cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My 4gb data ran out in 1 month when I only surf facebook. That's ridiculous

victortruong92
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I was a freedom mobile user before. And I had 2 gb data per month. It is the redundant amount of data for me sometimes since I only use the data to surf my facebook in my free time. My friend told me that the public mobile is a better and cheaper choice. Also when register by using my friend code. I can get extra 1 gb. I registered and got my sim card, phone setup and everything. I paid for 3 months to get the discount. So I had 1 gb per month, plus the 1 extra gb from the promotion. The first month I used, as my habit that I only use data for facebook surfing, no youtube, no movie, and all the data was sucked ridiculous. The 1 gb ran out, then publicmobile didn't stop their user, they let their users use up the data for the next two months. And now I end up having no data for the next 2 months. Since I paid for 3 months. No internet for next 2 months and I can't cancel, can't switch to any other company or anything. I got trapped by publicmobile system for the data user, and I'm stucked with them and can't do anything. Poor me, If anyone could give me the solution to get out of this horrible situation, I will truly appreciate your help.

14 REPLIES 14

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@crtowns  another reason many people are on 90 day plans is they are on grandfathered plans or on promo plans.    before the last set of plan changes there was a bigger price difference betweeen 30 and 90 day plans and  4gb/30 day promo plans were always  90 days terms.

AlexOfAnders
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I'm still in the middle of my first 90 day cycle but your explanation, @srlawren, outlines really well what appealed to me.

crtowns

Great explanation! Thank you!

I think I will do 90 day because I tend to watch my data closely but may put my wife on 30 days so she doesn't have to worry too much if she runs out it won't be long and it will reset. 

srlawren

@crtowns well, either the 30 or 90 day plans are "non-standard".  AFAIK, every other provider in Canada uses a monthly model, meaning your cycle is either 28, 29, 30, or 31 days long, depending on the month and year, and your billing date stays the same from month to month.  By contrast, Public Mobile uses a 30 or 90 day cycle, meaning every time it's exactly 30 or 90 days, and your billing/renewal date changes from month to month (except following a month with exactly 30 days but that's by coincidence rather than by design).

Back to your original question of 90 vs 30 days.  Yes, the 90 day plans are only a little cheaper than 3 x the cost of the equivalent 30 day plans.  For example, moving from the 90 day, province-wide talk, global text, 1.5GB plan to the 30 day, province-wide, global text, 500MB plan (the equivalent) would cost you an extra $2 per 30 days, which works out to 6.7c per day, or $24.33 per year extra.  This isn't a ton of extra money, so if the 30 day plans give you more comfort or flexibility, then by all means you can choose those instead.  For anyone that's confident in their plan choice and doesn't mind getting an extra 6 or so lattes from Starbucks every year rather than giving that money to Telus can go with the 90 day plans.

The other factor in play is that the 90 days plans give you more *flexibility* with how you use the data amount.  So if you're comparing a 30 day 500MB plan vs a 90 day 1.5GB plan, the total amount of data over the course of 90 days is the same, 1.5GB, and their is no rollover of plan data on any plan length.  However, you can effectivley *simulate* rollover for the approx 3 months of the 90 day plan because you could use a nice even 500MB each of the 30 days, you could use a gig the first week and dole out the remaining 500MB over the course of the remaining 83 days, you could be miserly up front and use it sparingly and have a bunch to use up in your last couple of weeks (use it or lose it!), and so on.  

You can probably see that this is a double-edged sword.  If you are the type to keep aware, regularly check your usage and what remains in your cycle, and appreciates that flexibility, the 90 day plans will likely appeal to you.  However, the other edge is that if you're not somewhat careful/aware, you could easily burn through a bunch (or even all) of your 90 day's worth of data within the first 30 days (or 46 days, or 12 days, or 71 days, etc etc), leaving you short for the rest of the 90 days.  If you fall into that latter category, you would be better off using a 30 day plan to keep that window as small as possible.  

One last possible benefit to the longer cycles if if you don't use AutoPay and need to either remember to make a manual payment or even more so if you need to go to a store to buy a voucher for the payment.  With a 90 day plan, you're only going need to make about 4 payments per calendar year instead of 12.  Those payments will be larger payments, but less frequent, so you don't have to worry about them as often.  Again on the flip side of that is that if you have a harder time bugetting for the renewal that's further away and a larger lump sum, then stick with the 30 day plans for a more regular schedule.

Hopefully that all made sense?  I may not have explained it well.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

crtowns

Hi. It sounds like this whole 90 day plan can cause issues with the data for people. Does anyone have a sense of what percentage of customers are doing 30 day vs 90 day plans? I believe it only saves a couple bucks a month to do a 90 day plan right?

AlexOfAnders

@will13am wrote:

@victortruong92, sorry I unfortunately have no sympathy.  There's such a thing as self responsibility.  It's evident to me that you underestimated your typical data usage.  90 day plans are not 3 x 30 day plans.  Any metered usage covers the entire period.  As a short term measure, you can early renew your plan and have data again.  In the long run, either habits need to change or a larger data plan is required.  

This sounds like the case, I know I monitor my data usage in the settings on my android phone so I was pretty aware of my usage going in. Facebook can use a surprising amount of data, especially if you have the autoplaying video, and it sounds like @victortruong92 might not have been aware of the difference between Freedom Mobile and other providers. It may be redundant in this conversation but I didn't see it pointed out explicitly that FM plans never "run out of data" they go from 4G/LTE to 3G when the data with your plan runs out without any extra charges. PM your data runs out and you have no more until you add more or your plan refreshes, most other providers you get charged an arm and a leg for ever additional 100MB or so.

It sounds like maybe PM isn't the right option for them or they underpurchased their initial plan as the rest of you suggested.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@victortruong92, sorry I unfortunately have no sympathy.  There's such a thing as self responsibility.  It's evident to me that you underestimated your typical data usage.  90 day plans are not 3 x 30 day plans.  Any metered usage covers the entire period.  As a short term measure, you can early renew your plan and have data again.  In the long run, either habits need to change or a larger data plan is required.  

mimmo

@victortruong92  instead of buying a data addon you could look at renewing your plan early.  it is probaby cheaper /gb than buying 1gb addons for $30 each.  my data manager (android and apple) or my data witness  pm are both great apps that track 90 day periods allnd will tel you your daily limit.

I would also look into what used your data usage history to see what actually used your data.

you coud aso look a restricting background apps and turning off wifi assist (apple) etc..  

Mana
Mayor / Maire

Comparing FM data to PM is like comparing apples with oranges. 

FM data does not work most of the time and when it does it's very slow. As a result, please just get annoyed and don't end up using the data that much. 

On the other hand PM data is full speed data and it's a enjoyable to use. As a result, people tend to surf more and use more data. 

srlawren

@victortruong92 how to find the private message from the moderator team and reply to it: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Private-Messages-viewing-and-creating/...  [EDIT: I meant to give you this link instead, though both provide similar info: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Private-Messages-viewing-and-creating...]

Also, how to tell what apps/services are using up your data:  on an iPhone, or on an Android phone.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Hi,

For security and privacy purposes, please do not post your private information here, as this is a public forum. 🙂

Thank you!

Gregory

victortruong92
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Name:**************

Email : ******************

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hi victortruong92,

I just sent a private message to you, could you reply to me in private also?

Thank you!

Gregory

Anonymous
Not applicable

@victortruong92,  The data available on 90 day plans is for the entire 90 day period.  You are not restricted to using one-third each month.

I believe you can buy a data add-on to use for the rest of your 90 period.  After that, you can re-evaluate your needs.

Need Help? Let's chat.