cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long Distance calls and texting

lynn1995
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi all I am going to Las Vegas in Sept 2022,what do I need to purchase to use my phone to call back home to Canada or text back home?

Do I need a roaming pack to? I want the biggest I can get so I don't go over minutes and can't use my phone. I'll also need to use my phone to call local taxi companies/Ubers.

TIA

10 REPLIES 10

@lynn1995 wrote:

I didn't need it yet so I didn't do it lol

I'm kinda new to Public Mobile,but I don't need the long distance calling to USA till maybe March or April.

Come on! 🙂 It is FREEbie. Take it, you never know when you will need it! I guess you never pick up change from the sidewalk either 🙂 🙂

As for US add-on, please note it starts as soon as you purchase it and is valid for 10 days only; use it or lose it.

US roaming cannot be stacked. Next one has to be purchased after initial expire but you have to wait 24 hours. But since you will be there 8 days only one add-on will work for you.

When you are in US, try to connect to AT&T or T-mobile. One could be better than the other so, if one doesn't work well, try the other one.

Purchasing an add-on after logging in into your PM account is a two-step process. You need to load funds first and then purchase add on.

1. Add funds to your PM account: Any funds to buy add-ons come from your balance, so manually add funds to your available balance first.
  2. Buy Add-On: You will actually buy the add-on after you add funds to your account or else you won't have funds to actually buy the add-on. Funds to buy add-on come from Your account (after adding funds in step #1) and not directly from your credit card.

@lynn1995 wrote:

I'm kinda new to Public Mobile,but I don't need the long distance calling to USA till maybe March or April.

OK @lynn1995 , yet still check out your self serve to make sure you received these free bonus gifts.  The line items will look like this under your My Data and Add-On's section:

HALIMACS_0-1640133785530.png

These add-ons, once added, remain on the account until they are fully consumed (i.e. they don't expire at the end of your cycle).   All you need to do is reply "YES" to the text from Public Mobile with the offer.   

If you activated in the last few weeks, they'll automatically be added to your account.

If you DON'T have these, contact a Customer Support Agent to request they add them.  Do that by clicking here 

@lynn1995 

Don't wait to add them they are only available until the end of the month. With the exception of the 10 day US roaming add ons.....all add ons at pm whether gifted, promotional or purchased have no expiry date. You get them once and they are added to your account where they sit rolling over every 30 days until you need them.

So you don't need to call the US until March or April then they will just sit unused in your account until you make that first call. If they were free they are always free. If you bought one then it's bought and paid for....yours to keep or use for as long as there still remains at least 1mb or 1min left remaining on the add on. Once you use that last one though then poof it will disappear from your account.

And don't worry you won't be charged again or for extra fees or overages. When plan minutes or data run out it will switch to use an add on if you have one. If you don't that part of your service will stop til renewal or you acquire an add on.

Other than enabling autopay to pay for your plan amount once every 30 days if you don't top up manually yourself. Otherwise you have to add funds manually to your balance and only you will select, confirm and submit any purchases in your account. Pm does not have preauthorization permissions to charge your card with impunity....they only attempt to charge your owing plan amount to your card on file once every 30 days.

For info on US roaming add ons....

Spoiler

Here is some info about US roaming add ons that should help you.....

