cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My phone is from India and so 5G and 4G plus doesn't work on it properly...

tester12
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Yes I have checked all bands and my phone is compatible with 5G and 4G including 5G+ (6 Ghz), My phone has all bands possible (A52s).

27 REPLIES 27

tester12

thing is technically they should work because they support the same bands as provided by PM or any other network, and in my case Samsung A52s 5G literally supports everything.

@tester12 wrote:

Here are different speeds: (note that when phone is set to 5G it still falls back on 4G which is visible from top)

• 3G = 6mbps down / 1.17mbps up
  • 4G = 72.6mbps down / 10.5mbps up
  • 5G = 50.6mbps down / 10.3mbps up

@tester12 , I would not be that worried about these speed test results.  More concerning is the lack of VoLTE support for this phone.  

HI @tester12 

not all phones are designed to be world phone.  Many does not have the network bands needed here.  VoLTE is another issue as PM has a shortlist of compatible devices

But if you are planning to buy new phones from Asia to use here, buy bigger names and buy those models that sells here.  If you decide to buy other brands or models that Canada does not have, choose International model instead of regional version

maurelle
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@slusagm wrote:

Phones not designed for Canada are cheaper and a bigger selection, but likely suffer from lack of network bands compatible with Canadian carriers (not just PM).  So, it really depends on the phone you are getting

and yes, not all overseas phones will work well in Canada.

Add: i am talking about general network connectivity issue, not just VoLTE

Specifically low cost devices that are primarily geared towards Asia. Often part of the cost is saved on a radio with limited bands. 

This also applies for pocket hotspot devices (ie the ZTE MF 928, which has NA bands) - most of them don't have the required bands to work well in Canada.

I'm at the point of not ordering a device I like if the listing isn't clear on the supported bands, even if it's listed on amazon.CA... If I relied on the voice function of a line for business purposes, I'd (grudgingly) use a Canadian sourced Pixel phone these days. And, after PM couldn't even acknowledge the dropped call issue for months, that line would not be here.

tester12

I 100% agree, this takes away the consumers choice to use any phone from any country they want.

maurelle

@tester12 wrote:

wow really? this is sad, what if i wanna buy a Chinese phone.

I know of a Umidigi Bison on which VoLTE worked perfectly when the feature was first activated on the account. Something like 3 months in, PM yanked VoLTE from that phone. Put the exact same SIM into a Pixel 6a, VoLTE worked. Put Freedom SIM into the Bison, VoLTE worked.

I'm of the opinion that a pure BYOD provider should not be allowed to artificially restrict devices / features delivered to less mainstream devices... Yet here we are, unfortunately.

@tester12 wrote:

this makes sense but i also don't 4G plus, should that be included in the plan?

All plans allow access to the same networks.  When Public Mobile says 4g plan, they only mean that the maximum download speed is about 100Mbps.

slusagm
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

4G+ just the different name different brand of the phone uses.  It does not mean better speed

at the end, your speed still capped by your plan.  4G+ or not would not make a difference

tester12

this makes sense but i also don't 4G plus, should that be included in the plan?

slusagm

if you got it around May this year, the $29/40GB is a 4G plan and not a 5G plan

so, given you get as much as 72Mb , it is a good speed.

tester12

$29/month 40GB

slusagm

I wouldn't say it is terrible.  You clearly have been 4G speed than 5G.

What plan you have?

tester12

Here are different speeds: (note that when phone is set to 5G it still falls back on 4G which is visible from top)

• 3G = 6mbps down / 1.17mbps up
  • 4G = 72.6mbps down / 10.5mbps up
  • 5G = 50.6mbps down / 10.3mbps up

slusagm

A52S should be ok. But cnnot use speed test to test the different bands and post us the result?

test 3G, 4G and 5G

tester12

Samsung Galaxy A52s 5G.

slusagm

that it should be good. what phone you have?

tester12

My phone literally supports all 4G bands + 5G bands + sub 6 5G

slusagm

the 5G yes, but not the 4G

I read it here, you need a 4G band to help your 5G, if you don't have that 4G band, 5G wont' work and that is exactly the reason

also, it is safer to have the 4G as it is still more stable than 5G 

tester12

Most Chinese phones and modern phones nowadays support all bands including 5G but Canadian and US carriers don't whitelist them for some reason, all they have to do is type in IMEI.

slusagm

Phones not designed for Canada are cheaper and a bigger selection, but likely suffer from lack of network bands compatible with Canadian carriers (not just PM).  So, it really depends on the phone you are getting

and yes, not all overseas phones will work well in Canada.

Add: i am talking about general network connectivity issue, not just VoLTE

tester12

wow really? this is sad, what if i wanna buy a Chinese phone.

maurelle

@tester12 wrote:

I this is a IMEI whitelist issue, the service people have to put in my Phone's IMEI in their network to unlock the network, do you know how can I make them do it.

Good luck trying - in my personally experience they have outright refused to enable international versions of the whitelisted phones. I got an outright nasty response from CSA when I politely inquired about enabling a phone that is fully compatible but not directly sold in Canada (Sony Xperia 5 III).

BTW why are my posts in this thread chucked out?? If this third try fails, I'll be out.

tester12

I this is a IMEI whitelist issue, the service people have to put in my Phone's IMEI in their network to unlock the network, do you know how can I make them do it.

tester12

IMS registration status says "Not Registered".

@tester12 wrote:

My phone only uses 4G basic and no 5G or no 4G+ despite my phone supporting it back in India and me buying a 5G compatible plan here.

This is not surprising.  The Samsung S20FE 5G has 5G capable hardware and gets 5G on many carrier brands in Canada but not with Public Mobile.  They key feature to focus on is VoLTE which is important for best voice call performance.  Dial *#*#4636#*#* to bring up a hidden menu and look up the IMS service status.  VoLTE status is reported there.  

tester12

My phone only uses 4G basic and no 5G or no 4G+ despite my phone supporting it back in India and me buying a 5G compatible plan here.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@tester12 , what specifically is your problem with data?  Are you not getting the phone to work at all or not working on 4G and 5G only?  Note that 5G connectivity is subject to a whitelist where some Samsung devices are 5G capable but not able to connect to 5G on this service.  

Need Help? Let's chat.