cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile Hotspot Not Working

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

Any idea why my hotspot isn't working on my Pixel 6a? It's always worked in the past, right up until last month. The only thing that's changed is I switched from the $39/20GB plan to the $50/40GB Can/US plan. Data on my phone works fine, but when I connect my iPad it says the wifi doesn't have an internet connection.

From what I can see online the APN should be sp.mb.com (which it is for Mobile Internet), but mine is isp.mb.com for Tethered Mobile Internet. And unfortunately the settings are greyed out so I can't change them.

Screenshot_20230818-204329.png

Screenshot_20230818-204338.png

And the 3 dots just have a cancel option, nothing else.

Screenshot_20230818-204341.png

Any ideas?

18 REPLIES 18

@Kiddles 

check the APN, especially APN. type, you need the duns there

Compare the APN settings below, try to update it and save:

APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy:
Port:
Username: <blank>
Password: <blank>
Server:
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMS Proxy: mmscproxy.mobility.ca
MMS Port: 8799
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
Authentication Type: Not Set
APN Type: default,supl,mms
         or    default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipr,dun
           (might need to include dun for hotspot, please note case sensitive)
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
APN enable/disable: APN enabled
                or  Turn APN on/off APN turned on
Bearer: Unspecified
MVNO (Mobile virtual network operator) type: GID
MVNO (Mobile virtual network operator)value: 4D

Kiddles
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Would you have a solution for an android, ulefone p12?

I have the same issue.  Hot spot found but no internet. 

Jamiesgirl
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am unable to edit apn its all blacked out .  I was able to put my Sim card in my tablet and make the changes and it worked but unable to do it in mine and my husband's phone.   I can add a new one bit can't select it .  Any suggestions? 

@MetaMorpheusMob wrote:

@softech 

Why didn't the APNs populate themselves?

@MetaMorpheusMob surpossingly it should populate itself, and in most cases they work well

APN node structure consists of network id/mcc/mnc are all stored on the sim card and the device will pull it off from the sim card.  But it is a known issue many phones designed for Asian and European markets were unable to populate the APN properly without some level of manual work.  Umidigi is one of the more popular Asian brands and you see many with the same issue

SlickToxic
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

What is making the difference with these apns? Caused by the plan change for US data?

Works in Canada for any Public custmr?

SlickToxic
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

An iPhone user that assists not pumping bravado

No iPhone for me (other than my work phone I'm stuck with), but I could go for a RAZR or a Startac!

@DennyCrane wrote:

Thank you @LitlLdy and @softech that worked! Adding a new APN profile with the settings noted did the trick. Much appreciated 🙏

@DennyCrane , 👏🏻 I had to do that with one of my phones before but didn’t remember the + sign!

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

Thank you @LitlLdy and @softech that worked! Adding a new APN profile with the settings noted did the trick. Much appreciated 🙏

@DennyCrane wrote:

@LitlLdy Not dumb at all! What's dumb is that I missed that! I was able to create a new APN profile. I'll go test it in a few minutes to see if I did it right. Thank you!

@DennyCrane , sitting here crossing my fingers, eyes, toes, arms, legs, & holding my breathe! 🙏🏼 it works!

@LitlLdy Not dumb at all! What's dumb is that I missed that! I was able to create a new APN profile. I'll go test it in a few minutes to see if I did it right. Thank you!

@MetaMorpheusMob LOL she's busy on TikTok 😂

LitlLdy
Mayor / Maire

@DennyCrane , I have a dumb question, what does clicking on the + symbol do? Will it allow you to create a new APN then use @softech suggestion there?

Select New APN 

@Chalupa_Batman I've used android hotspot for years and never had an issue. I always just turned it on and I was off to the races. But now that I've changed to the Can/US plan I'm having issues. 

Thank you @softech 

Unfortunately all the APN settings are greyed out and don't appear to be editable. I'm accessing them from within network settings-->sim cards-->public Mobile>APN

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

This is why I'm not a fan of Android. With iPhone, you click on Hotspot and pick one. Easy as pie. Android needs to start making life easier for their users.

Hope @softech suggestion works for you.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@DennyCrane 

try this , especially the line about DUN

APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy:
Port:
Username: <blank>
Password: <blank>
Server:
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMS Proxy: mmscproxy.mobility.ca
MMS Port: 8799
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
Authentication Type: Not Set
APN Type: default,supl,mms
         or    default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri
           (might need to include DUN for hotspot, please note case sensitive)
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
APN enable/disable: APN enabled
                or  Turn APN on/off APN turned on
Bearer: Unspecified
MVNO (Mobile virtual network operator) type: GID
MVNO (Mobile virtual network operator)value: 4D

Need Help? Let's chat.