cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue With New Phone

tehowennathe
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I recently got my Doogee X95 that I ordered from AliExpress. When I first checked if it was compatible with public mobile everything said yes. Now that I got it I can't get a signal. Network compatibility websites no longer list it as having most bands for Canada. Says it only has band 7 for LTE in Canada. Would it still work even with just one LTE band? If not wasn't a total loss on a $80 phone

27 REPLIES 27

tehowennathe

@computergeek541 

Have people on Android forums saying it should work no issue as it's a global version. I don't know if it will or not

@tehowennathe wrote:

@gblackma 

They never said specifically works on public mobile just that it's compatible with some north American networks

That part about it working on some North American networks is true.  If it has LTE Band 7, it'll even work at Public Mobile sometimes, but no voice services will be available.

tehowennathe

@gblackma 

They never said specifically works on public mobile just that it's compatible with some north American networks

tehowennathe

@computergeek541 

Had ordered it from AliExpress as Doogee website linked the phone to AliExpress

tehowennathe

@computergeek541 

Yes the one website I looked at said it was compatible with Public Mobile only missing one band. That's why I ordered it. Now others say it's not and I can't get it to work

@gblackma  OP don't like Textnow 😝

Screenshot_20200714_071749.jpg

@gblackma I understand now.  That's so the device doesn't go to waste.  The phone will still need to be replaced.

@cellphoneuser1I'm just suggesting a possible use for the phone. Over wifi its a homephone. No portability.  Still needs a cell phone. So PM will be paid. Stay safe. 

@gblackma 

A new phone is needed. It pretty much is lost if the phone isn't able to do Public 3g. That means no calls. Data and text will barely work on LTE band 7.  And if using wi-fi only, there's no reason to pay Public.

Sorry @tehowennathe however, all is not lost. you can still use the phone as a homephone. Add the TextNow app and use it over WiFi to make/ receive/ send calls and texts within Canada and to and from the US for free. Stay safe. 

Do you have the chat on Aliexpress where you asked if this phone is compatible with Public Mobile? I would open a ticket and ask for a refund or at least a partial refund since the phone isn't as promised. 

@tehowennathe unfortunately I just went to their website and they use bands 1 and 8 for 3g. which is 900mhz and 2100mhz so talk will not work on this device. sorry

SIM CardDual SIM Cards Standby
Nano-SIM + Nano-SIM / Nano- SIM +TF Card
    2GGSM: 850/900/1800/1900MHz
    3G3G:B1/B8
    4G4G:B1/3/7/8/20

pm frequencies.jpeg

Anonymous
Not applicable

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Jb456 wrote:

The one I see on Amazon says these specs.

Another site says this

kimovil is wrong off the bat anyway as there's no 2G here.

Not sure why doogee themselves can't bring themselves to list all the specs leaving it to the sellers. Sigh.

That screenshot from is showing technolgies and frequencies for all of Canada. Public Mobile also does not use band 4 for 3g (but some other carriers do).  I do understand the point though that this source is saying that there will be no voice service at Public Mobile with this phone model.

But then the reader would have to know that talk is only on 3G.

It can certainly be confusing when GSM is often mentioned in those kinds of international ad listings but then they might say that it would work with the likes of AT&T and such and not CDMA like they say for Verizon...which would then imply that it would work here.

@Anonymous wrote:

@Jb456 wrote:

Another site says this

Not sure why doogee themselves can't bring themselves to list all the specs leaving it to the sellers. Sigh.

That screenshot from is showing technolgies and frequencies for all of Canada. Public Mobile also does not use band 4 for 3g (but some other carriers do).  I do understand the point though that this source is saying that there will be no voice service at Public Mobile with this phone model.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jb456 wrote:

Another site says this

@mpcdesign wrote:

@tehowennathe, that's pretty cool that you picked up a Doogee X95 for $80 and on Amazon.ca it's $215! 

Network frequencies at Public Mobile are

• HSPA: 850 MHz and 1900 MHz frequencies
  • LTE: 1700/2100 MHz (AWS)
  • LTE Advanced (LTE-a): 2600 MHz and 700 MHz

Doogee X95

• GSM: 850/900/1800/1900MHz

The GSM specs don't meant that the phone doesn't have HSPA, but as you now know, these don't mean anything for Public Mobile.

