cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MMS not working

Ocram
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I recently moved to Public Mobile and all is good except that I can't send MMS messages.  (That is, I can't send photos or group texts.)  I'm on Android btw.

I've tried various APN settings (rebooting between each change)

1. the default settings that were loaded
  2. the settings suggested by PM support here
  3. the settings suggested by apn.how (linked to from PM support)
  4. the settings from a phone on PM where things work
  5. the settings as suggested in a few other places in this community
  6. with all caps SP.MB.COM
  7. even tried deleting all APNs and starting over

Nothing works.  (I may try using the textra messaging app in Legacy mode as suggested here, but other sites suggest that app may have privacy issues.)  It seems Telus changed their MMS server settings a few months ago and broke things for a lot of people.  This is really annoying since my phone works fine with other carriers here and in Europe.  Looking at Telus' announcement though, I see my phone explicitly listed as being affected.

Is there any hope other than upgrading my phone (ridiculous imho), or dumping PM (and anything on Telus I guess)?

5 REPLIES 5

HI @Ocram 

the sim card shouldn't matter, the same old one should be the same as before (expect the "memory" inside is bettter, but it is almost irrelevant now as no one really save sms text or contacts on sim card anymore"

Ocram

Thanks.  I had tried variants of those things with no success.  I think the way I was testing things might have led me astray.  (See my response to softech.)

Ocram

Well, I'd swear I tried those settings already but they worked this time.  I think my testing was flawed before.  I was trying "resend" on a failed attempt to send an image.  When I tried with a fresh image this time, things worked!  (The "resend" still fails so it must be tied to the old settings somehow.)

Ftr, I ended up going with the longer "APN Type" setting.  I've settled on the "MVNO value" of "4D" as above but found that "4D4F", as I've seen elsewhere, also worked.

Thanks very much.  I was very close to giving up.

P.S. I wonder if this happened because I used an old PM SIM card we had lying around.  I wonder if a modern one would result in things working from the get-go.

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Hey @Ocram 

This worked for my buddy but on iPhone. Give it a try and see if you get the same results.

Go into your network settings, turn off automatic and pick Public Mobile. Then reboot. After you reboot, try sending or asking to receive one. 

The other thing is your auto download of MMS settings may be incorrect. Go into the Message App by clicking on the 3 dots top right corner, then to settings, then advanced and auto download MMS. if the option is set to On, try turning it off then rebooting. Then go back in and turn it back on. 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Ocram what phone do you have??

please check this APN settings again.  For some phones like OnePlus, you need to make a new APN profile, save and select the new one instead of updating existing one :

APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy:
Port:
Username: <blank>
Password: <blank>
Server:
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMS Proxy: mmscproxy.mobility.ca
MMS Port: 8799
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
Authentication Type: Not Set
APN Type: default,supl,mms
         or    default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri
           (might need to include DUN for hotspot, please note case sensitive)
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
APN enable/disable: APN enabled
                or  Turn APN on/off APN turned on
Bearer: Unspecified
MVNO (Mobile virtual network operator) type: GID
MVNO (Mobile virtual network operator)value: 4D

Need Help? Let's chat.