cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walmart Wireless Experience - Morningside Scarborough Supercentre and Ajax Store

citation
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I got my wife a new phone so I went to Walmart in Ajax, ON to get her a new SIM. The employee at the wireless desk was very helpful. Sold me a SIM and I was on my way.

My mom wanted to port her # to Public so I went to the Walmart Morningside Scarborough Supercentre to get another SIM. There was no one at the Walmart Wireless desk. After two pages and almost 30 minutes of waiting, a guy walked out and told me that he's "not allowed" to sell me a SIM without activating. I said I got one the day before in Ajax so I know that's not true. He said, my manager told me not to do it, I'll get in trouble.

I went to the store manager to complain about the wait and not being served and he said that Walmart Wireless is a third-party and he has no knowledge of what their policies are, so he assumes that they are not allowed to sell me a SIM. You'd think that with Walmart in their name there would be some kind of accountability with the store itself.

OK, next day, my mom still needs a SIM so I head back to Ajax. There's a different guy there. I ask him for a SIM and he says, "oh you're that guy who tried to buy a SIM without a plan! My manager is really pissed off. The guy who sold you a SIM is new and didn't know the policy. You got him in big trouble." But never fear, he's happy to sell me a SIM... if I activate there. I say, my mom's not here, her phone's not here, I don't have her IMEI so you can't do the port. He says, no no it's fine. I can port without her IMEI. I say, no you can't. Please sell me a SIM. I'm leaving on vacation and my mom's plan is about to run out. She really wants to be set up on Public before I go. He says, go to Telus or Koodo, they have SIMs.

NARRATOR: they don't have Public SIMs.

Moral of the story: go to PC Mobile Shop. No hassle, no runaround, friendly staff.

11 REPLIES 11

Write a private message to her @newbie0121 here...https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437 and give her details..

newbie0121
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@Mary_M just experienced this in Richmond Walmart on 9251 Alderbridge Way, Richmond, BC

Murco
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I just tell my friends and family to purchase there sims from London Drugs.  Better customer service anyway.  It would be nice it PM could get this Walmart problem sorted out.

Obviously, I don't have details on the Public Mobile/Walmart arrangement, but it sounds to me as if Public Mobile is going to have to make it more worthwhile to sell the sim on it's on, whether it's by offering a few dollars of "commission", or by providing the sim cards for free to the retailer and letting them still sell at $10.

@slash407 wrote:

@Alex888 wrote:
It seems like ONLY Walmart is a hassle, uninformed staff and inconsistent policies.

they arent uninformed....they are purposely diverting the sales of prepaid PM to a more profitable postpaid transaction. Maybe the frontline sales rep doesnt know this and is stupid enough to believe that they really dont sell them like that... but i assure u the manager does.

@slash407, how is not selling just a sim card but selling it with activation diverting sales to a postpaid transaction?  They are still selling the PM sims with activation, so they aren't saying no we won't sell you this but if you go postpaid we can help you.. 

To bad there wasn't a way for PM to penalize them for not selling just the sims but I am sure PM is happy with the growth from being able to have people activate in Walmart.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Walmart in Huntsville will not sell PM SIMs. I also tried to get a Koodo prepaid SIM from Walmart (They are on sale for $10 and come with $20 credit) but, no sale without activation on that as well.

sa7375
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@citation

Thank you for sharing your experience. Rest assured you aren't the first nor the last. 

PM will need to sort and settle this anomaly at the corporate level. The first experience of a prospective customer should never be so disappointing. 

Lieux
Oracle
Oracle

I am so sorry for you @citation...I have eard this story before..even I tried saturday to buy 2 sim cards at walmart...but same answer NO... Nothing that we can do..but you can shre your story to the moderator here...

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

They especially ( @Mary_M) notes every story like yours...and like mine..I don't know if something will be done.....For me I went to Wow mobile and everything was perfect..Smiley Frustrated

Alex888
Mayor / Maire
It seems like ONLY Walmart is a hassle, uninformed staff and inconsistent policies.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Mary_M another Walmart. 

@Alan_K, please be that the special announcement coming soon is axing Walmart from your retailer list. 

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@citation wrote:

I got my wife a new phone so I went to Walmart in Ajax, ON to get her a new SIM. The employee at the wireless desk was very helpful. Sold me a SIM and I was on my way.

My mom wanted to port her # to Public so I went to the Walmart Morningside Scarborough Supercentre to get another SIM. There was no one at the Walmart Wireless desk. After two pages and almost 30 minutes of waiting, a guy walked out and told me that he's "not allowed" to sell me a SIM without activating. I said I got one the day before in Ajax so I know that's not true. He said, my manager told me not to do it, I'll get in trouble.

I went to the store manager to complain about the wait and not being served and he said that Walmart Wireless is a third-party and he has no knowledge of what their policies are, so he assumes that they are not allowed to sell me a SIM. You'd think that with Walmart in their name there would be some kind of accountability with the store itself.

OK, next day, my mom still needs a SIM so I head back to Ajax. There's a different guy there. I ask him for a SIM and he says, "oh you're that guy who tried to buy a SIM without a plan! My manager is really pissed off. The guy who sold you a SIM is new and didn't know the policy. You got him in big trouble." But never fear, he's happy to sell me a SIM... if I activate there. I say, my mom's not here, her phone's not here, I don't have her IMEI so you can't do the port. He says, no no it's fine. I can port without her IMEI. I say, no you can't. Please sell me a SIM. I'm leaving on vacation and my mom's plan is about to run out. She really wants to be set up on Public before I go. He says, go to Telus or Koodo, they have SIMs.

NARRATOR: they don't have Public SIMs.

Moral of the story: go to PC Mobile Shop. No hassle, no runaround, friendly staff.

@citationThis is not supposed to happen. Please send the info Mary (public mobile official moderator) is requesting below in a private message

@Mary_MAnother one here, walmart refusing to sell sim without activation.

@Mary_M wrote:

thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience at a Wal-Mart location recently. I'm really sorry to hear that you weren't able to simply purchase a SIM card. As we have emphasized before, this is not true - you are totally allowed to buy a sim card without having to activate it in store. 

Over the last few weeks, we have been collecting feedback in regards to these specific Wal-Mart locations - would you be able to share more information? Such as the exact location, employees name, time, etc. Would you be able to send me this via private message?

I look forward to your reply 🙂

Mary 

Need Help? Let's chat.