cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for suggestions for new phone.

tehowennathe
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I'm looking for a new Android phone.  Any suggestions for one with the latest version or one that will get upgrade to new version? I'm on a budget of $300 and don't want to go over. 

21 REPLIES 21

dna2016
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@stonechucker good point, as the Lounge is more for things unrelated to phones and service.  Didn't realize there are people that move posts.  

I don't agree this is being picky, just saying something belongs in a different place.  They might get more suggestions and feedback if it's in the right place.  Also, PM created these locations for a reason, if people don't realize or don't know about it, then it's not a bad thing to let them know.  Plus, if there are people MODS or Oracles who look for posts in wrong locations and moves them, then that tells me users aren't posting in proper locations and this is kind of an issue then, not major, but needing to create this type of job function means it is an issue.

@dna2016 wrote:

@tehowennathe This question definitely belongs in "The Lounge" forum, recommend you re-post there, might get more suggestions there.

The lounge is for social discussions.  This is my opinion only, but I think customers asking about phone purchasing options is totally on topic to getting this service.  So what if Public Mobile does not sell phones.  Every customer needs one.  How best to shop as a Public Mobile customer is relevant to using this service. 

@dna2016, really, it should be in Phones & Hardware if you're looking to reorganize.

Don't be so picky.  If it's really in the wrong spot, someone will move it.

Enjoy your day!

dna2016

@tehowennathe This question definitely belongs in "The Lounge" forum, recommend you re-post there, might get more suggestions there.

sosa
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

saw the reviews for xiaomi mi a2, dual sim. It's a really  good phone, not the best sound quality but it's pretty loud, the camera it's pretty good  especially the front facing camera. you get a really good deal for the price range. 

@mimmo wrote:

@will13am wasn't the essential on sale recently?

It is still available, online purchase only for $360 plus tax which is outside of the $300 budget.  Buying phones from carriers comes with the usual impediment, you need get a cell plan with them. 

GreatCanadian

You could have a look at Best Buy's selection of refurbished and unlocke phones. They have a large grouping of Android and Iphones that can be ordered and delivered to your door. Good luck whatever you choose to do.

sujan197

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@will13am wasn't the essential on sale recently?

@sujan197 wrote:

Asus Zenfone series are also good. 

So far it is working perfectly for me. I am using Asus Zenfone 3. Nut now Zenfone 5 is available in the market. it may be a little bit over than your budget but worthy. 

$300 is an extremely tight budget.  There are not too many phone options available for so little money.  Otherwise the Huawei P20 pro is worth a look due to good camera. 

sujan197

Asus Zenfone series are also good. 

So far it is working perfectly for me. I am using Asus Zenfone 3. Nut now Zenfone 5 is available in the market. it may be a little bit over than your budget but worthy. 

@tehowennathe wrote:

@Effort I use my phone for pictures for work. Does it have a good camera and micro SD slot?

The Mi A2 does not have a micro SD slot.  The Note line does.  The second SIM slot can be used to carry a micro SD card.  With respect to camera capability, performance is fine.  Just don't go comparing it to a real camera or a $1500 iPhone.  The Mi A2 should have much better low light performance as both front and rear cameras are f/1.75 vs f/2.0 on the Note line.  I have personally test drove the Note 5 only. 

@tehowennathe wrote:

Before that that's fine. Was actually looking at that phone but never knew it worked with public mobile 

Xiaomi sells "global edition" phones which have band 4, 1700 Mhz LTE.  These phones work in North America. 

Effort

The most important 4G band Public uses is 4(1700/2100) which the phone has. It doesn't have a microsd slot.

https://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_a2_(mi_6x)-9140.php#mi-a2 

The camera I do not know but watching some youtube videos such as this could give you a better idea.

tehowennathe

Should note need a phone with decent camera and Micro SD card slot. Use camera for social media post for work  

mh1983

Motos tend to be pretty reasonable. Can't speak to software upgrades; I'd say Google-manufactured phones are the best bet for guaranteed updates/support, but most manufacturers don't provide them for more than 2 years.

https://www.amazon.ca/Motorola-XT1767PP-5-0-inch-Unlocked-Packaging/dp/B074LXZ59Z/ref=sr_1_4?s=elect... is so cheap that the next model up is probably still in your price range and with Oreo.

If you're into security updates and don't mind a keyboard, the BlackBerry Keyone might be a good option, but I think it's still more than $300.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@tehowennathe, when you say upgrade to new version, I assume you mean OS upgrades.  Anyway, here are three options that meet budget requirement.  They are all fresh 2018 releases.  Because these phones are not marketed specifically for the North American market, you don't have to pay the huge markups.  11.11 (November 11) is the big sale day in Asia, equivalen to Black Friday/Cyber Monday.  That would be a good day to do the buying.  Aliexpress standard shipping uses the postal service and provides tracking.  Expect delivery in about 2 weeks, longer with the ongoing postal service labour disruptions.  There are no taxes and duty when using the standard shipping method.

https://xiaomionline.aliexpress.com/store/group/Redmi-Note-5/2178148_512702761.html?spm=2114.1201061...

https://xiaomionline.aliexpress.com/store/group/Redmi-Note-6-Pro/2178148_513925498.html?spm=2114.120...

https://xiaomionline.aliexpress.com/store/group/Mi-A2/2178148_513410363.html?spm=2114.12010612.pcSho...

The Note 5 and 6 are noted for their extremely long battery life.  Overall, I think the Mi A2 is the best option because it is an android one phone.  This means google pushes out the monthly security updates.  The phone has no bloatware and provides a pixel phone like experience for a fraction of the price.  More information on the android one program can be found in the link below. 

https://www.android.com/one/

tehowennathe

@Effort I use my phone for pictures for work. Does it have a good camera and micro SD slot?

tehowennathe

Before that that's fine. Was actually looking at that phone but never knew it worked with public mobile 

Effort

The Xiaomi Mi A2 can be gotten for $308 before tax on Amazon.ca.

https://www.amazon.ca/Xiaomi-64GB-Camera-AndroidOne-Smartphone/dp/B07FMPVBQR

If what you mean is max $300 after tax then it gets weird because of the Canadian dollar.

Need Help? Let's chat.