cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Provinces

JasonTwe
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am moving to Alberta from Ontario can I keep my number the same and have the provincial taxes revised on my billing? If this is possible advise on how to do so thanks. 

8 REPLIES 8

Incoming callers will have to dial 1 or +1 in front of the xxx-xxx-xxxx number. It might be easier for them if you call them first so they can add your number with the necessary dialing prefix automatically included.

If they have Canada-wide calling then it's a non-issue. If they have Province-wide calling outside Ontario then they'll have to pay long distance rates to make the call - even if they're calling from Alberta, even if your two phones are in the same building.

I think it's fair to say (almost) everybody in Canada has Canada-wide calling these days. It's automatically included as the baseline in all the plans from all the operators these days, mobile and landline. There's always a chance that an incoming caller has a legacy plan or whatever which will charge long distance rates for the calls - I wouldn't worry about it since you can call them, text and email exist, and anyone who thinks their call to you is important will find other ways to contact you or will leave a message.

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

Please remember, anyone calling you wherever you are in Canada will be King the cost of long-distance to contact you on your ONTARIO phone number, if they don’t have a Canadawide or larger calling area at no extra cost on their plans.  If you are on a provincewide plan, you can call any number in the province or territory that you are currently in with your ONTARIO phone number at no cost. You cannot call back to ONTARIO from outside of ONTARIO..  if you are on a Canadawide calling plan, then you are funny, but you may wish to think about employer, neighbors, friends that you meet.

@softech wrote:

HI @JasonTwe 

tax is based on the province of the phone number, not where you are. So, if you keep your Ontario, number, it will get charged with Ontario rate.  

Workaround?  buy vouchers from stores, store will charge you AB tax and this is how you can save the tax $$

This is a good idea to save tax.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

HI @JasonTwe 

tax is based on the province of the phone number, not where you are. So, if you keep your Ontario, number, it will get charged with Ontario rate.  

Workaround?  buy vouchers from stores, store will charge you AB tax and this is how you can save the tax $$

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @JasonTwe

you can keep your number, but PM will charged you the same tax, they charged by the province of the phone number's area code

Why don't you change to an Alberta number?

pmva
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@JasonTwe just to clarify, you can keep the number but not have taxes removed by moving to AB.

XionBunny
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Yup, there are no issues keeping your number between moves, other than callers having to pay long distance that call you in Ontario, Usually, people don't bother asking to have taxes revised, do follow the above poster's advice though, if you really wish though it's not mandatory.

Edited for further thoughts and clarity.

pmva
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Usually not.  PM will bill based on the location of the phone number.  If you want to validate you can contact the CS Agent @ PM and they can confirm.

You can contact an agent using the chatbot.  Type "agent" and click contact us to go through the wizard.

https://widget.telus.tiia.ai/publicmobile/publicmobile.html

If for some reason they don't respond to the ticket, you can try to send an email directly to the CS Agent here.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Here is a help article about how to contact the CS Agent.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/contact-an-agent

Need Help? Let's chat.