cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving from BC to Alberta

nice1234guy
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am using the $120 for 3 month plan.  My plan has unlimited Provincial call, and it will not work after I move to Calgary in 3 weeks.  Can I have a new local number there but keeping my current plan?

9 REPLIES 9

shiven23
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

yes, you can keep it i also moved from Ontario i am still using the same number and plan.

@AE_Collector 

A mobile plan with unlimited Canada-wide Talk costs the same or less as a landline plan. Even if you refuse to use the mobile functions and just bolt your cellphone to the wall. You can even buy phones of this sort in case newfangled smartphones ain't your thing (and you can even take them wherever you go, as long as you can plug them into an electrical outlet).

So I'm of the opinion that any people, businesses, or building owners/strata/managers who make the landline choice instead of the mobile choice have indeed "decided whether to proceed or not" but their poor decisions aren't something I need to worry about.

If their calls are important (to them) then they will find a way to make those calls. They probably have access to cellphones, if not in their own pocket then in one belonging to somebody close. They'll even use the modern wonders of voicemail and email and text msging if they must. If they don't make the effort then obviously it's not important.

If their communication choices aren't meeting their communication needs then they need to change or fix something on their end, not on yours.

@Korth 

All true about people doing what they have to do considering the phone system and plan they are using. If someone wants to call a person and it is a long distance call they decide whether to proceed or not. But many or most landlines still have much smaller toll free calling radius than many cell plans. So there certainly WILL be instances where the person does not receive a call that they would like to have received if they have made calling them a long distance call even from the house across the street.

There are other possible glitches to overcome as well such as the “Building Enterphone wont call my Cell Phone as it is a Long Distance call” problem we have seen on the community quite often.

AE_Collector

It might be time to look at Public Mobile's plans again. They don't offer any 90-day options any more, only 30-day - and they don't offer any 4G/LTE options anymore, only "3G" - but it's likely they otherwise offer plans better (or cheaper) than the old 90-day $120.

Long-distance calling from AB to BC or from BC to AB would only apply to callers with Province-wide calling. All of PM's plans are now Canada-wide calling. Most carriers (other than Freedom) basically offer only Canada-wide calling option these days. Province-wide limits have become legacy plan stuff.

Preface your numnbers with "1" when you dial out on any Canada-wide plan. Buy the $5/500 minute Canada-wide Talk add-on (that's $0.01 per minute) if you insist on sticking with your old plan.

Don't worry too much about incoming calls being long-distance. They can upgrade their old plans or pay something like $0.01 per minute, too, and they can add "1" to outgoing calls, whether they use at PM or not. If they haven't already. Dinosaurs who just can't or won't move beyond province-wide plan limits it are probably going to have to figure out how to make their out-of-province calls (to you and to the rest of Canada) sooner or later - strangers stuck within local calling limits are not your problem, friends and family stuck within local calling limits can be PM referrals.

There's also options like hangouts or fongo or skype. Or even text msgs. Sometimes they can fully replace actual calls, sometimes they can be used to tell one person with unlimited Canada-wide calling to phone the other.

@nice1234guy 

You can sign up for a free service like freephoneline.ca or textnow  to get a BC number local to your BC callers that forwards to your new alberta number, or rings a separate app on your phone.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@nice1234guy wrote:

I am using the $120 for 3 month plan.  My plan has unlimited Provincial call, and it will not work after I move to Calgary in 3 weeks.  Can I have a new local number there but keeping my current plan?

A little benefit of changing to an AB area code would be that you would only pay 5% GST, not 12% total.

Then callers from elsewhere would need their own calling plans to call you rather than local.

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

@nice1234guy You can still keep the old number if you want but people calling you could pay long distance. It doesn't stop working because you moved.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

👆👆👆😂

@nice1234guy  another idea would be to change to one of the current plans that offer nationwide

take note that you will lose this plan and full LTE speed as they are no longer offering it and whatever remaining months on your 90 day term. 

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@nice1234guy wrote:

Yes you can.  Log into your self serve and you can change your phone number there. 

ShawnC13_0-1596780667506.png

When you move you will still be able to call all numbers in Alberta without long distance but to call BC you will need to call long distance and any landline in Alberta would need to call you long distance but your number would still work

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.