

Still issues but it seems like most are at least starting to process now

Well, it's about time, considering some people have been waiting 2 weeks.

It's bad enough the forums are filled with customer service requests. Adding a bunch of useless kumbaya threads just clogs things up even more.

@Eug wrote:

@Eug but the major problem threads are becoming fewer

Still issues but it seems like most are at least starting to process now

Eug

@PublicMobile101 wrote:

Being a part of this community for over year now. I have seen all the Hardwork and passion that public mobile has for its customers. I don't even really see myself as a customer more of a part of the community. However I have seen some negativity when things go wrong, people tend to overreact when there is a bug or an error with the service. They tend to forget all the amazing deals the public mobile gives us. They used even give us free Sim cards with free shipping!

I think as a community we should try to keep a positive attitude and work together to solve the problems that we face together and look forward Into the future.

This is the only cell phone company that actually keeps giving me better and better deals. Most cell phone companies that I've seen keep on raising their prices and or giving you less features.

I hope we can get past this first world problems and Instead work together as a community to make everyone's Mobile situations even better.

@srlawren their name is gbokodi and no they weren't banned. They probably would of went and made another account if that happened, so what's the use?

@PublicMobile101 I also think it's unfortunate a lot of people got lost in the shuffle. If your activation and port worked... great, you're a happy customer. If something failed and you had to wait a few days to get it resolved... you're not so happy of a customer. If you still haven't heard from anyone... you're not a happy customer! I see in yesterday's post from PM, they're making it their #1 priority to get through the backlog.

srlawren

@PublicMobile101 while I see the point of view, and I really do love being a PM customer, I have to say I'd be really upset if I was without service or partial service for several days.  I understand how the situation arose and I'm not at all criticising the moderators whom I think have done an amazing job.  But, that said, even if it is a "first world problem" (and I agree, but....), working service really should be table stakes for a mobile provider.  I'm confident that once everyone gets up and running they will love it, but quite honestly we've come to really rely on our mobile tech and service.  For me, I haven't had a home phone in years, and the company I moved to about 7 months ago only uses mobile with no work/desk phones.  So, for someone like me (and there are plenty!), it's really my only means of communication.  I would be devastated to have to wait days to get it working again.

So, while I agree that some folks may have channelled that frustration poorly or inappropriately (like that person who thought it was a good idea to flood the moderator's inbox--I lost track of that thread, did he/she get banned?  anyone know?), I do understand the frustration and disappointment.

I don't think we should marginalize the disastrous initial experience that unforutnately way too many people had siginging up during this promo, @PublicMobile101.  Just my two cents, take it for what it's worth. 

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

Besides the odd absurd issues (which noone can explain) most of the tech issues are fairly simple to correct

The main issue I see here is the multiple complaints about people not getting issues resolved and no updates on what is going on

It's one thing to say eliminate the brick & mortar stores (which lets be honest, every mall in Canada pretty much has a Telus & Koodo store or kiosk costing them millions)

But the bigger issue here (and as I mentioned in BETA thread is the issue that killed off Wind) is the seeming lack of ownership for issues

There will be some who stick it out either for pride or price but Public has only survived on word of mouth

So for every 1 long term client telling family/friends good things there are like 10 new clients who will bash Public.

It was a very poor business decision and could cost them long term

If you had a problem & mod responded eta to fix is 10 days people would be less upset than not hearing anything back

Right now nearly everyone is in the dark 

bryanbreguet

@Korth wrote:

@bryanbreguet

Here's the official word from PM.  Not all good news, and you're right about a lot of these problems (along with angry customers, bad rep, and lost revenues) apparently being caused by poor planning on PM's part.  At least they're forthright and honest about the admission.

I do feel like "part of a community" in the sense that I benefit from the participation of other members - I can get the information or support I need to resolve issues - and I can help other members get the same (plus I get bribed with Rewards credited directly towards my account balance, which is just gravy).  Sure PM's "community" isn't as formal (or necessarily as prompt or efficient) as a typical corporate phone-tech-support department - but it generally does work and, in my opinion, it's a far less frustrating alternative.  I'll happily put myself forward to champion PM's cause because I prefer being empowered with a "DIY" and "hands-on" methodology while I loathe being transferred around between tyrannical bureaucratic apparatchniks who are too disinterested, unauthorized, or unknowledgeable to resolve phone issues.  And I admit that perhaps it's not the best system for everyone.

Yes, you're angry, and hell yeah I'd be angry too if I'd traded reliable working phone service on one carrier into nothing but a pile of headaches and delays and on another.  PM took your money (with no refunds!) but now your phone service doesn't work, and their support staff is too busy drowning under a new promo wave to fix your problem in a timely fashion?  That's exactly how my first experience with PM turned out.  I found PM was worth the effort and I repeat the "be patient, be positive" mantra this thread's OP is attempting to convey - I hope it works out well for you whether you choose to stick with PM or not.

@Korth Actually I'm not angry. I switched months ago and everything went fine. Then I made my gf switch 3 weeks ago and there was also no problem. That's not my point.

@bryanbreguet

Here's the official word from PM.  Not all good news, and you're right about a lot of these problems (along with angry customers, bad rep, and lost revenues) apparently being caused by poor planning on PM's part.  At least they're forthright and honest about the admission.

I do feel like "part of a community" in the sense that I benefit from the participation of other members - I can get the information or support I need to resolve issues - and I can help other members get the same (plus I get bribed with Rewards credited directly towards my account balance, which is just gravy).  Sure PM's "community" isn't as formal (or necessarily as prompt or efficient) as a typical corporate phone-tech-support department - but it generally does work and, in my opinion, it's a far less frustrating alternative.  I'll happily put myself forward to champion PM's cause because I prefer being empowered with a "DIY" and "hands-on" methodology while I loathe being transferred around between tyrannical bureaucratic apparatchniks who are too disinterested, unauthorized, or unknowledgeable to resolve phone issues.  And I admit that perhaps it's not the best system for everyone.

Yes, you're angry, and hell yeah I'd be angry too if I'd traded reliable working phone service on one carrier into nothing but a pile of headaches and delays and on another.  PM took your money (with no refunds!) but now your phone service doesn't work, and their support staff is too busy drowning under a new promo wave to fix your problem?  That's exactly how my first experience with PM turned out, no phone and no money along with uncertainty about the value of the unknown carrier sucks. Here's one thread from a frustrated new customer who wants out.  I found PM was worth the effort and I repeat the "be patient, be positive" mantra this thread's OP is attempting to convey - I hope it works out well for you whether you choose to stick with PM or not.

Need Help? Let's chat.