cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile data stopped working

wprager
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My daughter's phone. For many months could not get data to work. Apparently initial setting of APN was a bit off, finally resolved by deleting the APN and re-entering everything again.  So she had data for a while (1G prepaid plan).  Then suddenly, a few weeks ago, I think, she could no longer access mobile data.  She gets an "Internal server error" when trying to login to the network (I assume this is login in to the APN).  Tried powering down the phone, played with some settings, all to no avail.  Tried resetting network settings to default (which removes PM APN) and re-configuring the APN, but still no-go.  Phone has mobile connection (either 3G or 4G) but no internet access.

16 REPLIES 16

wprager

No, I have not logged in to her account, just mine.  The "500MB + 500MB" is displayed when I click on "details" under "My plan".  All 4 accounts should be the same but I have not seen what my daughter's says (she's out of town at university and busy with exam prep).  When calling 611 it told me how much data I had left, in her case it just said "You have no data add-ons".  But the data is part of the plan, is it not?  Or is that term used loosely?

@wprager wrote:

OK, getting somewhere.  It says she doesn't have a data add-on, which is weird, because I got the exact same plans for myself, my wife and my two daughters.  The details (my plan) say "500MB + 500MB at 3G Speed" so all 4 numbers should be on the same plan. What's going on?

HI @wprager 

you meant when you login to her "My Account", you don't see the line 500MB + 500MB at 3G Speed?  That means she used the 1GB data for this cycle already.  When the data are all used up, the line will be gone.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

You need to log in to each account and check for that line. If the line is not there then the data has been used for that account. Or use 611 on the phone. Or use 1-855-4pu-blic from any phone and enter the number. And then 3 and then the 4 digit account pin to get the data remaining number if any.

wprager

OK, getting somewhere.  It says she doesn't have a data add-on, which is weird, because I got the exact same plans for myself, my wife and my two daughters.  The details (my plan) say "500MB + 500MB at 3G Speed" so all 4 numbers should be on the same plan. What's going on?

@wprager wrote:

I just found out I have 3.5GB left -- and I thought I only had 2GB with my plan.  There was some promo back around Christmas time but I thought that was just a one-month thing.  

HI @wprager   The promo  was a one time thing.  It was a 2GB free data, but there is no expiration until used up  PM will only start using it when you are done with the data on your current cycle.  Unused portion will then roll over to the following month until all used up

PM has been giving out the free data for the last 3 years, so maybe they will keep doing it every December

wprager

That's great to know (although even the 611 method requires the PIN -- not sure if I'd set one up for my daughter or is she has done it since then).  I just found out I have 3.5GB left -- and I thought I only had 2GB with my plan.  There was some promo back around Christmas time but I thought that was just a one-month thing.  

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

If you know the 4 digit account pin then you can dial 1-855-4pu-blic and enter the phone number and then press 3 for usage and then the 4 digit pin. It will say what all data is available. Or use 611 on the phone and not need the phone number.

@wprager wrote:

The phone is a Umidigi A9 Pro, but since she had data working for a period of time I think that rules out issues with the phone itself.  Her data usage shows 10MB used (I think the reset date is the 26th but don't quote me on that).  I've asked her to set up her self-serve account and check data availability -- waiting on that. I'll also get her to try the SIM card in another phone.  Thanks for the suggestions.  Keep 'em coming.

@wprager, I did quote you on the data reset date lol, more to the point that it is very rarely the same day each month.  PM is a 30 day plan not monthly so your renewal date will be changing dates except for months that have 30 days.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

JL9
Mayor / Maire

Keep us updated, it very well may be the device. If you can put the sim in a new device and data works it will reveal that pretty quickly 

wprager

Other features (voice, text, wifi) all work fine.  Also sending MMS (while on wifi) still works (mobile data has to be turned on for this to work which always made me wonder if it uses data or not -- apparently not).

wprager

Thanks, HALIMACS, that's one of the next steps.

Log in to your account / My Data and Add-ons to see if you have any data left. If you see none...you're outta data until next renewal or you buy a data add-on.

edit...punctuation

@wprager 

Look here on the self-serve account associated with the service for the most accurate source of information related to data allotment remaining:

HALIMACS_0-1650378243800.png

wprager

The phone is a Umidigi A9 Pro, but since she had data working for a period of time I think that rules out issues with the phone itself.  Her data usage shows 10MB used (I think the reset date is the 26th but don't quote me on that).  I've asked her to set up her self-serve account and check data availability -- waiting on that. I'll also get her to try the SIM card in another phone.  Thanks for the suggestions.  Keep 'em coming.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@wprager  - if she is still showing data left under her overview section on her self serve account, can you try her SIM card into another compatible device? This will rule out a network/account issue if the data works in another phone.

Then, you need to figure out the issue with her phone.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

What kinda phone is she using ? Do other PM features work (talk/text) ?

Need Help? Let's chat.