Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing 5G Network Option

I_S
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@CS_Agent in our Community

Joined PM yesterday on the 5G 30GB plan

When I go into my iPhone settings -> cellular -> PublicMobileeSIM -> Voice & Data there are only two options, LTE and 3G. I looked on the Public Mobile service map and I am in the 5G area. 

11 REPLIES 11

LitlLdy
Mayor / Maire

@I_S , thanks for updating Us. I wondered if I was correct! I keep mine updated for the security updates that it provides. 

I’m sorry that you’re not happy with the situation 😞 

I_S

I ended up having to update iOS from 16.2 to 16.6 for the 5G to be visible. 

Very poor choice by Public Mobile to not inform people before they switch that they will be forced to update iOS for 5G to work correctly. 

I don't like to update iOS as it frequently breaks older apps. Updated iOS versions usually severally slow down the older phones as they are designed for newer generations and after made to be backwards compatible to older phones. I probably wouldn't have switched to PM if I know it came as the cost of updating the phone OS. 

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and responses.

LitlLdy
Mayor / Maire

@I_S , if none of our suggestions work for you please send a private message to CS_Agent for help. They would have asked you to try the same suggestions 1st so tell them what you have already tried. 

You can send a private message to a CS_Agent using the link: ->   https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Customer Support Agents are available from:

• Monday to Sunday: 9 AM to 10 PM EST

A CS_Agent will respond back in your Community mailbox (envelope icon) at the top right of this page to the left of your community avatar on your computer or by clicking on your avatar on your device.

HI @I_S 

for iPhone, it's always best to update to the latest one

you might need the latest version for the 5G to come as it has something to do with Carrier profile as well.  It could be that your the Carrier profile might not unhide the 5G option with your iOS version

LitlLdy
Mayor / Maire

@I_S wrote:

my iOS is at 16.2 which should be recent enough to support 5G network as it was working with Bell. 

Apple website says all I need is iOS 14.5

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT211828

I_S_0-1693236025691.png

@I_S , I didn’t have it with iOS 14.5! I find it odd that you are not seeing the same as me on your iPhone! Mine is an iPhone 14 Pro with the latest iOS 16.6 & I reset network settings weekly to keep my iPhone network reset & working better. I have my network manually set to Public Mobile not on Automatically.

Either way your missing security updates not updating it!

We can make suggestions on what has worked for some of Us but it is up to you whether or not you want to try our suggestions. CS_Agents will make the same suggestions.

Edit: I don’t know why you had the 5g settings on your iPhone with Bell & not Public Mobile! Sorry 😞 

I_S

my iOS is at 16.2 which should be recent enough to support 5G network as it was working with Bell. 

Apple website says all I need is iOS 14.5

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT211828

I_S_0-1693236025691.png

@I_S wrote:

Yes, I have rebooted the phone several time.

I am using iPhone 12 mini which had 5G on Bell 

HI @I_S 

but what iOS version you have?

LitlLdy
Mayor / Maire

@I_S wrote:

@I_S , if your iPhone software updated to the latest iOS 16.6 ? Mine is & I have 5g On, Auto, 5g, LTE & 3g options. You should see this on your iPhone in the screenshot below once it is.

Also, have you reset your network settings yet?

IMG_0045.jpegIMG_0044.jpeg

I_S

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @I_S 

install the latest iOS first. But once you installed, the 3G option could be gone while the 5G option will comes

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@I_S 

which iPhone are you using ? Have you tried rebooting the phone ?

Need Help? Let's chat.