cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this text from Public Mobile fake?

themaritimegirl
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My Mom and I just got a suspicious text supposedly from Public Mobile. The number is 89362, and the text reads:

"Public Mobile here
We're offering all customers impacted by Hurricane Fiona a free 30 day 2GB data bonus to help keep you connec... https://evb.gg/n#k66666nytaw"

The unique number, weird URL, and punctuation error tip me off to this being a scam. Can anybody confirm or deny?

30 REPLIES 30

terrahughes
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

It isn't fake! It was a limited time promotional offer... Only had a certain amount of time to add it to your account. A lot of pm customers were able too add it onto their accounts, as so did I. Don't know if you can still add it or not, but it's under my account, then plans and add-ons, scroll down to the bottom and it says promotional code 

terrahughes

Yea my account, and the code is a promotional add-on, but to get too plans and add-ons you have go to my account first 

terrahughes

Under plans and add-ons, scroll down and you will see promotional code, type the code in that box

terrahughes

Yes, the code is legit... My nephew msged me about it. I msged an agent and the code is legit, but for it to go onto your account, you have to sign into your My Account on the self serve page, click on the drop down Arrow and click on plans and add-ons, scroll down and where it says promotional code, type the code in exactly how it shows you from the link (the link only gives you the code) then click to add it. If you need help, msg me

terrahughes

The link is for the code itself, you have too 

sign into your My Account self serve page, click on the my account drop down box and click plans and add-ons, scroll down there and it will say promotional code, type the code in, I just finished putting it in on my account. I thought it was fake as well, so I msged an agent about it, and it is legit, if you need help, by all means msg me

terrahughes

You have to sign into your My Account self serve page, click on the my account drop down box and click plans and add-ons, scroll down there and it will say promotional code, type the code in, I just finished putting it in on my account.

terrahughes

The link is to get the code, you have to sign into your My Account self serve page, then click the drop down arrow, click on plan and add-ons, scroll down and type the code in where it says promotional code 

terrahughes

I just added it to me account... So it is legit... Sign into My Account on the self serve page, click the drop down arrow, click plans and add-ons when in there, scroll down and type the code in where it says promotional code

terrahughes

The link is to get the code ... You actually have to sign into your My Account to put the code in.

You have to sign into your My Account self serve page, click on the my account drop down box and click plans and add-ons, scroll down there and it will say promotional code, type the code in, I just finished putting it in on my account. If you need help, by all means msg me

terrahughes

You have to sign into your My Account self serve page, click on the my account drop down box and click plans and add-ons, scroll down there and it will say promotional code, type the code in, I just finished putting it in on my account. If you need help, by all means msg me

terrahughes

I got the same text, I msgs an agent about it .. they got back to me... This is how you put the code in

The link is to get the code... I just added it on mine.... What you do is sign into you My Account on self serve and click on plans and add-ons, scroll down and where it says promotional code, type in 2GBFiona and it will be added to your account

terrahughes

The link is to get the code... I just added it on mine.... What you do is sign into you My Account on self serve and click on plans and add-ons, scroll down and where it says promotional code, type in 2GBFiona and it will be added to your account

edk
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My worked 30 min ago.

edk

Yes it is real. Go to Plans and Add-On,   at the bottom right but in promotion code  "2GBFiona"

Stells

Could you please shed more light on how you added it? I don’t see any option for it under plans & add-ons

sarapelrine

It's not fake, it does work. I've successfully added it to my phone and my husbands phone (he is NOT tech savvy lol) 

joelmackenzie

Thanks.  It worked for me.

Weird that the message said to go to "My Account", when you should really go to "Plans and Add-ons".

Also weird that those two pages are almost exactly the same.

drsiha

Under 'Plans and Add-ons' but the code doesn't work at this moment

joelmackenzie

Got the same message.  I couldn't find the place to put the promo code. 

StayFrosty

Exactly.  Concerned this is a malicious fake.  (I stupidly clicked it...)

drsiha

Canadian telecom companies are just ridiculous. Imagine when internet is hardly available, how can customers 'log in' to their account to add a promo code! Do Public Mobile employees bring their brains to work???

the page was just asking you to login to My Account,  why not just put that in the sms?  why need another link?

nicfor19

Got the same message

drsiha

The code doesn't work at this moment.

JaniceSmith

I too had it say it wasn’t a valid code

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

I very much dislike companies using these short urls for their marketing. They have their own capability to link to their own pages. Why use shortened ones.

I'm not sure short codes sources can be faked though. I think it's a form of showing validity.

Charlobar

Got it too, haven’t been able to sign in and redeem yet though.  Heard all the telecom companies are offering some kind of bonus data because of Fiona, so pretty sure this is legit.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

To be safe, go with the threads from the announcement section of this forum.  

jamalbrown4321

Good question, i am also wondering the same, i attempted to use the promo code and it said it’s not a valid promotion code

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@themaritimegirl , the site looks fake.  Public Mobile does offer deals, usually information is found on this site or in emails from Public Mobile.  Public Mobile ads do come from 4 digit short SMS numbers, 4911 comes to mind but the url link has Public Mobile in it.  

Need Help? Let's chat.