cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any way to block unrecognized callers?

Jemma1967
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I'm having a problem with a telephone marketing company constantly calling. They use a VOIP system so they're calling from numbers all across Canada trying to get me to sign up to some AI trading platform. I've asked them to stop calling and remove my number but still getting up to 8 calls a day starting around 5am PST. It's driving me crazy. Is there any way to block unrecognized callers (anyone who isn't in my contacts) from being able to call? 

Any ideas?  

9 REPLIES 9

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@Jemma1967   What phone do you have?  The live voicemail on recent iPhones updated to ios17 seems to work well for me so far although I haven't had a lot of practice with it.   You can send the call to the live voicemail and callers get a message from Apple saying you're not available and if they decide to leave a message you can see it being transcribed and decide to take the call or not.  As far as I know if you reject it at that point then it doesn't get as far as PM voicemail.

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Truthfully...  if Telus offers Call Control for free to its' customers....  it should be available to ALL network customers including Koodo and Public Mobile. Just saying....  I totally forgot I had it so I set it up tonight. It will really annoy my friends. LOL

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Jemma1967 

NEVER answer any calls from numbers/people you either don't recognize or are not on your contact list.  It can be difficult to ignore a call, but you will get used to it.  

If the person calling you needs you that badly, they will leave a voice message; if they don't bother leaving one, you likely didn't need to hear from them in the first place.

IF YOU DO ANSWER, and the caller is a spammer, it's likely your number will get logged as one which will get answered, so anticipate spam calling to increase (at least in the short term).  Additionally, companies sell information to others for numbers which result in answered calls, so also bear that in mind.

TheSterlinger
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

When you figure it out please let us know😒. I don't know if anyone that had not received those calls. Some of them leave vm that are not even in English!! The funniest is when 'CRA' calls. Or the lawyers offices😁😁

LitlLdy
Mayor / Maire

@Jemma1967 , on my iPhone I can select silence unknown callers but they can still leave voicemails, it doesn’t block them. Incoming calls from my contacts will ring through to my iPhone. I find YouMail does better though.

Edit: I have my phone number registered on “Canada’s National Do Not Call List” but it doesn’t mean some will still not contact us.

@Jemma1967 wrote:

I'm having a problem with a telephone marketing company constantly calling. They use a VOIP system so they're calling from numbers all across Canada trying to get me to sign up to some AI trading platform. I've asked them to stop calling and remove my number but still getting up to 8 calls a day starting around 5am PST. It's driving me crazy. Is there any way to block unrecognized callers (anyone who isn't in my contacts) from being able to call? 

Any ideas?  

Current Pixel devices and newer Samsung devcies (and other brands too) have options to send phone numbers not saved in the contact list directly to voicemail. Pixel devices also have call screening software installed.  Thirdy party apps can answer calls and disconnect to other person so that a voice message can't be left.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Jemma1967 

no, there is no service from PM that can block it

But if you have iPhone or Google Pixel, they have features to only ring with callers on your contacts and send all others not on your contacts to VM.  That is as far as you can get

TheSterlinger
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I'm not sure PM offers that, maybe try apps you can download.

Need Help? Let's chat.