For LTE, Public Mobile uses more frequencies than that.

As for the Amazon.ca price, that's a third-party seller selling that and the shipment isn't even being handed by Amazon. I know that that the Amazon A-Z guarantee might be worth something, but for that price, you may as well order from that seller's website directly, or from other sellers, likely for a much lower price. 

Screenshot_20200714_012323.jpg

Another site says this

Screenshot_20200714_012404.jpg

@mpcdesign GSM (2G) is not the same as HSPA (3G). Your frequencies correlate but not the technology... PM does not support any GSM (2G)

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

@tehowennathe, that's pretty cool that you picked up a Doogee X95 for $80 and on Amazon.ca it's $215! 

Network frequencies at Public Mobile are

• HSPA: 850 MHz and 1900 MHz frequencies
  • LTE: 1700/2100 MHz (AWS)
  • LTE Advanced (LTE-a): 2600 MHz and 700 MHz

Doogee X95

• GSM: 850/900/1800/1900MHz

So, me think, it may not work. Although, because your phone only says GSM. Nothing for HSPA. But, the description on the phone does say LTE. Global Dual SIM LTE. 

Okay, am not much help here. I'll shut-up now!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Both official sellers refute the devicespecifications site.

@fdrcamb519 wrote:

@tehowennathe 

Being a new phone, I’m pretty sure it will work, just have to try different configurations.

Being a newer model doesn't ensure compatibility. I've looked at a few websites, and while I have found one that says that the Doogee X95 is compatible with Public Mobile, every other site that I've seen says that this phone does not have any of the 3g frequencies used in Canada. As stated earlier, without HSPA network compatibility, this phone will not work for phone calls at Public. This device would connect to Band 7 LTE (if it has it), but this is a very high frequency and does not provide good coverage, and we can't forget the fact that phone calls still will not work.

fdrcamb519
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@tehowennathe 

Being a new phone, I’m pretty sure it will work, just have to try different configurations.

@tehowennathe this phone should have the correct frequencies especially if it was just released a few months ago

https://www.devicespecifications.com/en/model/d8c25347

try changing your preferred network type to 3g(wcdma/GSM)

I know another user that had 3 doogee phones, but he wasn't able to get data to work because his apn was greyed out. there's a bypass method, by using a freedom mobile sim card to unlock the apn

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

Interesting phone, but quite crippled in Canada. You might still be able to get 2G GSM on Rogers, but that network is imminently shutting down.

Telus/SaskTel/Bell networks that Public Mobile runs on does have pockets of 2600Mhz LTE in urban areas due to the shorter range of the higher frequency, but on PM if you get that signal you'll only be able to use it for data/sms/mms, not calls unfortunately...

I previously used a BlackBerry Q10 which does LTE only on Band 7/2600Mhz as well - and rogers did have it well deployed 5 years ago, the Telus/SaskTel/Bell networks have much more of it around recently as it is used to for dual-carrier LTE for more speed.

If it's not working at the initial location you tried, try it in a few other denser urban areas as well if you just want to see if it will work at all...

The tower locator map may help to find towers that claim to be on 2600mhz:

https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

tehowennathe

Doogee only has one model of the X95 which is a global version

@tehowennathe wrote:

I recently got my Doogee X95 that I ordered from AliExpress. When I first checked if it was compatible with public mobile everything said yes. Now that I got it I can't get a signal. Network compatibility websites no longer list it as having most bands for Canada. Says it only has band 7 for LTE in Canada. Would it still work even with just one LTE band? If not wasn't a total loss on a $80 phone

LTE compatibility is not the first thing you should be checking, nor is LTE required. To this day, the official Public Mobile provided information fails to tell customers that HSPA network compatibility is required for phone calls.  The first thing that any customers should be checking for HSPA Bands 2 and 5.  As for for the site no longer listing compatible network technologies and bands, it's possible that they realized a mistake.

tehowennathe

I asked seller before hand on AliExpress if it's compatible with Canadian networks. They told be all I had to do was pop in sim card. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@tehowennathe wrote:

If you connect to a tower broadcasting on that band then you can use the data. But not talk. SMS would be fine too.

Maybe you ended up with a slight model variation rather than what you thought you were going to get.

Need Help? Let's chat.