1. While you have to have an active plan to purchase and use US roaming add ons the type of plan you have does not affect the roaming add ons features.
  2. US roaming add ons start the moment you confirm and submit your purchase in your self serve account and expire 240 hours later (10 days×24 hours).
  3. You can pre-load the funds needed to purchase the add ons in your self serve account so you only have to log in, select the US roaming add on and then confirm and submit your purchase.
  4. Wait til late as possible to purchase since they are immediately valid so on free wifi at the destination airport or stopping shortly before the border at mcd's or timmy's to buy the add on while on free wifi.
  5. If you are staying longer than 10 days you must wait a minimum of 24 hours to purchase the same US roaming add on or contact the moderators to add it before the waiting period ends.
  6. If you have two US roaming add ons with a talk feature that overlap the talk feature basically gets disabled. Avoid this....but you will have to get one removed by a moderator to get your calling feature back if this happens.
  7. After purchase reboot your phone and manually select either at&t or T-mobile to get better reception. Some areas have better coverage by either provider so when travelling around the US you will be better served by choosing the provider with better signal strength by locale.
  8. You will recieve incoming texts without any US roaming add ons. Adding the fongo app and textnow app for use on wifi are good to use for a back up plan or you could call forward your pm phone # to your fongo # before you leave Canada and purchase just the US data roaming add on. Fongo also works on mobile data (1 min=0.5mb/100 min=50mb) so you could still recieve incoming pm texts, recieve incoming pm calls to your fongo #/app, outgoing calls from your fongo number and outgoing  texts from textnow for free or small fee from fongo.
  9. All US roaming add ons have either unlimted text, talk or both. Only data has limits depending on your purchase 250mb/500mb/1gb. Once the data is consumed it will just stop you could then purchase different roaming add on, wait 24 hr to buy or contact the moderator to buy the same US roaming add on again. (* except talk as previously mentioned.)

@lynn1995 wrote:

If you received the More is Merrier free gifts of 2 GB of data and 500minutes of International calling...you're all set to call most any US number as long as your call is made from Canada.

Log in to your account / My Data and Add-ons to see if you have the free gifts. Let us know if it's not there.

You will need the 10 Day US Roaming options in order to call US and Canada while you're in US. The add-on starts as soon as you buy it so maybe load $$ into you account...then buy the add-on when you land.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@lynn1995 

you have until December 31, 2021 to redeem your holiday offers Free.

[Update] More is Merrier is back! Community (publicmobile.ca)

check out your SMS, 

lynn1995

@lynn1995 

You shouldn't have to buy an add-on that allows you to call from Canada to the US.

Public mobile recently released a free bonus 500 minute International add-on which includes calling to many countries, including the United States. (Also,  you get one-time 2 GB bonus data for FREE)

You should have received a text from Public Mobile providing you with the option to receive this, all you needed to do was reply yes to it to receive it.

lynn1995

Thank you so much! We are only going for 8 days so the 10 day plan is perfect!

I'm also going to add on the call USA from Canada before we go so I can call and book stuff from home 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

@lynn1995 

For US Roaming 10 day packages
Unlimited U.S. Talk, Text and 250MB Data Bundle = $20
Unlimited U.S. Talk and Text Bundle = $15
Unlimited U.S. Talk Only = $8
Unlimited U.S. Text Only = $8
U.S. Data Only 10 day packages
250MB = $10
500MB = $15
1GB = $20

when you visit U.S. and then Purchase it,

sign in to Self-Serve, to review your account, 

How To Purchase Add-Ons Using Your Self-Serve Account

Follow these steps:

1. Click on ‘Purchase Add- Ons’ on the Overview tab and scroll down to the Add-On calculator.
  2. Click the plus sign (+) to add and the minus sign (-) to remove selected Add-ons.
  3. When you’ve added all your desired Add-Ons, click ‘Buy Add-Ons’ or ‘Make a Payment’ below the calculator:
    • You will see ‘Make a Payment’ instead of ‘Buy Add-Ons’
  4. Select ‘Confirm my purchase’,
  5. after purchase successful you have to do Rebooting your phone
    what is meant by rebooting the device turn off and turn it back on.

review of Add-ons visit Here link...

make sure enable roaming on,
Try manually selecting either of  AT&T or T-Mobile, whichever works best for you,
for Re-Purchase Add-ons you need to wait 25 hours after the expiry first Purchase Add-ons or you need to Contact Customer Support Agent by CS_Agentto do it for you..

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@lynn1995 

You'll need to purchase a US roaming add-on. There are many options available under the shop tab / plans above.

These are only good for 10 days at a time.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/plans#plans-start

Need Help? Let's chat.