cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile network issue

mparahoo3
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello I need help as I no longer have any signal at home. When I try dialing it say no mobile networks available. We have 2 phones and had a mobile network, however as of yesterday Sept 25 we no longer have any signal at our address postal e3n4z9 which on the coverage map shows we should have signal. If anyone knows what's going on please help. 

12 REPLIES 12

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@mparahoo3 

Did customer support help answer your question?

Does your mobile data work? Texts? Or is the issue solely with voice calls? Public Mobile uses the 3G network for voice calls. Specifically B2 (1900Mhz) and B5 (850Mhz) for its voice services. There is little or no towers in your area with B2 but nearly all have B5. If you are connecting in town (Campbellton?) then you are connecting to Bell towers so they issue seems to be stemming from Telus network connection  with B5. That is if the issue is only affecting your voice services. 

You can check your 3G network signal strength in your phone by going into your settings and choosing 3G only. Then go to About phone>>Sim card status>>Signal strength>> -50dBm to -95dBm you are fine. -96dBm to -109dBm could be iffy. -110dBm and below is essentially unusable. 

I do find it strange that you cannot connect to any of your local Telus towers although it could be that you are normally connected to your closest Tower and the others are just a little bit out of range for you which is why you can connect not far from your home or you are connecting to the bell tower out near your place because it has B2 and there's a major issues all of a sudden with B5 on the telus towers.

Hopefully this is just caused by network equipment upgrades to your local tower which usually are completed within 2 weeks. Alternatively maybe telus has chosen to use your local cell tower that you connect to at home for the 5G network and have decided to decommission the 3G network on it as it would affect the least amount of customers?

Telus is working on enabling volte for public mobile customers at some time in the future with no definitive date but both the end of September and the end of 2022 have been tossed around as possible dates you do need a workaround until that occurs.

In the long term if it's going to be more than a few weeks or a couple of months and will drag out past December 2022 you would want to look into getting a signal booster. A decent one that would likely solve your issue can be bought on Amazon for around $100 to $200. If you go that route come back here to ask for suggestions.

In the short term you can download a

voIP provider app like TextNow or Fongo. Choose a Canadian number. When you go into town or once you're able to connect to a stable 3G network signal call forward your public mobile phone number using the busy/declined and unreachable options to your the voIP phone number.

Now incoming calling when it cannot connect to public mobile instead of going to voicemail it will ring through to your voIP app phone number while on Wi-Fi or mobile data. You'll be able to use your voIP number to call out as well. If you start to get your phone calls ringing through to your public mobile service again at home you'll know that it was just temporary equipment upgrades etc... on your local tower and you can cancel the call forwarding on your phone.

You can check your local cell tower bands here....

https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html?lat=47.938001&lng=-66.868692&zoom=11&type=Road...

JL9
Mayor / Maire

It may be a sim issue, is there another phone you can swap the sim into to test it and rule that out?

Bunny48

This started yesterday and have had service with no issues for at least 4 years now.

@Bunny48 - when did this start? And how long have you had services without issues prior to this?

Check if your phone is blacklisted here: https://www.devicecheck.ca/check-status-device-canada/

Bunny48

Hi  am having the same issue but it is everywhere I go. My phone says unregistered sim and wont connect to the network. I am located in Edmonton Ab Canada.

mparahoo3

I did submit a ticket just waiting to hear from them. Thanks for your help

@mparahoo3   it could be a network tower issue.  

Try to change the preferred network to 3G Only to see if it can pick up the 3G.  Although I suspect it might not

I think it is still good to open a ticket with PM for them to check if there is confirmed issued with the network tower near you.

1. If you have access to My account: At https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot.

Start by typing "Submit a ticket", then click "Contact Us", Then click "Other", then click "Click here to submit a ticket ↗" 

2. If you don't have access to My Account or have trouble with Chatbot: Private message CS Agent at: 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

**Monitor your Community inbox (envelope icon on the top right) after the ticket is opened.  CS Agent will reply you there

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@mparahoo3 - i forgot to include this in my last post. Check for outages in your area:

https://www.telus.com/en/on/outages

Since this only started yesterday, and it is only localized in that area, I suspect it is a down or bad network. Hopefully, this is up and running soon. Do other people in your area have issues either public mobile or other providers?

mparahoo3

No signal in my home area since yesterday. However there is signal 10 minutes away...strange 

mparahoo3

Hi thanks for responding I tried all three of those suggestions already. My phone works in town it just does not at my home address anymore, the same with my wife's phone. She has LG I have Samsung. 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

There were outages reported in that area yesterday, Sept. 24th @mparahoo3 , but you just started having issues today? Perhaps remnants of the outage?

Try:

• restarting your phone
  • toggle into and out of airplane mode
  • perform a Reset of the device's Network Settings

jor123
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Is there only no signal at your home or the whole area? 

Need Help? Let's chat.