cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My data disappeared? (Going through it really quickly)

DaveInYYC
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My phone has been using up a ton of data as of late. Last night close to bed time I got a 75% warning. When I woke up, it was at 95%.

What could be causing this? (iPhone 7)

I know the Cellular page shows total usage of certain apps, but is there anything to look at usage in the last week/etc.?

Thanks in advance!

7 REPLIES 7

DaveInYYC
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

This is a great tool! Thank you.

shskr
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Try turning on system updates on wifi only. Another thing is what someone suggested turn off data at night. I simply turn the phone off at night because I need my beauty sleep. 🙂

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

The data could have been used by anything.  The biggest things are probably system updates and app uodates.  On high speed connections, data can go very quick.

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

How many gigs do you have included in your plan/add on?

The high usage is going to be something specific to your phone settings and likely a rogue app as you alluded to, so you need to dig into the data usage settings to see what's hogging the data. I've been dinged by email accounts/contacts/calendars synchronizing too aggressively, so consider reducing sync times.

Another thing to check is the app store settings. Do they auto-update apps whether on wifi or mobile? If yes to mobile/data, that'll use up a lot.

That's about all you can check. Not familiar with iPhone settings, but consider turning off your data over night to conserve. Feel free to provide more info that is specific to the phone or check out the ideas I posted above and let us know. We'll try to help. Good luck!

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@DaveInYYC wrote:

My phone has been using up a ton of data as of late. Last night close to bed time I got a 75% warning. When I woke up, it was at 95%.

I know the Cellular page shows total usage of certain apps, but is there anything to look at usage in the last week/etc.?

Thanks in advance!

If you are talking about it disappearing in self serve- when the data isn't showing on the OVERVIEW Page (when you first sign into self-serve), then it has been used up for your current cycle. Conventional thinking would suggest that the system display the data still showing 100% consumption. Unfortunately, the self serve is programmed to remove reference to data when it is all used up.  If you don't see the data list in your plan details (I believe it's the Plans & Add-ons page), then you have an account issue and will need to contact the moderator team for assistance.

As for high data usage how much do you have? Netflix uses 1gb per hour and if you put it in HD it uses 1gb in 20 minutes. 1 game update can use up your entire data plan. In terms of “content” 1GB is almost 0 these days. Where my internet is unlimited, I typically use between 1000gb and 4500gb monthly.

Check out this link, you should already have a detailed data monitor built in

https://9to5mac.com/2013/09/25/ios-7-how-to-monitor-track-your-cellular-data-usage/

If you don't have a built in monitor you can download one at the app store

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@DaveInYYC wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Is Wifi Assist turned on in your settings?  This can be a big data user for iPhones

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

You probably have an an app  or mb wifi assist. 

Try installing mydatamanager that I think will show a breakdown of app usage. 

Need Help? Let's chat.