cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MMS delayed

abentley
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I'm getting MMS messages delayed by 2 days.

I'm using the "Messages" app from Google, on a Galaxy Note 5.

By coincidence I turned my phone off and on the day the messages were sent, but I didn't receive them when I turned the phone on.

I successfully received several SMSes while the MMSes were delayed.  The SMSes had no obvious delay. 

They were sent from iPhone users.  I don't know which carriers they were using, yet.  That shouldn't matter, though, right?

8 REPLIES 8

abentley

That's not the reason those things have become successful.  I've been using SMS/MMS since before iPhones were a thing, and I have never seen delays like this on Rogers, Wind/Freedom, or Mobilicity.

Whatsapp offers better features.  I know this.  I have it.  But these friends don't use it, because they use iMessage, which offers similar features.

IWIK
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Well I ate to make excuses for and open standard, but, there there is a reason things like bbm and whatsapp have become so popular

abentley

I had a cellular data connection.  I never had just wifi enabled, it was always cellular + wifi or cellular with wifi disconnected.

IWIK
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I don't believe that PM has MMS through wifi so you need cellular data connection correct?

abentley

My data is always enabled.  Also, there were times I was connected to data but was not connected to wifi.

Acekiller
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Is your data on the whole time? MMS can't be sent through wifi.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

"They were sent from iPhone users.  I don't know which carriers they were using, yet.  That shouldn't matter, though, right?"  -------- iPhones will initially try to send as data only and will search for your iCloud account before reverting to standard MMS.

Data is the other issue for MMS from iPhones as it requires cellular data to function on Android.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Mana
Mayor / Maire

If SMS or MMS are sent to you and your phone happens to be turned off or off the network, the messages are buffered in the server somewhere.

The server then try resending the messages at a later time and if your phone is on the network and turned on then you are able to recieve the messages.

In case of MMS there may be a delay in resending.

Have you tried receving MMS messages while your phone is turned on and available on the network?  If so, did you notice any delays?  

Need Help? Let's chat.