cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Minutes used

mk9lobo
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

In my 1st month I used 54 minutes but web account showed 87 used.  Why did this happen?

8 REPLIES 8

Maybe @mk9lobo , but try something else.

Add up your incoming calls to the next minute to see if the sum of those PLUS the sum of your outgoing call totals rounded to the next minute is what is displayed in your minute allotment under your Data and Add-on section in Self Serve. 

Just want to make absolutely sure that your minutes are not counting incoming calls in error.  There have been at least a few other users who are claiming some variation of that.

@HALIMACS 

I find the easiest way to see the counted ring time is when calling and it goes to voicemail and you can check your daily usage. Mine is almost consistently 7 seconds ( with the odd 6) when I call and hang up as the last ring finishes and it connects but you don't hear it connect. If you hang up mid ring or earlier it won't connect and "charge" for the call. Thus I try to hang up at the 50 second mark for short calls to avoid the extra minute charge.

mk9lobo

Thnaks to all who relied.  I guess it is the dialing time added that raised the number to 83.  I had already rounded every call to the next minute in my calculations.

rliu1993

Check the details. Pm will round uo all calls.

@computergeek541 wrote:

@HALIMACS wrote:

Great question, @mk9lobo 

Your device may show minutes used as different from Public Mobile.

With Public Mobile, any part of a minute rounds up to the next full minute.   Put another way, if you make 10 separate 6-second calls, even though that totals 60 seconds of calling, you'll be shown to have used 10 minutes worth of calling for those calls.

@mk9lobo 

Ring time also counts for any completed outgoing call.

It absolutely does, @computergeek541 - thanks for adding that.

I've found that out the hard way years ago... in my mobile infancy years with a competitor pay-as-you-go service.

A connected call in which one actively talks for anywhere from 50-59 seconds will almost ALWAYS count as a 1-minute call with the provider.   The 'ringing' time can be substantial.

@HALIMACS wrote:

Great question, @mk9lobo 

With Public Mobile, any part of a minute rounds up to the next full minute.   Put another way, if you make 10 separate 6-second calls, even though that totals 60 seconds of calling, you'll be shown to have used 10 minutes worth of calling for those calls.

@mk9lobo 

Ring time also counts for any completed outgoing call.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Great question, @mk9lobo 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@mk9lobo wrote:

In my 1st month I used 54 minutes but web account showed 87 used.  Why did this happen?

@mk9lobo ,

I would go by your minutes used up in you Overview tab.

Note: that if you are checking your voicemail from your Public Mobile device than that uses outgoing minutes.

Use a wifi calling ap to call yourself or a another device or landline, then hit # and follow prompts to listen to voice mail. This will not use your outgoing mintues.

Need Help? Let's chat.