cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Koodo (sim) to Public Mobile (eSim) ?

Luschka
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My Wife is currently on Koodo with a physical sim card, and I would like to switch her over to Public ... using the eSim on her iPhone 12

Is this doable? If so, can I keep her phone number also so it is ported over to her new Public account?

14 REPLIES 14

@simplethings They're misinformed. iPhone's 10 and newer have esim capabilities. The 12 absolutely has esim.

simplethings
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Can you confirm you have esim working on an iPhone 12 with public Mobile? I was told today by PM tech support (Catalin) that only iPhone 13 or newer are PM esim compatible and that iPhone 12 series is not. I suspected they lied to me to get me of their back so I'm trying to confirm if others who have iPhone 12 series phones are successfully using esims with PM. Thanks.

joshua5678

Yes you cam keep your old phone number, Just get your old phone account number, that's few digital numbers, than.transfer you old phone number to Public mobile in ten minutes.

call you pre provider, ask for you account number, and some phone provider's App already list account number.

@Luschka 

Welcome to PM, enjoy

Amazing - welcome!

Luschka

Done! eSim setup, number ported ... slick as can be in less than 5 minutes !

Have a good weekend all.

@Luschka  yup, the convenience is the Pro.. 🙂

Luschka

well it is Saturday, a holiday, I have time today to do this lol

If the only downside is $5 down the road, no big deal in my mind ... the eSim today is free anyhow. 

Appreciate all the replies.

@Luschka 

i would suggest she gets a physical sim card instead

With eSIM, it is not transferable to new phone.  Also, if ever the phone is wiped, you will need to pay $5 to re-buy a new sim.  No such trouble with physical sim cards

Buy physical sim cards from:

@Luschka if you get an e-sim now, when she gets a new phone she'll need to buy another esim or a physical sim.

Luschka

She has been on a Koodo tab for years (postpaid), finally paid off so time to switch over.

So if I do the eSim now .. all is fine. However if and when she gets a new iPhone, I will have to buy a physical Public sim at that point and set that up?

Meow
Mayor / Maire

It is doable but Why would you like to have eSIM? eSIM is not transferrable from phone to phone while physical SIM can be moved from phone A to phone B with ease. If her iPhone dies or whatever you will have to buy NEW SIM in order to continue PM service.

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

Absolutely. I'd recommend physical PM sim over esim though, because esim can't be transfered so you'll have to buy a new one every time you change phones.

If you do decide to get a physical sim, do not buy it off the PM website as it's common for those to take 3 weeks or more to arrive. Best to find a local Telus/Koodo store that may have stock, or buy from Amazon for $5 (Prime eligible).

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Luschka 

definitely doable

is she using Koodo Postpaid?  Just create the account, pick eSIM and activate and choose to port the phone number. Enter the account number as porting information.  (if she is using Koodo Prepaid, the only difference in the process is to pick a new number first, once fully activated, open ticket with PM support for a manual porting help)

Need Help? Let's chat.