cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing data

Royer38
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have a data tracker on my phone and from March 1st until today I have only used 366mb.  I received a text that I used 95% of my 1GB of data on March 8th and today it says I have used the full 1GB which I haven't.  If I ever get close to using 1GB it tends to happen at the very end of the month.  This month I have been using my phone very little since I have been home.  I need the data I paid for added back to my account for the remainder of this billing period.

18 REPLIES 18

@bethreckling 

Strange you usually won't get that message til you have almost used all the data on your account. What does the counter on your bonus add on data say? Maybe pm fixed this....

bethreckling

I may be having a similar issue.  The warning came up after almost using up my 1G of plan data but have not yet used the 1G additional bonus data.  I've added up all usage listed on pubic "my account" and I have definitely not yet used the 2G total (1G included with the plan & 1G bonus that was registered on March 3rd in the payment/billing section).  Were you able to access the data that you were missing?

@Royer38 

Be mindful that your data counter resets at midnite eastern. I like to check my account immediately before and after renewal (and take screenshots) to make sure eveything is order. If it isn't immediate  action can be taken to have any errors corrected. Hopefully now you will be able to monitor your plan features effectively and have greater control over the management of your services and account.  If you need more help or have more questions the community is always here to assist you.

@Royer38 wrote:

In self service there was no information present.  The text was overlapping, couldn't even be read.  Bit there were no numbers to show MB used.

Hi @Royer38 I just logged in my self serve account and everything is ok.  But yesterday there was a fellow customer saying that his pages were blank.  There are a lot of glitches going on and hopefully PM are trying to fix (but soooo many LOL)

Please log out and try again after an hour.  Before you log back in, delete your browsing history, cache and cookies first.  If necessary use another browser and go incognito.

Please keep us posted.  thanks in advance

RosieR

@Royer38 

Now's the time to reset data counter on your device to ZERO. 

Then you can monitor it in concert with your data cycle with Public Mobile. 

@Royer38  for your overlapping text issue, are you checking it on your phone or on a computer?  What kind of browser you were using?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Royer38 : Then it would seem something ate all your data. That front page counter is known to be accurate.

I haven't seen proof of it for a while now but there had been reports where plan data had not reset properly at renewal. But you'll need to go through all your usage details to identify when and what used your data. You can also find evidence on your phone.

Royer38

I've taken all the steps to monitor and restrict data usage.  The issue was when I logged into self service in the data usage are all the text was overlapping and couldn't be read and there was no numerical MB used.  The data has refreshed now for a new bill cycle.

Royer38

I did have promo data to use so that may have occurred.  When I went into self service the area that displays data usage had a bunch of overlapping text that couldn't be read and no numerical MB used.

Royer38

In self service there was no information present.  The text was overlapping, couldn't even be read.  Bit there were no numbers to show MB used.

Dakotaj1998

I would recommend logging into your self-serve account and checking out your data usage on there. I have received text messages in the past as well that have said I was at 95% of my data but when I logged in it showed I still had plenty left.   

sunflowershine
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Royer38 

Sometimes your data will be used by background apps. Below are the advices from moderator team:

In order for you to have more control over you data usage, we recommend turning off data when is not needed. Also disabling Wi-Fi assist (for iPhone) or Smart network switch (for Android) to avoid the phone connects and jumps automatically from Wi-Fi to data. 

It is also recommended to restrict background data to avoid that applications connect automatically to your data and make small updates as soon as you turn it on.  

You may consider monitoring your data from the setting of your phone if you have an android (settings-data- set data limit – enter your billing cycle- your data allotment so the phones gives you a breakdown per app) .

You may also consider getting a third party application that will give you a breakdown of the usage per app, so you know what application is using your data or if it is the operating system of your phone. 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Royer38 wrote:

I have a data tracker on my phone and from March 1st until today I have only used 366mb.  I received a text that I used 95% of my 1GB of data on March 8th and today it says I have used the full 1GB which I haven't.  If I ever get close to using 1GB it tends to happen at the very end of the month.  This month I have been using my phone very little since I have been home.  I need the data I paid for added back to my account for the remainder of this billing period.

@Royer38 ,

Does your phone data tracker/app have 30 day tracking capability? Since Public Mobile plans are 30 day cycles (not monthly) it is best to have it match your actual dates, as your dates will fluctuate.

If you are an Android user try downloading the Data Witness app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.iwik.datawitnesspm&hl=en_CA&gl=US

I use it and it works great.

If you are Apple, I am sure there is an app that can track data by 30 day cycles as well.

IF, just if, your Community Start date is the same as your Public Mobile Activation Date, and you had no suspended time or early renewals within this time, then your plan renews in 5 days on March 23rd, 2021.

So, are you perhaps going by a Monthly data usage, rather than 30 days?

04-Mar-19
03-Apr-19
03-May-19
02-Jun-19
02-Jul-19
01-Aug-19
31-Aug-19
30-Sep-19
30-Oct-19
29-Nov-19
29-Dec-19
28-Jan-20
27-Feb-20
28-Mar-20
27-Apr-20
27-May-20
26-Jun-20
26-Jul-20
25-Aug-20
24-Sep-20
24-Oct-20
23-Nov-20
23-Dec-20
22-Jan-21
21-Feb-21
23-Mar-21

@Royer38 

If your data tracker is on go in and check each of your apps usage sometimes one can go crazy and start eating your data unbeknownst to you. I would also suggest you set your data warning and limiter so you don't get a nasty surprise. This saved me when my pc optimum app added video and it began to consume crazy amounts of data until I disabled the video in the settings. Make sure you turn off all background data in each app as this can save up to 38% of data usage.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Royer38 

If you feel strongly that you did not consume the allotted data, you could bring it up with the moderators as below.  Otherwise, you have the option to purchase a data add on in your self-serve or by dialling *611, if you have a payment card associated with the account.

To contact a moderator, there are 2 methods:

1. Use the ticketing system for a faster response time. Click here and type moderator assistance, then select account-related issue, then select you need a human now.  Follow the prompts to submit a ticket,  or, 
  2. Send a private message to the moderator by clicking here  You’ll need to be logged into your Community account for the link to work.

Watch for their response in your Community private mailbox which will be indicated by a number on the small envelope icon to the left of your Community avatar.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Check your account under usage history.  Make sure you disable auto updates unless using Wi-Fi.  If use social media like Facebook or Twitter to only get notifications on wifi.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/managing-your-data-usage

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Royer38 

If you happen to have data (which was purchased as an add on or gifted) over and above what is included with your plan's allotment of data, those text messages can get pretty wonky. 

Look at this area of your self serve account to see what line items show for data:

HALIMACS_0-1616106056568.png

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@Royer38 wrote:

It could be an erroneous text. Can you log into self service and look under My Data & Add-Ons and see if your data is listed. Also check Usage History to see if data was used.

Need Help? Let's chat.