cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping a little used PM SIM ?

Graphite
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My son came to visit Canada for a holiday and business trip. He needed data for a short while.

I put him on to PM for a month. He has gone now and left me the SIM - is it worth keeping for another visitor if required - save buying a new SIM - and just top up the spare card we have?

Thanks

Mick

10 REPLIES 10

@bluejaywpg wrote:

I'm curious. Is there a security reason for this type of practice (one time use SIMs essentially)? Or is this just a money-making practice to say that a used / lapsed SIM can never ever be used again?

@bluejaywpg   The latter...

bluejaywpg
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I'm curious. Is there a security reason for this type of practice (one time use SIMs essentially)? Or is this just a money-making practice to say that a used / lapsed SIM can never ever be used again?

@Graphite 

If more than 90 days has not passed since there was last active service on the account/sim card then the account is still active and the sim card can still be used.

Quite a few of us members maintain what we call a "data" account on the lowest plan available. Currently that is the $15 plan. Since pm sometimes gives free add on gifts (like maybe sometime this month....stay tuned) we make sure we pay and reactivate the accounts every 85 to 88 days. Or to recieve freebies the account has to be active. After 30 days we suspend again until we need the extra data or before we reach the 90 day threshold of no return.

If you keep autopay active you will also recieve the $2 rewards for each 30 days of active service. However to do this you must suspend the account by using the lost/stolen feature in the self serve account. (If you have an account balance greater than the plan amount this is they only way you can suspend your service without the balance being used to pay for your plan renewal.)

If you suspend the account before midnight eastern the night before the renewal date you will also maintain active voicemail services. The only catch is the rewards will not apply and you must contact customer support after you pay and reactivate and ask them to apply the rewards manually.

Maintaining an account/sim card in this fashion allows you to keep the account for about $39+tax per 350 days or so.....$15 - $2 autopay reward=$13/30days × 3= $39+tax

You can also change the plan before paying and reactivating in anticipation of a visitor to the plan appropriate to their needs when visiting.

1. Just remember to resume service via lost/stolen.
  2. Choose the plan to change to ie. $40/5gb plan.
  3. Choose change plan now.
  4. Make a payment of $40 by topping up the account manually from your autopay card.
  5. The new plan and service will automatically reactivate.
  6. Then get the CSA to apply the rewards missing from the last suspension.

Hope this helps if the account and sim card has not passed the 90 day mark. Welcome to the community! We are always happy to help!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Graphite 

when you Activate a SIM card you can't reactivate after 90 days ,,you have to buy it a new one

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Graphite wrote:

My son came to visit Canada for a holiday and business trip. He needed data for a short while.

I put him on to PM for a month. He has gone now and left me the SIM - is it worth keeping for another visitor if required - save buying a new SIM - and just top up the spare card we have?

Thanks

Mick

@Graphite   your PM account can be suspended for 90 days without payment.  As long as you reactivate without 90 days, you can keep the number

Just let the current cycle expires and see if you have another visitor again in 90 days.  

If not, no worry, the account will be closed.  

next time when you need, it, just buy a new SIM, it's  usually $10  but some stores might give it to you for free if you activate with them

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@Graphite 

You have 90 days from your renewal date to keep the account/sim active. You can change the plan to $15 to keep the cost low. If after 90 days with no payment account is closed automatically and sim useless.

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

It is not re usable. 

But is handy to have if you are setting up a phone and it asks for a SIM to proceed. 

I have  some new ones laying around if you need another. 

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Graphite wrote:

Thanks

Mick

@Graphite   If you don't keep payments topped every 85 days on your son's account, then the account, number and SIM become deactivated.  Deactivated SIMs cannot be reused. 

You can purchase a SIM for half price right now from the PM website or probably less from CCS and keep that for any visiting guests.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Graphite 

depends on your son when will be back a long time or short time,

For Reactivate a suspended plan (publicmobile.ca)

Need Help? Let's chat.