cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Many trackers monitoring this PM forum. Unsafe??

Tsawwassen
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I do clear my cache/history very frequently but trackers keep on tracking --- 

My Safari security settings keep on reporting many trackers every time I log on to this forum.

Just a few minutes ago I checked several of web sites I visit.--

PM Community, shows 37 trackers ------followed by Yahoo, 7 trackers -------google,  2 trackers -----Gmail, 0 trackers---- iCloud, 0 trackers-----Bell, 0 trackers.

Does this mean that this forum is not that safe from trackers and scammers?

PS.  WOW !!!! Just checked again and this time it reports that Safari has prevented 61 trackers from Yahoo.

12 REPLIES 12

Community_QA

@Tsawwassen   was it TD or another bank?

but yes, you just have to trust them. US and Canadian sites are mostly ok, they share your name for ad,

Asian site? be careful.  Chinese site would be worst

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

It's a part of internet usage these days @Tsawwassen , especially when browsing using any service such as Google.

The idea is they'll help you search and use fancy auto-fill tools to 'enhance your internet experience', but they take a piece of your internet habits and 'store' them for their business purposes, or to provide 3rd party vendors.

It is what it is for the vast majority of users.

@Tsawwassen wrote:

When I disable cookies - nothing much seems to load.

@Tsawwassen  - those sneaky, convenient cookies. Is there a 'middle ground' in your settings?

Tsawwassen

When I disable cookies - nothing much seems to load.

Tsawwassen

If you can't trust a Canadian Bank then who can you trust?  Recently in the news was reported that Trusted TD bank has many affiliated companies that it shares customer email and other information

Tsawwassen

Yes of course most of us do as you advise --- however some companies do manage to get by the security settings. I have two situations that I'm being bombarded by advertisements by Chinese companies that keep on coming despite my constantly clicking their un-subscribe links. I usually use alias emails, that if need be I can just delete, However, some companies can detect alias email addresses and ask for  a valid permanent email ---that I foolishly did.

Tsawwassen

I don't use Google Chrome - despite being constantly asked to switch to chrome. I believe that the more popular a browser or site is the more attractive it would be to trackers. I do realize that trackers are not necessarily scammers but just companies that want to sell you goods and services. Recently in the news was reported that Trusted TD bank has many affiliated companies that it shares customer email and other information. Also wonder how many trackers were not prevented by my Safari security settings. 

Meow
Mayor / Maire

This is the life in 21st century with Internet. EVERYBODY wants to take advantage of your wallet and adds are everywhere. Some sites would not exist if they do not show adds and allow 3rd party to grab visitors' data.

Use adblocker, restrict browser's security...

How can you see trackers on Chrome?

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Tsawwassen - i know it is freaky when you see those results. Shocked me before too.

"When you're tracked online, a tracker, such as a cookie or a tracking pixel, is inserted into the code of the website you're visiting. These tracking technologies could be owned by advertising and marketing companies, government agencies, or other monitoring authorities."

"The main purpose of cross-site tracking is to determine which products or services are of interest to users visiting another website. This allows marketers and webmasters to improve the customer experience on their sites by using data from visits to other sites to deliver targeted advertising and relevant content."

"In short, you don't need to worry. You're likely to collect more trackers the next time you use the internet, depending on which web browser you use and the privacy settings you've activated. Your two main concerns with trackers are your online privacy and the space these types of files can take up on your hard drive. "

How do I stop websites from tracking me?

TRY:
Settings. Cookies and other site data. Turn Send a "Do not track" request with your browsing traffic on or off.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Tsawwassen 

On my iPhone, I change all Location Services and Precise Locations.

When you download an app, it will ask you to agree with all their conditions and this include tracking.

You will need tracking for fast food apps but I switch it to While Using the App.

So go to Settings>Privacy & Security>Location Services>and change all apps to Never or While Using the app then disable Precise Locations on non restaurant  or non banking apps.

BTW, tracking will drain your battery faster too and tracking will have pop up ads in the location you are at so I also disable ads.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI@Tsawwassen   I don't believe any tracker free site these days.  I guess it is a matter of whether you trust the site owner or not.  It is sad, always access sites carefully

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Tsawwassen  Good question and I think any site where other can leave links for you to check info from other sites has the potential to be unsafe … but for the most part . I believe the members on this community are stand up individuals that are just trying to help others with the phone services woes 

Need Help? Let's chat.