cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My son switched providers the day after I paid for his monthly plan, how do I get credit for payment

Breathlesshush
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My son went to a local provider and signed up for a 2 year contract, mainly to get a new iPhone. He ported his number to the new provider (unbeknownst to me!), the day AFTER I paid for his plan. How can I either have the payment applied to my account, or receive credit/refund of the payment?

I refuse to believe that it's just "gone"...easy enough to track payment and transfer to my account I would think.

Any help/advice appreciated!! Thanks in advance!

14 REPLIES 14

Breathlesshush

Hmmm...I'm pretty sure I was asking for advice regarding the possibility of receiving a refund...

HOWEVER, it seems a couple of people thought I was looking for parenting advice...

Breathlesshush

So after I posted this and read the first few comments, I was totally mortified when I realized I was acting like a newbie and asking for something that I KNEW wasn't available. 

*Hangs head in shame*

I'm sorry. 

@joshmandrusiak wrote:

Not allways. I had a pre paid account with virgin and i had to pay one month extra even though my number was portad 

Since you're saying that the old carrier did not automatically close your account, that's their fault. You should have fought it. Upon porting out, they must close out that service and aren't allowed to keep charging you.

joshmandrusiak

Not allways. I had a pre paid account with virgin and i had to pay one month extra even though my number was portad 

@Breathlesshush  Well it never hurts to ask....and the community has overwhelmingly said you are out of luck. I'm usually the champion for asking for some leeway from public mobile but in this case I just don't see the point in wasting the moderators time. Your son decided to take charge of his account and what phone he wanted and what provider he wants to be with and how much he is willing to pay for his service. Look at that payment as a huge savings on your part. Its the last time you have to pay for his service. Hes responsible for his own bills now. Youll get your money back next month when you dont have to fork out for his bill.

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

This isn't something Public should pay for. Your son should pay. There aren't  any carriers that'll refund prepaid. The money is gone.

@Anonymous wrote:

@Breathlesshush 

Get your son to work off his gaff in chores over and above what he already does.

Take it out of his allowance.

@Breathlesshush  Agreed - obviously your son was fully aware that you were paying for his phone service, so if he switched providers, without giving you a heads-up, that's on him.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Breathlesshush 

Get your son to work off his gaff in chores over and above what he already does.

Take it out of his allowance.

Deny him a particular paid activity that you probably would have paid otherwise or have in the past.

But you won't be getting money from Public Mobile.

With what money did he move over to another provider?

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@popping in such clear cases there is no need to direct people to moderators. Please direct customers to simon/mods only when it is clearly a situation they can fix, especially now when I believe we might be facing a reduced moderator levels.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Breathlesshush , you can refuse to believe it but it is true, there are no refunds.  When you signed up for the service, there was a step that involve accepting the terms of service which include condition on refunds.  Sorry, but you need to coordinate with the rest of the family a bit better.  If your son ported to another Telus brand, you might have a case to plead.  But if it is to a competitor, take the loss and move on.  

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

I'm sorry to hear that

You most likely won't be able to recover anything

You could try asking, they are usually very nice and like to retain costumers

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@Breathlesshush  PM is a prepaid service there are no refunds. And since your son ported his number out. The account is closed.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Breathlesshush  When porting out your number the account automatically closes. Those are the rules.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Breathlesshush wrote:

My son went to a local provider and signed up for a 2 year contract, mainly to get a new iPhone. He ported his number to the new provider (unbeknownst to me!), the day AFTER I paid for his plan. How can I either have the payment applied to my account, or receive credit/refund of the payment?

I refuse to believe that it's just "gone"...easy enough to track payment and transfer to my account I would think.

Any help/advice appreciated!! Thanks in advance!

PM is a prepaid service.  There is no refund for the unused days with the prepaid service.

You son can afford for an new iPhone with his credit check.  He should be able to pay you back.

You can create a moderator support ticket to beg your money back(YMMV) using the ? button at the right side bottom corner of this page.

1. Tell SIMon what is the issue
2. Ask for "moderator"
3. SIMon will give your 2 choices. Click on the "Account-specific question"
4. Then, click on "No, I want a human"
5. Click "Submit a ticket"
6. Follow instruction to create support ticket.

After submitted a ticket, members should check their private message SENT folder for their ticket which they just created.
If you cannot find your ticket in your SENT box, You did not create your support ticket yet. Also monitor your INBOX for any reply from moderator.
Click the envelop icon at the top right corner to access your private message mailbox.

You can also enable email notification after receiving a private message at your INBOX.
My settings --> PREFERENCES --> Private Messenger --> enable "Receive email notifications for new private messages' --> Save

Need Help? Let's chat.